What is a cush drive?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Seriously, have no clue. Just saw a post of folks replacing this at 5-6000 miles- what is it, what does it do, anyone have a picture of one?
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Its little rubber pieces in between the rear sproket mount and the rear rim. Acts as a cushion when you nail the trottle to save on some of the wear and tear of other parts.

^ yea...what he said. It is inside the center of your rear wheel.

(Shibumi @ Sep. 18 2006,16
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Thanks! So how do you tell when one needs to be replaced?
I knew mine was gone because you could feel a clunk when you nailed the throttle, kind of like having a bad U-joint on a car, also if you remove the rear wheel to replace a tire and the sprocket and hub falls out onto your bare feet from about three feet up,teeth first OUCH!!! you know their worn, that's how I found out what  cush drives were in the first place.

I guess you could also grab your rear sprocket (with the rear wheel installed on the bike) and try to rock it back and fourth, see how much slop you have from the sprocket and the wheel , youll have a little movement, but it's pretty obvious when it's shot, if yours was shot, you would have been placing a post on here asking, whats that noise when I nail the throttle???

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys!

Brianm, OUCH! See, never even WORK on your bike without gear on!
laugh.gif
Hope the toes made it through okay...
crazy.gif

It actually acts like a shock absorber for your rear wheel from the power transmitted from the chain to the wheel to the street.  
beerchug.gif

Back