What did you do to your other motorcycle today ?

Static balanced, balancer leveled, tire balanced perfectly, 90° valve stem in.
Some marine grease on the axle, and torque it, pinch bolts, and calipers with a little anti-sieze...and another one done.

I've been mounting and balancing my own tires for a long time now, on friends' equipment, and in recent years, bought my own.
If you work on your own bike, but don't change your own tires, consider doing it.
It's not difficult, and the equipment pays for itself in a short space of time, vs paying labor to have it done.
Plus it's nice to have tires show up at your house vs having to go anywhere, and to have a set on the shelf ready to go too.

20220526_181129.jpg

20220526_180538.jpg

20220526_180433.jpg

20220526_173620.jpg

20220526_172958.jpg

M
Static balanced, balancer leveled, tire balanced perfectly, 90° valve stem in.
Some marine grease on the axle, and torque it, pinch bolts, and calipers with a little anti-sieze...and another one done.

I've been mounting and balancing my own tires for a long time now, on friends' equipment, and in recent years, bought my own.
If you work on your own bike, but don't change your own tires, consider doing it.
It's not difficult, and the equipment pays for itself in a short space of time, vs paying labor to have it done.
Plus it's nice to have tires show up at your house vs having to go anywhere, and to have a set on the shelf ready to go too.

View attachment 1651467

View attachment 1651468

View attachment 1651469

View attachment 1651470

View attachment 1651471
My equipment has paid for itself countless times. I’ve done car tires (low profile tires included) and even broke the beads on my Tacoma wheels to pull the sensors and transfer to another set of wheels. Use the same black weights on your pic too.

A while back I dropped the VFR800 in the drive. I forgot to triple check the side stand. I rode the bike but it did not feel right against the road. It felt like it was diving into holes and jolting harshly on bumps.
I stopped riding it and let my tech know this needed to be inspected. It has been perhaps two years and he came over and inspected the bike. He did not see anything outwardly wrong with the fork or handles and pointed out that the fairing took the brunt. Hrm...

He identified this fairing bracket as bent. I ordered a new one and finally installed it today. I found it cool at how the cut shape of the bracket fits into the frame so that there is no question about how the bracket is oriented.

I found an OEM muffler a while back. The Two Brothers unit is screeching loud. On his visit the tech swapped the mufflers but the OEM would not go on far enough to clamp to the pegs, and he did not know why. The best that I can figure: This is a revised part. Honda may have made it backward compatible while relying on the tech to trim the gasket. Have you had to cut these asbestos gaskets?

I ordered a new gasket and today finally I decided to attack this myself. I wrapped my face in a towel and cut about a third of an inch off of the width. I then installed this muffler. The gasket is fibrous and my cut is a bit raggedy so I think it should be inspected for leaks. I have plans for an O2 sensor and it is likely this will get torn apart again anyway so I am not too concerned. This was a good start for me installing something.

I siphoned the gas, probably overkill as I always use a preservative. But I gave it to the mowers and put in fresh gas with Seafoam. Now that I got the muffler together I started the bike, the first start in a long while. It started fine. I shifted it and it stalled. Rinse/repeat, it now stays running but the bike moves with the clutch in. Is this the famous, the clutch is stuck due to no use? The clutch worked just fine before the bike sat for a while.

I tied the clutch lever and left it. I found this solution online. Is this going to harm a bearing or otherwise actually work to loosen the clutch? Your advice is appreciated.

This bike always needs a clutch switch. I figured it was due to being a cheap part. The flapper valve in the intake buzzes when this switch goes bad. I noticed that the switch wires are strained and I was unsure what I saw in the dim garage. Now that I can see the photo clearly the circuit wires do not appear broken or bare. I will get another switch sometime and likely a spare.

This fork merely has several thousand miles on it but has light scoring. My tech says sand may have done this. How do I approach this? Does it require removal, polishing, and fluid and seals replaced to stave off further damage?

Bent fairing bracket_IMG_1652.jpg

clutch safety switch_IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

0008-04-30-2022-172652PM.JPG

0044-04-17-2022-092654AM-fork-scoring_crop.jpg

Last edited:
Previous owner took all stickers and decals off the DR and it looked a little too plain and white. Had some decals left from a set I had ordered some time ago and cut some to put to the DR. It actually came out better than I thought.

View attachment 1652179

View attachment 1652180

View attachment 1652181
Very nice DR Miguel, you know I have never seen a mainstand like yours or any for that matter, on a DR650.
I see you have the B&B rack from Australia, NICE.
You have a LED headlamp conversion, NICE, I did the same with my DRZ, what a difference in light output!
Big tank, big seat, but no bash plate???
Very important piece of kit buddy, I know you will now be on the hunt for one lmao!

