What do you do with a Trailer?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was thinking of renting a trailer to go to the Spring Bash. After my experience last year I was thinking I would enjoy the time there more if I didn't have the long ride on either side. But what do you do with the trailer when parked? I will be at the Microtel, should I un-hitch it and take two spaces? Couldn't someone just hook up to it and pull away?

Nothing is thief proof, I'm sure you know that, but you can use cables instead of chains. Chain the wheels together or to the frame. They make hitch locks too. Park in an area that is well lit and good visibility.

Theifs want easy and fast. If they want it bad enough though nothing will stop them. Just try to make them have to work for it.

Willie,

I can't speak to the Microtel, but if you notice at the Philips, many of us turn the trailers around so that the ramp opens to the street. Never had a problem with anyone messing with the trailer...

I like to think that I can trust people but it cant hurt to be cautious. I have a Reese trailer lock kit that is awesome. It makes it really hard for someone to steal a trailer. I got it at autozone for $27 and Im sure you could get it online cheaper. It comes with the ball shackle, the lock for switch on top of the tongue, and a locking bolt deal that goes through the reciever. I store it at a community storage facility so I have to take the extra precautions but I sure feel safe with the kit. The ball shackle is probably the most important part and it feels really well made. Disclaimer: hit it all the locks with wd40 before you store it!

Heres a link:

Reese/Towing anti-theft lock kit (70147) | | AutoZone.com

Or you could have some from VA haul you down, and split the costs!,,
I think i know of some jerk!
:whistle::whistle::whistle::laugh:

If ya dont ride with the Virginia jerk, Id park it off to the side, bring a cinder block and take a wheel off. Sure, they can put a wheel on, but it would be easier to just steal somebody else's.:laugh:

Could see if there is an org member living in the area( riding distance) from the microtel and would be willing to let you leave it there for the bash then ride over:whistle:

Aren't you in VA ??? Doesn't look that far to me :laugh:

What kind of tow vehicle you got pickup??? suv??? crossover??? Stinger has been reduced on Pashnit.com can be folded an stored in those vehicles

hhhhmmmm A little over 500 miles looked closer on the google map :laugh:

Back the trailer into the spot closest to your room window, tie a piece of fishing line to it and run it into the window of your room and ties to the lamp beside your night stand, If you wake up in the middle of the night by a crash come out with a gun to protect your valuable............ Ohhh wait you dont own a gun.. in your case call the police and wait to fill out a crime report :poke:

Back the trailer into the spot closest to your room window, tie a piece of fishing line to it and run it into the window of your room and ties to the lamp beside your night stand, If you wake up in the middle of the night by a crash come out with a gun to protect your valuable............ Ohhh wait you dont own a gun.. in your case call the police and wait to fill out a crime report :poke:

Very funny:laugh:

Hey rooster, how is your trailer project coming?

Plan A, died. Someone mentioned suspension and I got it into my head that it was a must have, reworked the plan, added up the new cost and got to around $800 after all the bits and pieces, the same price as a very nice finished trailer shipped to my door. 1st pic. So, we cancelled the steel order in favor of the pre made jobby. Then I got to lookin around and found this handy lil guy, 2nd pic. I think I can weld some C-channel to the small HF trailer and be in around $300ish and get the job done. I was a bit hesitant on the HF trailer, but seeing Murderedout07's bike on one, I feel a bit better.

At this point, Im trying to decide if I just need to get the job done or If the cool factor is worth the extra $500.

Whats your trailer situation, you cant be more confused than me:laugh:

$T2eC16F,!)QE9s3HCkEDBQ6vI65Jrw~~60_12.JPG

Hauler.jpg

Couldn't you just bring it over to the Phillips and put it in line with someone else's trailer? There's a lot more folks at the Phillips that would watch out for it than there would be at the Microtel. Just a thought.

Frog - get the HF trailer and the HF chock... Couple straps from the rear pegs forward and you're set. If you spend a little more $$, get a Baxley chock instead.

Couldn't you just bring it over to the Phillips and put it in line with someone else's trailer? There's a lot more folks at the Phillips that would watch out for it than there would be at the Microtel. Just a thought.

That's what I would do if you're concerned about it; plenty of space to pull the trailer into the grass somewhere.

Plan A, died. Someone mentioned suspension and I got it into my head that it was a must have, reworked the plan, added up the new cost and got to around $800 after all the bits and pieces, the same price as a very nice finished trailer shipped to my door. 1st pic. So, we cancelled the steel order in favor of the pre made jobby. Then I got to lookin around and found this handy lil guy, 2nd pic. I think I can weld some C-channel to the small HF trailer and be in around $300ish and get the job done. I was a bit hesitant on the HF trailer, but seeing Murderedout07's bike on one, I feel a bit better.

At this point, Im trying to decide if I just need to get the job done or If the cool factor is worth the extra $500.

Whats your trailer situation, you cant be more confused than me:laugh:

I'm more confused than you! I want some hard luggage which is about $700 to $1000. A trailer is about the same or i can rent one for the week for about $15/day. So I can't afford a trailer and luggage (or maybe either) right now so do I get the luggage and ride no matter what the weather or get the trailer and bring my gear in a suit case.

That is a cool trailer though. I was wondering if you need something more sturdy for open roads but looks like people are using those just fine.

Trailer it.. Way more enjoyable to drive home after a long week of riding, etc.

And not to be "that guy" (again) but if you have an open trailer, nobody is gonna want to steal your $600 trailer when just down the street there are several enclosed trailers with tons of stuff in 'em.. :whistle:

Back