what exactly does "stressed" engine mean?

shortBoarder

on the pegs + into the sun
Donating Member
Registered
what is the difference between a stressed and non-stressed engine, and what does it mean as far as performance?

I've seen and heard the terms before, i just have no idea what they mean......

That's one of those vague terms people use
wink.gif

For example cold, what is cold. Cold for one isn't cold for another. Stressed engine depends on who is saying it....I know this doesn't help, just didn't know what else tosay
wink.gif
tounge.gif

wink.gif

To save weight the engine is an integral part of the frame. Which means there is no frame surrounding the engine. The engine is a stressed member and actually part of the frame design.  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106100704 -->

In structural engineering lingo, it would be called a load-bearing element. This means that structural loads flow through the engine.

Like the walls in a house, some are load-bearing, some are facades. Don't try to remove the load-bearing ones.
smile.gif

I agree with Turbo "T"....
rock.gif
smile.gif

Or it's an engine in the teenage kids 1980 toyota Corolla with 180k miles on it, runnin at 7500rpms, through a "Custom" intake and Glasspack mufflers....
wink.gif
It's Stressed...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106191820 -->

hrmmm....my guess would be an engine that hasn't gotten a chance to take a vacation.

That's one of those vague terms people use  
wink.gif

For example cold, what is cold.  Cold for one isn't cold for another.  Stressed engine depends on who is saying it....I know this doesn't help, just didn't know what else tosay  
wink.gif

tounge.gif
One from the "I pulled this one outta my ass" crowd!

wink.gif

Yeah it was late, I was bushed, and I wanted to add a post to my count!!!

wink.gif

Sounded cool.....    
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106265598 -->

That was some funny #### Charles!!
I laughed so hard!

I was like... wait..... did he REALLY mean that?

It was one of those, did I really post that?? moments

Sounded better in my head than on the monitor.......

oh well
tounge.gif
40__s.gif

Back