Very nice DR Miguel, you know I have never seen a mainstand like yours or any for that matter, on a DR650.
I see you have the B&B rack from Australia, NICE.
You have a LED headlamp conversion, NICE, I did the same with my DRZ, what a difference in light output!
Big tank, big seat, but no bash plate???
Very important piece of kit buddy, I know you will now be on the hunt for one lmao!
Thanks Greg! I love the rack, but wish It was black. The oem headlight was like holding a candle in front of the bike to see where you were going at night :laugh:, so it had to go. you can’t tell in the picture, but I have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit tight in front of the headlight to protect it and I do have a bash plate, but hard to see since is the acerbis black plastic one installed by previous owner and Seems pretty stout for my use. As for the centerstand is made by SW motech and very handy to work on the bike, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be jump or heavy off-road friendly. It has caused clearance issues if I try to adjust the brake pedal low enough to get it in the right position to use with my lowered pegs. I thought about modifying the pedal but decided on the warp9 piece and just placed the order last night. Some of the other things it has is thicker handlebars, cogent dynamics valves in the forks with heavier springs, retrofitted KTM ohlins rear shock, pumper carb, case armor plates and the list goes on. Some of the mods, like the carb, was already done when I got it but the rest I’ve done myself. This is my second DR, so I had an idea of what I wanted to do to this one before hand. All I need now is some good trails, but my area only offers beach sand instead of dirt. LOL!

I upgraded my DRZ400's front brakes with and oversize 270mm floating rotor, caliper adapter and new pads, gonna go test it out today. . . but it's winter here and it's a little nippy out there so may wait a bit lol.
Brand is Motomaster, Dutch designed and built, high end piece of kit.

View attachment 1652186

View attachment 1652187

View attachment 1652188
Nice upgrade, @Kiwi Rider !! Your bike looks like it has a nice list of upgrades :thumbsup: my acerbis tank on the DR is clear like your safari, but I hated the yellow look after some years of use. I ended up putting a piece of electrical tape from top to bottom by the frame “neck”, sprayed the tank with white plastidip and then pulled the tape off. I ended up with a tank that looks white, but still has a way for me to see the gas level if I’m off the bike. Is holding up good so far and is easy to touch up. I had several cans of white plastidip from a previous project so it didn’t cost me anything. This 5.3 gallons acerbis would get me pretty far since I average 53MPG cruising at 55MPH with a 14 tooth front sprocket (factory is 15 tooth).

, cogent dynamics valves in the forks with heavier springs, retrofitted KTM ohlins rear shock, pumper carb,
Wow! your suspenders must be like riding on a cruiser, very cool.
And the pumper carb, nice piece!
Well sorted bike mate, it's a never ending journey sorting these Suzooks.
They are a great base platform to start from, then the money is spent 'correcting' them right?
I've spent over $3K on mine in aftermarket bits, worth it when you ride it and the benefits are obvious, but expensive.
Pity how Florida is so flat and boring from an adventure biking perspective . . I bet avoiding the wildlife is fun though!
Crocs are my least favourite predator....shudder.

Wow! your suspenders must be like riding on a cruiser, very cool.
And the pumper carb, nice piece!
Well sorted bike mate, it's a never ending journey sorting these Suzooks.
They are a great base platform to start from, then the money is spent 'correcting' them right?
I've spent over $3K on mine in aftermarket bits, worth it when you ride it and the benefits are obvious, but expensive.
Pity how Florida is so flat and boring from an adventure biking perspective . . I bet avoiding the wildlife is fun though!
Crocs are my least favourite predator....shudder.
Suspensions feels really nice now! I hate the oem pogo stick setup on these bikes. I agreed that it is never ending, but is nice to get a cheaper “blank canvas” and make it your own. The reason I got this specific one was because original owner had a couple of thousand dollars in upgrades already that was not listed on his sale ad, but I knew exactly what I was looking at. I asked my friend to go with me in his truck and we stopped at the bank. My friend asked why I was getting the money without looking at the bike first and I said, I know exactly what I’m looking at and I’m not even planning on asking the seller to drop the price any lower than his asking price. We got there and it was a very nice gentleman that had a nice shop with several KTMs and other brands. He explained that he was selling due to the wife starting to question why he had so many motorcycles just sitting and he decided the DR was the one going on the chopping block. Upon closer inspection and noticed even more upgrades that couldn’t be seen in the pictures and it was a done deal. Lucky me!!!! :thumbsup:

Back