What do you recommend for a helmet?

motogp08

Registered
I am planning on getting my busa in the summer and am wonderin what gear you recommend? I am planning on getting all of the equip. pad jacket, riding suit, gloves, boots, and most importantly, helmet. So if you guys have any suggestions please share them with me! "So in other words, what are you using/what works for you?

Thanks everyone!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|motogp08
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144231531 -->

Shark RSR helmet. Like it better than any Arai, Shoei, Agv or Suomey I've ever owned.

Kobe Dragon Breeze Jacket. Thick, well made and vents really well even here in the Florida Keys. Dainese Air Killer when touring or the weather is cooler and or wet with Polo water proofed leather pants.

Alpinestars over ankle scooter boots around town and Alpinestars Gortex boots on the road.

Held top of the line glove except when cold or wet then Dainese winter gloves.

Peace,
John
03 Silver & Gray

Definitely go try some on and get a feel for them. Not all helmets fit (me) the same. That will help determine what you like.

Don't buy a helmet without trying em' on. AND don't buy into the "Cheap Helmets" work just as well BS. They may meet the "Minimum" required by law but they are by NO means better, just cheap.

Best helmets in terms of safety, quality and fit? Arai. Next best, Shoei, Suomy, and some others. Then you have all the rest that promise safety and features on a budget, HJC, Shark, Bell, KBC, ICON, Scorpion*, etc...

*Scorpions use the same cheap plastic shells as the other budget helmets but they also have a lot of nice features and a good push from the manufacterer.

All the full face helmets you'll find on the racks at most dealership will meet DOT spec which isn't much comfort, then you have SNELL which takes the requirements for safety and measured energy transmitted to your noggin a bit higher.

While many of the inexpensive helmets are rated both SNELL and DOT most just MEET the standards, while your pricier helmets far surpass the standards through the use of stringent quality controls, better materials, and better design.

So I recommend an Arai, or a Shoei. Simple. And just a couple of months agoI bought the New Arai RX-7 Corsair "Tommy Gun" and a Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic. After working on the shop floor for a year and watching the helmets that come in for repair and the problems people have with their helmets as well as seeing crashed helmets here and there from the race team and customers, I am an even bigger Arai Fan than I was before. We had guys crash and whack their heads really hard in Bell, and Fox offroad lids that ended up with bad concusions. While we had a couple of guys in Arai's tanked it HARD smacking his head into the walla few months ago, (Maggies Boy) and while he was loopy, his melon was intact no concusion, no worries, the other slammed it into the asphalt a couple of weeks ago at a track day event, again impact was pretty severe and he just walked away...

So it's up to you really, but that's my .02. One other thought, you have to try the helmet on before you buy, no mail order on Helmets, you don't know where it's been.

3 year old thread? damn...MotoGP has already got his helmet and retired it by now....Oh well, I got info I can use anyway...Im going to look for the Hayabusa Icon stuff in the clearance section....

Shark RSR helmet .

Like it better than any Arai , Shoei ,
Agv or Suomey I have ever owned .

Kobe Dragon Breeze Jacket .

Thick , well made and vents really well
even here in the south Florida Keys .

Dainese Air Killer when touring
or the weather is cooler and or wet
with Polo water proofed leather pants .

Alpinestars over ankle scooter boots around town
and Alpinestars Gortex riding boots on the road .

Held top of the line gloves
except when it is cold or wet
then it is Dainese winter gloves .

Peace ,
John

2003 Silver & Gray

:beerchug:
JWRICH4
200.gif

Last edited:
Back