What goes into registering a trailer

Chemmy

Registered
Just thought about this as I am looking up a trailer to purchase. I am assuming that there is a time frame on registering and getting plates back or what.

I am looking at getting a 7x12 v-nose, enclosed, tandem trailer. Just incase anyones wondering lol.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure it’s different in every state. Here in Arizona you just take it down for an inspection and pay the fees to walk out with your plate. Check to see if you guys have to option to get a permanent sticker for it. I have one for mine and only paid the fee once and its good for as long as I own the trailer.

I just took the title down to the dmv, registered it and got the plate and tags right then and there, no inspection required. It was less than 30 bux. I have to renew the tags each year though.

Yes, just take the paperwork that you get when you purchase the trailer to the DMV and they should be able to take care of it.

its pretty straight forward... I'm thinking about selling my 7x16 vnose :whistle:

I guess we are fortunate here. We don't register personal trailers, only commercial.

I got a "birth certificate" when i bought my trailer. I had to get a title when i registered it. I just provided the birth certificate, they issued me a lifetime tag and the title came in the mail in a week or two.

Its not hard at all.

i just went to the DMV and asked the plate gals what to do. told them i just got a trailer, small flat bed under 1500lbs. they asked me for ??? i think it was $5 and gave me a plate. i have to get a $5 sticker for it every year. or im supposed to :whistle::laugh:

you'll probably have to just call the plate gals at the DMV and go from there. should be painless:beerchug:

So what do you do? Ride around with no plate on the back of your trailer?
How do LEOs ID you from behind or anyone else for that matter?

Pretty much. I have owned car haulers, utility, box, and motorcycle trailers. Never once registered or bought a tag. It's not required unless I am commercial.

Pretty much. I have owned car haulers, utility, box, and motorcycle trailers. Never once registered or bought a tag. It's not required unless I am commercial.

Surprising they would not even make you display a duplicate tag from your vehicle on it? Bet there's a lot of unsolved hit and run accidents involving trailers in Ok :laugh:

Just call your local DMV...it varies from state to state.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah we used to have a permanant tag here but I think it became yearly. I just wasnt sure what the process was and since the wife will be doing it without me I figured I would try to make it at the least painful for her.

Thanks all.

Surprising they would not even make you display a duplicate tag from your vehicle on it? Bet there's a lot of unsolved hit and run accidents involving trailers in Ok :laugh:

Dont know about that, but theft is a concern. Unless you buy "brand new" you dont get a title with a trailer. We used to engrave our drivers license number into the frame so we could identify it if was stolen.

Back