What Did You Do To Your Busa, Today?

Haven't been riding the Busa much these days. I got early this morning and changed the oil and gave her a good washing. Then I went out for a very fast ride. This bike is just plain amazing.

I was worried that getting on the bike after riding the BMW all summer would really expose the Busa's faults. At first the riding position felt a bit extreme. But after 5-10 minutes I was back in sync with the Busa and it was good to be home. That engine is so amazing. Power and control, nothing like it. The BMW has maybe the worse throttle I have ever used, you twist and twist and wait and wait!

What a thrilling bike. Suzuki should be shot for letting this bike fall behind the pack like it has.View attachment 1585038
Pretty, pretty bike.

A few years back I swapped out my old proven bar set up consisting of a Genmar tall riser and Helibars (still have them just in case). I put a lot of miles on that setup but wanted something new that I could customize. I opted for a CNC top yokes clamp, hanging a set of Renthal “Streetfighter” bend Fatbars. I really like this setup and it is also pretty sexy if I do say so myself. But as I rack up more miles on it I find myself wanting more, or should I say different. I would like a little more Sweep, a little less overall width and maybe a scosche more height and I would like to get either Orange or Gold Anodized instead of good old black.

I have a handlebar CAD model I made that has about 10 different configurations of bends plugged into it. Some of those are just way too MX for me so I started narrowing it down a little to the ones I think I like. So I can compare all of them to what I have now and see if I can pick a good starting point that way. I also looked at the stock KTM Superduke bars but couldn’t find the actual dims for it to model, and the GSXS1000 bars are made by Renthal but only available from Suzuki? The Clamp and controls shown are just random parts I downloaded online for illustration only as they say!

The only downside to this is I would have to scrap my grip heaters or just simply buy a second set for the new bar should I want to go back someday. Bars like this are relatively cheap so if it don’t fly, I can just craigslist the one I don’t dig, or make some sort of garage art out of it??? Anyway here is a rudimentary comparison of the one I have now and four of the others I am looking at swapping to. Anybody ever try any of these or go on a bar swapping binge?
bar comparo.JPG
Screenshot_20180707-165915.png

That's pretty cool.....I put a set of Bikemaster bars with the superbike bend on my Bandit and they were plenty comfy. I will be watching what you do here and perhaps emulate it in the future...

It will turn the Busa into a real sport tourer.

A few years back I swapped out my old proven bar set up consisting of a Genmar tall riser and Helibars (still have them just in case). I put a lot of miles on that setup but wanted something new that I could customize. I opted for a CNC top yokes clamp, hanging a set of Renthal “Streetfighter” bend Fatbars. I really like this setup and it is also pretty sexy if I do say so myself. But as I rack up more miles on it I find myself wanting more, or should I say different. I would like a little more Sweep, a little less overall width and maybe a scosche more height and I would like to get either Orange or Gold Anodized instead of good old black.

I have a handlebar CAD model I made that has about 10 different configurations of bends plugged into it. Some of those are just way too MX for me so I started narrowing it down a little to the ones I think I like. So I can compare all of them to what I have now and see if I can pick a good starting point that way. I also looked at the stock KTM Superduke bars but couldn’t find the actual dims for it to model, and the GSXS1000 bars are made by Renthal but only available from Suzuki? The Clamp and controls shown are just random parts I downloaded online for illustration only as they say!

