What is an airshifter?

OB_Quincy

Registered
Pros might think this is a dumb question, but no better place to ask.

What does it do?
How much does it cost?
If I want one where can I get it?
Are there any known disadvantages?

Anything else that might be useful.

Thanks

An airshifter is used for mostly drag racing, unless you have one just for shifting gear doing wheelies. It allows the operator to shift gears without using the clutch or shift lever. An air cylinder is mounted to the bike and to the shift lever When a button is pushed, your engine kills, the cylinder activates by retracting upwards causing the bike to shift, and then the engine comes on. This all takes place within milliseconds. You can purchase them through any dealer or hop-up shop. They offer many kinds such as; MRE, Pingle, and a few others. The average cost is around $300.00 for the whole kit. You'll need a MPS box to adjust the delay. The advantage to using these is that you'll never miss a shift by operator error on shifting, plus of course it's quicker. I'm not a bike tech by no means what so ever, I'm sure that someone else can help out with your questions better.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I might not want one then. I thought it might be like a "tiptronic" bike application... like the one in the ferrari f355.

By the way "shifting in wheelies" ... I wish :)

Back