What happens when the cam chain breaks @ 130 MPH...

icemansid

Donating Member
Registered
Well it was a bad weekend for me. 2nd pass of the day and the cam chain broke just after shifting into 5th (local drags).... After a very long rebuild with a fully worked over APE crankshaft (previosuly spun rod bearing)...

Bike is on the lift right now - ready to drop the motor. After peaking into the intake, it looks like all valves are bent open. Pictures to come... hopefully the wife lets me work on it tomorrow night.

Anybody have a gen 1 02-07 motor for sale? depending on the damage, i may also be looking for a new head.

I'll have some bad ass worked heads back from my guy shortly. I have a stocker if that's all you need.. I would do a full valve job before selling though.

So it wasn't as bad as I expected. Still have to split the case and clean but it could have been worse..

phot1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

photo (5).jpg

photo (6).jpg

At 130mph I would've thought the valves would have "kissed" the pistons much more! Actually doesn't look so bad!

That's what i thought too! was expecting MUCH more carnage..... Not much damage to the pistons but thats no reason to not upgrade to a 1397 kit with a new set of cams to go with a fancy port/polished head.

Oh there is more damage, but you just cant see it yet!
All the valve guides on the bent valves are most likely broke also!
That's what i thought too! was expecting MUCH more carnage..... Not much damage to the pistons but thats no reason to not upgrade to a 1397 kit with a new set of cams to go with a fancy port/polished head.

Just got off the phone with FastbyGast - going to send it in to be looked at for a total repair quote... at this point, i am assuming the head is a total loss.. i was more worried about any bottom end damage.

Completly loaded question with a thousand answers.... What piston and compression to go with? Keeping in mind drag only bike, 110 octane Sunoco, no juice.... Yet.... APE lightened and balanced crank.

At 130mph I would've thought the valves would have "kissed" the pistons much more! Actually doesn't look so bad!

Sounds very fortunate to not have locked the engine...and thus the rear tire until you could pull the clutch.
Would've been a nice slide. At least you didn't go down.:beerchug:

i doubt there is any damage the the lower end!

Update********

Case is split and parts are going through the parts washer. tons of plastic shavings from the cam chain guides, everything else looks good. Head/cams off to GoldenChild and cylinder block off to FastbyGast for a 1397 big block swap with JE 13.5:1 pistons. New V&H cam chain & guides coming from Schnitz (along with other misc. gaskets/tools).... Hate having to tear down - especially during the drag season but I am starting to love the build!

the racing pushes the budget...if you can swing it build the package that fits you goal...have fun and beat it up...wearable parts end up being pistons at some point

Always wanted a turbo but that is way too far out of budget at this point. this will bring me to a happy HP that should keep me goin for a few years.

You should check the rod bearings. If there is anything we can do, give us a shout.

Jay

OK so the crank is on its way back to APE -Jay talked me into it.

major order from Schnitz is on its way - will be here Friday

GoldenChild is doin the Carpenter head for me - no hurry there

FBG has my block, shipping back the 1397(84mm kit) w/ 13.5 JE's

AND for the grand finale - my parents have graciously sponsored me into a brand new Hays Convertible Clutch from Hays Machine Works!

MANY pictures to come.

Back