The only downside to this is I would have to scrap my grip heaters or just simply buy a second set for the new bar should I want to go back someday. Bars like this are relatively cheap so if it don’t fly, I can just craigslist the one I don’t dig, or make some sort of garage art out of it??? Anyway here is a rudimentary comparison of the one I have now and four of the others I am looking at swapping to. Anybody ever try any of these or go on a bar swapping binge?
View attachment 1585190View attachment 1585191
I was searching some time back for fat bars suitable for that Busa streetfighter triple clamp setup that I have stored away . I found this company LSL that make plenty of aluminum bars , but also aluminum with carbon overlay sleeve , so lighter than just aluminum and bar vibration is cancelled to a large extent because the carbon diffusion qualities . There are a superbike style bar and at least one other style in carbon in their range . Might be worth a look .
I have an evilbay link , but also try google 'LSL Carbon Fatbars' if you are interested .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LSL-Fat-Bar-Cross-Bar-Lenker-carbonummantelt-X00-matt/301708774535?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Did you cut your side fairing for the clutch cover yourself? I was considering putting a clear cover on mine
Getting ready to rain down here, like every afternoon, so I took advantage of the clouds to back her out and clean it a bit. I forgot how comfortable this bigger corbin seat is compared to the corbin on the gsxr tail conversion kit. She no longer has a personally disorder with her OEM rear end back on. LolView attachment 1585115

I painted my rear peg brackets (will get pictures tomorrow).

I cleaned them, sanded, used self etching primer and used 2 coats of truck bed liner (non abrasive type) and then shot a coat of farm implement paint on them. After which I baked them in the oven for an hour at 200'f.

Turned out decent and I figure they will be durable. I will most likely get the front peg brackets powder coated.

I painted my rear peg brackets (will get pictures tomorrow).

I cleaned them, sanded, used self etching primer and used 2 coats of truck bed liner (non abrasive type) and then shot a coat of farm implement paint on them. After which I baked them in the oven for an hour at 200'f.

Turned out decent and I figure they will be durable. I will most likely get the front peg brackets powder coated.

I did mine in black plastidip. Has held up quite well. Gonna take then off this weekend and redo them. Going to order new rear pegs soon.

20180723_202846.jpg

Hasn't been rode for 2yrs. Got hit from behind.
Just the occasional start up, to get it up to temp (with a fan).

All fixed now. Including me.

New OEM Air Filter.
Bursig Lift.
USB Port.
Chin Mount.
Duel LightMode Neutron S
New 2pc Perrini suit.

Walk Around...check
Fuel...check
Camera On...check
Contact.

Dead Battery.

:crazy:

30m charge will fix that.
It will be 85 out by then.
Initiating Hydration Sequence.

Did you cut your side fairing for the clutch cover yourself? I was considering putting a clear cover on mine
Yes, I did. Just took fairing off and took a piece of cardboard to to cut the size of the clutch cover. I took that piece of cardboard and taped it to the fairing and traced it. A dremmel tool made the cut a piece of cake. I had same intentions as you until, I started reading mixed reviews on the clear covers and decided to leave the sticker on for “now” (that now has turned into 5-6 years). Lol!

Painted the front peg mounts today, used the same method as the back ones, sanded with 220, cleaned with mineral spirits, primed with self etching primer, 2 coats truck bed liner, 1 coat farm implement paint, bake for 1.5 hrs at 200'F and put back on after they cooled...turned out great and hopefully they are durable.

I am thinking about putting 3M protector tape on them for added coverage?

Went for a lil ride around a nearby lake and tried out my new tailbag. Works ok I guess but it’s very small. The universal length attachment straps are useless on our lil back seat but I got it tied down ok. I used it just as a cooler placing an ice pack in first then 2-3 bottles of whatever, then another ice pack over them. Has a small zipper pouch inside the front cover that’s convenient. Overall it’s ok but they could’ve made it just a lil bigger and they could’ve included shorter attachment straps. For $20 it’s fine if you’d prefer one to a larger tank bag but it really is small.
3EB22061-4ED3-46B6-BB14-9BDF7DA094B9.jpeg

B9C9DCCE-1654-482C-8057-82A40F32CF3E.jpeg

Using both, one as a cooler and the other for storage on a weekend ride would be ideal.

Painted the front peg mounts today, used the same method as the back ones, sanded with 220, cleaned with mineral spirits, primed with self etching primer, 2 coats truck bed liner, 1 coat farm implement paint, bake for 1.5 hrs at 200'F and put back on after they cooled...turned out great and hopefully they are durable.

I am thinking about putting 3M protector tape on them for added coverage?
All that work why not just powdercoat

Back