What exactly does lowering your bike do?

emtspitz

Registered
Hey guys and gals, I've been contemplating putting my bike about 2" lower. Other than lowering your center of gravity, what exactly does it do to your bike, cornering & handling?

I love to push things to the edge, but responsibly. Love the tight corners and that thread about what you do to corner was EXTREMELY helpful!!!

As ALWAYS, in advance, thanks for all of your advice!:thumbsup:

there is a pinned thread called something like jinxter tackles suspension. it should be helpful.

i dont think it will help cornering but idk

depending on how well you corner, I doubt lowering your ride will work in your favor.. I have ridden with some guys that had lowered bikes that "thought" they cornered just fine but those are at "granny" speeds.. get out there and really start to hammer the bike a bit and you will find a 1" raise is a better idea..

get out there and really start to hammer the bike a bit and you will find a 1" raise is a better idea..

Really? I would think that you'd want to LOWER your center of gravity.....would never have thought that.....

Just goes to show you how awesome this .org is!!!!

Hey guys and gals, I've been contemplating putting my bike about 2" lower. Other than lowering your center of gravity, what exactly does it do to your bike, cornering & handling?

I love to push things to the edge, but responsibly. Love the tight corners and that thread about what you do to corner was EXTREMELY helpful!!!

As ALWAYS, in advance, thanks for all of your advice!:thumbsup:

What does it do? It gets it closer to the ground.:poke::laugh:

Lowering (strapping front as well) then stretching helps the front end from coming up at the drag strip :laugh:

If you want to get closer to the pavement, leave it stock, (like the Engineers in Japan created it) and put some gear on, and push that bike to the limits. Guaranteed you cannot do just that! Cause if you could, you would not even be asking about it in this thread!

The bike is set up from the factory, with it's affordable suspension to do just what it is made to do. Yes, weight comes into play, but that has no effect on lowering the bike to look kewl and be just another poser out there... If you are into twisties, (and I say this term loosley) cause ther are peeps who can, and there ar peeps who only think they can till they try to keep up and dump it, leave it stock! You wanna lower your bike for the cool look, then ride it from stop sign to stop sign...

You want to ride hard in the twisties with what a sportbike was made for, keep the ride height, or just put on a more aggressive suspension.
I'm sorry, but lowering it is for posers... Especially if you wanna get drastic with it

Don't lower your bike if you like the twisties!!!!!!!

I have to agree.
Lowering a motorcycle yields less lean angle.
Entering a curve too hot and finding out you need more lean to make it through is a bad time to run out of lean.
When parts start to drag the ground, the tires will be levered off the pavement and bad things will happen.
Altering suspension geometry incorrectly or for the wrong reason can make a very good handling motorcycle into a very bad handling motorcycle.
If you want to keep your lean angle safety margin for street riding... leave it alone.
If you are going to ride in a straight line or drag race.... different story.

You want to ride hard in the twisties with what a sportbike was made for, keep the ride height, or just put on a more aggressive suspension.
I'm sorry, but lowering it is for posers...

Or how bout for those that need it lowered to be able to stand up, or keep from dumping it while stopped on a hill. . . If I raised mine up an inch from stock I wouldn't be able to touch the ground. At the stock height I was on the ball of my foot on perfectly level ground and ****tin my pants hoping I didn't drop it when stopped on a hill. Lowering is not only for posers. Do I wish I still had the lean angle of the stock height suspension? Yes I do, because I have found myself dragging the foot pegs before (VERY scary the first time this happens!). But could I have that and still have a beautiful, unscratched bike? No. Sorry for the rant, but I had to add that.

Or how bout for those that need it lowered to be able to stand up, or keep from dumping it while stopped on a hill. . . If I raised mine up an inch from stock I wouldn't be able to touch the ground. At the stock height I was on the ball of my foot on perfectly level ground and ****tin my pants hoping I didn't drop it when stopped on a hill. Lowering is not only for posers. Do I wish I still had the lean angle of the stock height suspension? Yes I do, because I have found myself dragging the foot pegs before (VERY scary the first time this happens!). But could I have that and still have a beautiful, unscratched bike? No. Sorry for the rant, but I had to add that.

That is not a problem... then you have to bring it to a reputable suspension shop to make it work for your body/weight... but these rejects that just start doing this and that to look kewl, have no clue... That is a poser..Get them out in Washington State, or Oregon and you will see wha they are made of!!

Ignore him. He's ghey and drunk:laugh:

I lowered mine so I could touch the ground also.:beerchug:

Every body knows you have your bike lowered to Brendan :laugh::laugh::laugh: you big poser you :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HOMO!! my bike is NOT lowered. I'm a real man,,, i can touch the ground with my feet! If not, I'd strap 2X4's on the bottom of my feet before lowering!:whistle:

That is not a problem... then you have to bring it to a reputable suspension shop to make it work for your body/weight... but these rejects that just start doing this and that to look kewl, have no clue... That is a poser..Get them out in Washington State, or Oregon and you will see wha they are made of!!

I know what you're talking about. I'm just givin you a hard time. I'm not mad or anything. Just felt like making a point. I don't understand why I have a hard time reaching the ground. . .I'm 6'1", but I guess my legs just aren't long enough. . .

HOMO!! my bike is NOT lowered. I'm a real man,,, i can touch the ground with my feet! If not, I'd strap 2X4's on the bottom of my feet before lowering!:whistle:

Hahahaha!!! Now that's something I'd like to see! How would you plan on solving the shifting issue?

I know what you're talking about. I'm just givin you a hard time. I'm not mad or anything. Just felt like making a point. I don't understand why I have a hard time reaching the ground. . .I'm 6'1", but I guess my legs just aren't long enough. . .

Hahahaha!!! Now that's something I'd like to see! How would you plan on solving the shifting issue?

What?? 6'1" and you cant reach the ground? I'm only 5'10" (solid muscle) no problem! :whistle:
Get a Tobin seat, you will be all set. start fukking wit yer suspension without knowing what you are doing? You are an idiot! Period! for straight line, no problem. run with the guys that hang their balls off the side? you are asking for trouble...:whistle:

and Sam, i will someday show you just how to do it! :laugh:

Back