What causes this?

shadetree57

Registered
I hope the pics turn out good enough to see the piston. It's been so long since I've done engine work that I'm rusty. I think it's due to a lean condition but am not sure. The left piston is burned down the front to the top compression ring, but the right one isn't burned. Rings are stuck on both pistons. Not enough compression to crank. Thanks for any answers.

100_3671.jpg

Yes, it is too lean. As you richen it up, it will clean that black crud off of the piston. Lean causes black pistons, rich causes clean pistons but dirty exhaust valve. How did it sieze?

Yes, it is too lean. As you richen it up, it will clean that black crud off of the piston. Lean causes black pistons, rich causes clean pistons but dirty exhaust valve. How did it sieze?
I have no Idea, My brotherinlaw got this bike on a trade and wanted me to get it running so we could sell it. I have no background on it. I'm thinkin, part it out and sell it piece by piece. It just ain't worth much, even runnin. It's a 1996 EX 500 kawasaki.

black and charcoaly is rich,white & dusty is lean...pic damage is hard to see

Back