What do you use to tap on your fork tubes~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
How do you tap your fork tubes back down safely~?~

Every time we straight line it, we come home and the following day hang the bikes from the pullies to raise the them back up for the twisties...I'm just wondering what some of you use to tap the fork tubes back into the triple tree safely and without scratching~?~

Some use a small block of wood, some use sockets...some just pound the crap out of it until something moves :laugh:

To me, the perfect tool would be a 1 3/16 inch socket with a 1/4 inch rubber base on it to prevent scratching or dinging the top of the fork tube~!~
Unfortunately I've never seen a socket such as this made...

Show your ideas~!!~

100_1728.jpg

Last edited:
I used to suspend the front, then loosen all the pinch bolts way out, hit the yokes with the heat gun, then slowly twist and slide all the way out. Take some emory cloth and knock down the edge at the top/bottom/pinch point on the yokes and then re-assemble. This should help prevent the scuffs and scratches in your fork tubes when you raise/lower them in the yokes. :beerchug:

I remove the lower pinch bolts then slip a flat screwdriver into the slot. Give it a couple taps with a rubber hammer so it spreads the clamp just enough to make the fork leg slide freely. I can then control the tension with the upper clamp using the rubber mallet to gently tap the fork leg down. It doesn't take much, just a gentle tap.

i dont tap anything i twist slowley back and forth, with pinch bolts good and loose...:rulez: those spring adjusters and valves arent easy to fix if you damage them

Back