What chain length for 18/39 or 38?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I know that the stock length is 114, but what length would you suggest for a sprocket set up of 18/39 or 18/38 if I can find one.

I have found a couple of steel 39 tooth sprockets, but still looking for a 38. If I cannot find one, I will get the 39 and a new 530 chain to match.

I was thinking a 110 RK 530 would do the job, but not sure. Is there a calculator out there or does some one have an educated guess on the link count for the 18/39 sprocket set up?

Nicholas, thanks for the link and that is great information on what my speeds will look like at certain RPM's.

Forgive my ignorance though, I am unable to decipher what length chain it is saying I would require with a 18/39 set up.

I'm 99% sure it will still take 112 to get you there. I'm running 18/41 and have ran the 18/40. It is pretty tight. You have have to be able to move it 5/8" forward to drop those two links. There is not enough room on a Gen I bike anyhow. I think you will find those specs carry over to the Gen II.

I'm 99% sure it will still take 112 to get you there. I'm running 18/41 and have ran the 18/40. It is pretty tight. You have have to be able to move it 5/8" forward to drop those two links. There is not enough room on a Gen I bike anyhow. I think you will find those specs carry over to the Gen II.

Prof, thanks for the input. You are saying that I should drop down from a 114 (stock) to a 112 and that will probably work for the 18/39 configuration?

I plan to get the chain tool with the new chain, so I can go shorter if needed, but want to make sure I do not go too short and need to come up with a longer chain.

Back