What is a an average "day" of riding for you?

How often and long do you ride?

• I ride daily

Votes: 54 36.0%
  • I ride weekly

Votes: 56 37.3%
  • I ride a couple times a month

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Less than 1 hour a day

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Less than 2 hours a day

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • less than 3 hours a day

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • 4-6 hours a day

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • More than 6 hours a day (better be ready to back it up)

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ride every day to and from work, unless it is raining. Hate to squish around at work. rode Dallas to des moines, iowa, 750+ miles one day. also rode to Reno this summer in 2 days, 950 miles each day. long and hot. any excuse to ride is a good one :laugh:

Point noted and no flames to be lit.. (but the ride home is may not be as "casual" as you might hope.. the last 10 miles up 28 is highly technical and can get you in a ton of trouble really fast).. I might even suggest going "around" 28

I am a bit disheartened that you have such little confidency in my ability to keep the group safe and in check as the ride leader.

Last edited:
maybe 3hrs a day 30min to school and back and 20min to work and back so 1.4hrs there then might decide to take the long route with less traffic so not much riding time during the week but on days off usually 5hrs or so but alot of miles in those few hours

I am a bit disheartened that you have such little confidency in my ability to keep the group safe and in check as the ride leader.
kidding right? you think the ride leader has responsibility for the "slinky" effect? or some way to control it? You can be as skilled as any rider out there, but you will never have control over the guy behind you right?

I have read in a couple "published" guides that "group" rides should not exceed 8 people just due to the "slinky" effect..

Guys start running a bit to hard in the straights to keep things tight and eventually, a corner entry bites them.. (see this happen a lot FWIW)

One thing I have seen and wont ride without? Chatterbox or similar radio devices in the group.. life savers... Ride leader and sweep rider at minimum IMHO on a group ride are really well served by being in communicado..

I am just sort of disheartened that we lose 4 or 5 bikes at every bash for some really stupid reasons... Since I have started going to the "bash" there have been at least 30 bikes go down with the Busa group..

I have not been on a group ride except for the "Memorial Rides" since the big crash on the Cherahola that I got to call in Medivac for... that one still bothers me... Still surprised no one was killed..

if I gotta play "wet blanket" a bit? fine with me... I would rather be scorned than watch any more good guys get hurt..

Just go out and prove me wrong is all I want...

Some group ride publications that every rider should know the content of ( a bit off topic of this thread but relevant to the thread purpose)

http://files.meetup.com/330312/Motorcycle Group Riding Rules.pdf

http://www.yowmtc.com/files/leadinggrouprides.pdf

Thanks those are great reference. :thumbsup:

I used to enjoy group rides, but too many problems and it seems that the most sane has the most problems with others behavior...(not blowing my own horn), but now I ride alone and meet up where we are going.
As I looked at it, riding together wasn't as much fun as the gathering before after, so the gathering is now my focus and I am free to pound away on my own without worry about others.
Hey....JMO

I try to ride a minimum of 100 miles a day (weather permitting) before coming to work. I get up at 3:35 am nowadays and leave before 4:00 am. Once in a while, I do a 800+ mile ride in about 15 hours or so. This is how I racked up over 50,000 miles in less than two years. She now has over 54,000 miles on her. I'm just so addicted to it.

I KNOW if I went to the Bash I would be BEAT after a day of riding !!

One reason is there aren't any roads around here like the ones there (I've never been, but from the pic.'s they seem like you would be flicking the bike back, and forth the whole way, right ?). The other reason is WHEN I do get a chance to go riding it's almost ALWAYS solo, and usually only 200 miles at the most, and that's on regular roads, a turn here, and there.
So I think a day at the Bash would be WAY different than day, to day riding. The physical fatigue from flicking the bike back, and forth more than I'm use to, on rides that are longer than I'm use to. Then add the mental fatigue from riding in a group (which I hardly ever do), and dealing with a lot of traffic (which I'm definetly use to, but car traffic). I know me personaly, I'd be ready for bed at night !! I'm hoping to make the next Bash !

between 2-4 days a week seat time depends on if i am communting or joy riding in the winter maybe 1 day a month until the weather breaks

I just don't like commuter traffic any more. Takes the fun out of it these days. Weekends, though, look out! I'll do between 200 and 500 miles on a weekend day and if possible, will hit both days!!

--Wag--

I work at home, so I don't ride to commute anymore. However, my weekend day rides are easily 6-8 hours. Every month or two I also like to squeeze in a 1000-2000 mile weekend trip.

I can't speak much for this year. Both bikes have less than 1600 miles since Jan 1.

In 2007 and 2008 I put more than 13,000 on bikes, and less than 7,000 on my truck. I would ride to and from work everyday for a total of 32 miles round trip. On the weekends I would often ride 200 to 500 miles a day, depending on who I would ride with.

I wish that was the case for 2009, but it's not.

Ride safe Brothers and Sisters of the Org. I will be back on two soon!

:beerchug:

I just don't like commuter traffic any more. Takes the fun out of it these days. Weekends, though, look out! I'll do between 200 and 500 miles on a weekend day and if possible, will hit both days!!

--Wag--

Traffic has killed my riding, I CAN"T STAND IT !!! I bet out of the 11,000 miles my bike has, 7,000 of them were put on before 6:00 am.

I now have a company car, so no more commuting for me, plus money has been squeaking tight recently so I only get a couple of rides in a month now.

I racked up 43K in 2.5 years, in just over the last year I've ridden about 3K. This sucks, I really hope next year will be better.

kidding right? you think the ride leader has responsibility for the "slinky" effect? or some way to control it? You can be as skilled as any rider out there, but you will never have control over the guy behind you right?

I have read in a couple "published" guides that "group" rides should not exceed 8 people just due to the "slinky" effect..

Guys start running a bit to hard in the straights to keep things tight and eventually, a corner entry bites them.. (see this happen a lot FWIW)

One thing I have seen and wont ride without? Chatterbox or similar radio devices in the group.. life savers... Ride leader and sweep rider at minimum IMHO on a group ride are really well served by being in communicado..

I am just sort of disheartened that we lose 4 or 5 bikes at every bash for some really stupid reasons... Since I have started going to the "bash" there have been at least 30 bikes go down with the Busa group..

I have not been on a group ride except for the "Memorial Rides" since the big crash on the Cherahola that I got to call in Medivac for... that one still bothers me... Still surprised no one was killed..

if I gotta play "wet blanket" a bit? fine with me... I would rather be scorned than watch any more good guys get hurt..

Just go out and prove me wrong is all I want...

I appreciate your concern. And I know there have been group rides go way wrong, and you got caught up in the mess. I have been leading groups for many years, as few as 2 to as many as 35-40. While the ride leader cannot contol every aspect of every rider, setting the proper pace for the group and keeping an eye open for problems goes a long, long way to having everyone arrive on 2 wheels.

Maybe an 1 hour a week. I work 12 hour weekend shifts and have other committments mon-thurs. I'm gonna break the cycle next spring and start traveling. It's what I got it for.:cheerleader:

I only live 3 miles from work so I don't get too much seat time. I have done a few 6 hour rides and I lost the consintration to pilot this thing. you zone out for a few seconds and that is all it takes.

Back