What can you guys tell me about the Yamaha R3?

Slowstang305

Registered
As some of you guys know GF passed her exam and kinda wants to get a bike now. No riding experience but even I started on a 1300CC cruiser. She's very careful and knowledgeable and when we started researching I ran into the R3. I figure for $3-4 grand its a decent looking bike. Basically for 3-4k she can get a 2015-2017 R3 with 2k miles vs. a 2005-2006 R6 with 20k miles and fairing damage. I honestly don't know how this would play out as I have never owned another sports bike except the busa. Will she get bored out of her mind with the lack of power on the R3? Were in South Florida, no twisty roads here... They are kinda cool looking in pictures... I almost want to tell her to just get a newer R6 for a little more money. I saw the KTM Duke 390 was in her price range but the R3 is faster on top end (120MPH). She doesn't want a naked bike but rather a sports bike. No real preference as to the manufacturer.
Yamaha-YZF-R3-Test-Ride-Review-Automobilians-15.jpg

If she wants a sportbike...buy one with adjustable suspension, as that's really what makes it a sportbike.
Even without curves to ride, proper suspension sag makes a night and day difference in handling and stopping, as well as a more comfortable ride.
Real sportbikes also wear sport tires, as they stick. I have ridden Ninja 250's and 500's with those skinny, hard rubber tires. They do not inspire confidence.
The R6 is a superior bike in every way to the R3. It also has a following, as well as big enough sales numbers that it has everything aftermarket available...and I bet readily available and China fairings for a tip-over(she's new, it's when, not if the bike falls over).
The R3 is a commuter, nothing more.
An R6 can actually be ridden.

Another vote for a 600cc. Mileage wouldn’t matter to me.

Busa mileage, 1k or 750 mileage, no big deal in most cases.
A 600, squid flagship, I'de be more concerned. The average 600 has lived on the rev limiter, something that doesn't give those little engines long life.
If it's been cared for, a higher mileage 600 would be ok.

As we discussed before, a 300 is a good starter bike, but if she's a rider it will get boring quickly and they're not really upgradable in terms of performance.
Upsides are styling and fuel injection.
An older 600 would be a good choice also. All depends on what your intentions are, long term.

Take a trip to the dealership see what she fits on for her height. Tell her its like trying on shoes but she is not getting a brand new set just yet. Lowering links if needed.

As some of you guys know GF passed her exam and kinda wants to get a bike now. No riding experience but even I started on a 1300CC cruiser. She's very careful and knowledgeable and when we started researching I ran into the R3. I figure for $3-4 grand its a decent looking bike. Basically for 3-4k she can get a 2015-2017 R3 with 2k miles vs. a 2005-2006 R6 with 20k miles and fairing damage. I honestly don't know how this would play out as I have never owned another sports bike except the busa. Will she get bored out of her mind with the lack of power on the R3? Were in South Florida, no twisty roads here... They are kinda cool looking in pictures... I almost want to tell her to just get a newer R6 for a little more money. I saw the KTM Duke 390 was in her price range but the R3 is faster on top end (120MPH). She doesn't want a naked bike but rather a sports bike. No real preference as to the manufacturer.
View attachment 1593528
My friend has a KTM RC390. Plenty fast enough for him coming from a cbr929. These 300cc bikes are quick and turn some serious rpms. Harley riders say they are fast lol. But you can make throttle mistakes on a 300 ans have time before it makes you regret it 600 not so much. I would not put a newbie that I love on a 600.

Also the 300s are cheep and hold value well. If she want to step up you can usually break even or only lose couple hundred bucks. Most chicks and just like my friend don’t care about hp it does more than what’s needed and looks good.

Suzuki SFV 650 Gladius
In my opinion one of the best starter bikes.(especially for females!)
index.jpg

Comfy seat (very low) and bars position not too much power and very easy to drive! I know it doesnt answer your question about the 300... just throwing in another option!

Im going to try to get her out to the local motorcycle dealer this weekend and have her sit on a bunch of different bikes. Thats probably the best suggestion for sure. I know the moment I saw the busa that did it for me, nothing else compared. Maybe she will run into something like that as well.

Suzuki SFV 650 Gladius
In my opinion one of the best starter bikes.(especially for females!)View attachment 1593529

Comfy seat (very low) and bars position not too much power and very easy to drive! I know it doesnt answer your question about the 300... just throwing in another option!
I tried that trust me. She REALLY likes the look of "sportsbikes" with full fairings.

I tried that trust me. She REALLY likes the look of "sportsbikes" with full fairings.

Yep, ‘those shoes are gonna be REALLY uncomfortable to wear but they’re beautiful, in style (all the cool people have them) so I’m getting them’! Once she sees a bike she likes she’ll buy it no matter how illogical. But the facts are these, she (will) drop it, in the garage, putting the side stand down on a gravel turnout or pulling up at a gas station with slippery cement. It (will) happen and the cost of repairs for a fully faired bike compared to a nekkid or semi nekkid bike is HUGE. Make sure she gets plenty of practice riding in a big deserted parking lot before riding on public streets. You did say she has “no” riding experience. BTW, an R3 has a 120 mph top speed? With a 100 pound pilot, laying down with the wind, maybe...

Maybe something like a GXS650F or something? Looks like a sports bike but more comfortable. May a little 300 would be brutally boring on straight roads in FL. Too bad she won't get an upright. You could buy something you all could explore on 2-up or ride together.
I also have a Yamaha Stryker for 2 up riding. Shes rode it before but I have the controls extended for my size so its a bit difficult to reach for her. Maybe in 5in platforms? LOL

Yep, ‘those shoes are gonna be REALLY uncomfortable to wear but they’re beautiful, in style (all the cool people have them) so I’m getting them’! Once she sees a bike she likes she’ll buy it no matter how illogical. But the facts are these, she (will) drop it, in the garage, putting the side stand down on a gravel turnout or pulling up at a gas station with slippery cement. It (will) happen and the cost of repairs for a fully faired bike compared to a nekkid or semi nekkid bike is HUGE. Make sure she gets plenty of practice riding in a big deserted parking lot before riding on public streets. You did say she has “no” riding experience. BTW, an R3 has a 120 mph top speed? With a 100 pound pilot, laying down with the wind, maybe...
Thats a good point.

Found these pretty interesting too...
https://daytona.craigslist.org/mcd/d/daytona-beach-2009-yamaha-fz6r-only/6797160714.html

My neighbour had a 300 Ninja and he liked it, he is a big guy too and rode the wheels off that thing. Heck, I'd ride one..no reason why your gal wouldn't like it. If she is fixated on a sport bike, any of those little 300s will do. I like the CBR300 too, it looks like a bigger bike than it is...

Back