What is it like at 185+ mph

hank

Registered
Tell me, what is it like going 185 mph on a Busa. I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to wring-it-out (this could be a good thing). I understand you need about 4 miles of good straight smooth road, got to lay on the tank, helmet shield needs to be locked, arms tucked in and don't sit up over 140 mph! What does the bike feel like at this speed and what goes thru your head besides air - requirement for this insanity. This must be the best treatment for depression possible. After the rush are you wired and/or wiped out.

If you are crazy enough to go on a straight road you only need 9/10's of a mike to do 204mph. make sue you have nop winds for over 160mph.

The first time I topped mine out at 300 kph it was a rush there were no cross wind's it was unreal the wind force was huge i wouldent dare pop my head up over the wind screen, but what was really amazing was how solid the bike felt it never gave me a reason to doubt fear that I was going beyond its abilities.
Afterward's when i slowed down and realized that i was just doing 5 km a minute i started to grin ear to ear i and i could almost feel my heart beat........
aktion035.gif

wow.gif
I've been over 160 mph so far but just kept thinking too much like "what if" something crosses my path right now or "what if" I suddenly start to go for a walk at this speed??? I wish I was a little younger I dont think I used to think
dozingoff.gif

i went 155 on a ninja ZX6R
that was the fastest ive ever been in anything short of a plane.

the bike is pretty light and didnt feel all that stable. and it wasnt mine so i thought..hmm if somethin happens i bet he'll be a bit pissed
there was a slight wind (felt slight at 60) but felt amplified to a large steady gust after i got over 140 ish.

she was still climbing but i wussed out
i as well had that heart pounding senesation..and i loved it

I've seen 190 on the clock, one night when it was nice and quiet. The bike was as solid as a rock. In fact, tucked in behind the screen (double bubble) it feels like you're almost detached from the outside, strangely still and quite (apart from the little bit of work the engines doing). Afterwards, same as wolfe, grinning and laughing to myself like a little kid. High or what.

I have been over 140 on many occassions and 165+ twice and I have to concur about how the rider and the bike become one. It's amazing how well the windtunnel design works so well in a pratical application. (OK, I'm an engineer and like to look at things differently)

All I can say the feeling is like no other. As long as there are no distractions, low or no crosswind, and minimal traffic its a feeling that we all need to experience. Next run will be to 185!
aktion033.gif
aktion035.gif

I have rode the Captains Busa.... 1 time...We hit a small straight away and he moved over and gave me the "All clear" and motioned me past him...Well I just couldn't pass this up right...I rolled on the throttle and hit 150 so fast, I could not believe it..The Busa pulled as had at 150 as my Katana 750 does at 80..The Busa was pulling so hard, that I was holding on more than just trying to stay tucked...The bike was sooo smooth and the throttle was crisp and responsive...It is the fastest thing that I have ever driven, bar none...It's funny how the broken white line turns solid...I wanted to go faster, but the bike was not mine and it really was starting to scare me at how hard this bike was pulling...Its like I told it "more, more, more" and it said "No problem, hang on and check this out".

I went 150 or so today and it came really fast, as you Busa guys know. All was good no big deal at all

Burley1
aktion035.gif

I've had mine out for a full speed run a few times. the first time I was just loving it. after the first time you start to listen to the engine- makes a hungry sound- you can hear the induction system working- love that sound. the bike is rock solid, no wobble, not even a little. you don't feel at all out of control or worried.

I have just had my first service done, and on the way home I decided to "top it out". Picked the road and rode down the length of it to check for debris, cats, and other undesirable items. My '01 is stock save for a ZeroGravity Sport-Touring windshield. I had my Garmin EMap in the map pocket of my tank bag. Rowed through the gears, pulled hard throughout 5th gear, shifted into 6th. "Seems to accelerate well above an indicated 170", I thought. When it reached an indicated 182 (approx.) it...well, it just stopped accelerating. I thought "this must be the f!#!#ng limiter", and rolled off. Pulled over and looked at the MAX SPEED in Trip Information: 165.8. Sigh.

I have already determined that the speedometer is off between 9 to 10 percent, so I am installing a Yellow Box to correct that error. Then I should be able to comment 185 on the Busa.

By the way, the highest speed I have ever gone is 179.2 (on RADAR) on my '90 FZR1000. I had made a lot of mods to that bike for it to turn that number. I'm sure my Busa will stomp that after I correct the speedo error, or maybe install a TRE.

Mike

amsctalx

Yellow box will get you some actual speeds with a lot of adjusting. You are correct on the amount of Speedo error. The Tach is off also a bit. Sounds like you hit the rev limiter not the speed restrictor. You can hit speeds of 180's before the restrictor kicks in. After that you need the TRE.

Ninja Eater -

The tach was well below what seemed to be the fuel shut-off (FSO) point for fifth gear, which was above the indicated red-line. That point may be different for sixth, so I don't ***think*** it hit the rev limiter (could be wrong). What I read in the October 2001 Sport Rider leads me to believe that if I see, say, 180 MPH on the speedo the PCM sees the same speed. Sport rider noted that the bike quit accelerating at about 185 on the dyno. On the road they saw a maximum speed of 183.9 (on RADAR) on a unmodified 2001 and 193 with a TRE and yellow box.

I'll probably order an ATRE this week and install after I run it again with the Yellow Box in place and configured.

Mike

Good idea to compare when you get the ATRE. If only takes about 5 mionutes to put on and off. Use a GPS if youhave one handy.

Yeah, keep me posted on how that TRE/Yellow Box stuff goes. I know my speedo is off 'some amount' but didn't think it would be THAT much (182 vs. 165). I was figuring 145 was about 138-140 indicated. It's SOOOO damn easy to go that fast, I mean you're clipping along at 80 as a normal speed anyway, so its just a flick of the wrist and in 5 seconds you're doing warp speed and its still pulling the bike out from under you! Yes, you have one hell of a grin on your face after a radar run!! I'm REAL happy every time I pull in the driveway after that! Also, I have to believe there is a psychological advantage to this. Here's my theory - the bike is SO fast and SO smooth, that you get accustomed to 75-80 as a normal speed (at least I do). Therefore, 60 seems sorta slow and lazy, and I feel more confident that I can avoid any sort of problem EASILY at that low of a speed. Anyone else have that sort of psyche after driving one of these things for a while?

P.S. I don't feel like its a bad thing, or that I'm overlooking anything - everything is just going slower at normal speeds, ya know?!!

ernaehrung004.gif
aktion035.gif
aktion033.gif

Well here iis what it is like over 250mph, or as the like to say, go strap a rocket to your ass.

Jet Assisted Take-Off
1995 Darwin Awards Winner

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.
The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-poop."

Back