What did I fry by pressing "recondition battery" on my charger?

Audiomaker

Registered
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been on. I've been busy with all sorts of things and not riding the Busa as much in the winter rain.

Ok, so on a 2002 T-busa...

I take it for a ride...cold weather gear on, and I get home and hook the battery up to my automatic charger to keep the battery up.

It's dark in the garage and I know, from reading "conditioning cycle complete" on the charger, that I accidentally pushed the reconditioning cycle of the charger instead of the "charge" button. They are right next to each other.

I try to start the bike, everything is strong, but no start. After cranking for several seconds the FI light comes on.

I have a PCIII.

So without doing a ton of searching and troubleshooting, I'm wondering what might have happened? ECU fried? PCIII fried or lost map?

Just checking if there's any history of a particular problem if one reconditions a battery while connected to the electrical system?

Many Thanks
Sean

Hard to say...possibly a fuse?. I'm afraid you will have to do at least a small amount of troubleshooting. Pull the error code when the FI light comes on. That should give you a good idea where to start looking. Also check for a blown fuse. If the error code ends up being injectors, I would disconnect the PCIII. I doubt it's a lost map. THe PCIII defaults to a Zero Map and the bike should run fine under that map. However, the PCIII could be bad. I'm can't remember if there was a fuse on the red power wire for the PCIII. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but that is how I would approach it.

one easy way to check the fuses is using a multi meter in the continuity setting...press the probes on the two tabs on the outside faces of the fuses...that way you can leave the fuses in place

curious what brand/type of battery charger you're using? I've used this for decades and have had zero issues at all: plug it and forget it.

tenderplus350a._V169911904_.jpg

Yup, I've only used the Battery Tender. Check fuses, take the PCIII off completely and try to start it. If that don't work, :dunno:.

Hey guys, thanks.

The charger is one of those digital chargers. The brand is Black and Decker (like the tools), but it's rebranded. I forget the company but is a ****dyne

Anyway, once the battery is charged, it will monitor and kick in with a 1A charge if the batt' falls below a certain level, so it doubles as a tender.

The reconditioning cycle...well...not sure exactly what that does. It sends a different frequency through the battery, but I don't know exactly what.

There is always the possibility that it's something else, but it's one of those where the bike runs when you shut it off, then won't restart 24hrs later for no apparent reason....except the charger and the cycle.

Well, it seems I'll have to dive into this if there's no obvious answer. I'll keep everyone updated on the solution.

Best
Sean

Reconditioning a battery takes a LOT of time. You have to charge it up, drain it completely, and repeat to "recondition" it. Maybe you tried to do something during the recharge cycle?

Try to recharge it with a NORMAL charger and see if that works. Again, take the PCIII off completely. If none of that works, I know a guy that you can donate your broken bike too :whistle:

(Hint: I was talking about me)

I think that reconditioning cycles are for rechargeable batterys. It is use to fully discharge and recharge batterys like NiMHi which need to be reconditioned approximately every six months to maintain reliability.

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been on. I've been busy with all sorts of things and not riding the Busa as much in the winter rain.

Ok, so on a 2002 T-busa...

I take it for a ride...cold weather gear on, and I get home and hook the battery up to my automatic charger to keep the battery up.

It's dark in the garage and I know, from reading "conditioning cycle complete" on the charger, that I accidentally pushed the reconditioning cycle of the charger instead of the "charge" button. They are right next to each other.

I try to start the bike, everything is strong, but no start. After cranking for several seconds the FI light comes on.

I have a PCIII.

So without doing a ton of searching and troubleshooting, I'm wondering what might have happened? ECU fried? PCIII fried or lost map?

Just checking if there's any history of a particular problem if one reconditions a battery while connected to the electrical system?

Many Thanks
Sean
That setting is a desulfation mode, it hits the battery with higher spikes of power in controlled cycles to break up sulfation in the battery.....its supposed to help you get longer life out of lead acid batteries. BUT, they usually recommend you use that cycle with the battery out of the machine, because the bike electronics aren't designed for those type of charging "spikes". Thats why I've never bought one of those types of chargers, I never pull my batteries out of my machines, I just keep them plugged into tenders when they're parked, and get 10+ years out of a good battery.

Unfortunately it sounds like you fried something....whatever it is will be something that only gets power when the key is off, which can help you rule some things out. Also I would def check your fuses.

Back