What I learnt from the rectifier recall

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
The mechanic did mine while I could watch him from the reception area in the service department. First time someone else had their hands on my baby.

The last thing he did, was go with a hammer and a punch to the steering head column. ???

So, when he was done and gave me my bike, I asked him what that was about and he told me that with every recall they get, they punch a dot in a certain place by the VIN number; that way they know which recall was done if a dealer ever sees the bike again.

The mechanic was very helpful, says he does this since 1979 professionally, but then I asked him about throttle body sync on a Gen II and he told me he does it with a vacuum gauge. ???

So, I learnt two things.

1.) If you have a dot above your VIN, you know the recall has been taken care of.

2.) Stay away from dealer professional Mechanics, that can get dangerous.

they never punched my bike.. but I heard this is true.. Not sure on the vacuum gauge thing.. I'd rather use the mercury..

doesn't the dealer have a computer? Wouldn't they just log the recall being done for the vin that way? ???

The hammer thing seems to be outdated, but I guess its hard to shake an old habit since hes been doing it since 1979:laugh:

yea when i had my first recall done.. with the ignition wire they did the hammer and punch and that is what i was told also.... he was a younger cool dude

my dealer let me handle the recall myself. no punch marks on my bike but one dealer told me that they have to put a "mark" on the frame to show its been done. called the other dealer and picked up my part. :rofl: i guess those zuk techs are the only ones that own a punch

Back