What brake cleaner do you use?

COLDSTONE1298

Registered
Heard many say just get the spray can brake cleaner at any bike shop. Others suggest acetone which I only know of to be in nail polish with a bunch of other junk in the mix. Electric contact cleaners usually have lubricant in it (that would be fun on the rotors..Not!).

So what's everyone using when the rotors and calipers need cleaning?

The big red or green can from Napa which says, "Brake Cleaner," on it!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

poke.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

I usually just wipe my calipers down with cloth. Cant say I have ever sprayed anything on them. But then again, I wipe the whole bike down before every ride so I dont have any build up.

the only grunge that gets on my brakes comes off with plain old soap and water when I wash the bike down...

I have a long fiber carwash brush that gets into the nooks/crannies just fine.. brake clean does not work well on this stuff anyway..

If the soap and water does not work, get some of the water based engine degreaser.. (sold under some "purple" cleaner name now, I will get the brand name when I get home.) I used to buy this stuff in the 55G drum for the detail shop and it works great on wheel wells, door jambs etc..

it is "highly" alkali however and you do not want it getting on waxed painted surfaces or polished stuff.. it will peel the black dust off in a heartbeat however (I use it on my swing arm where I can not reach with brushes)

You may want to remove the calipers from the bike as well as the pads so you can clean the pucks thoroughly. Regular old brake clean does the trick. A small tooth brush helps to get the real crud to let go after soaking it with brake clean.

While you have the calipers off, you may want to buff the rotors with a piece of fine sand paper to get any glaze off the shinny part?

Good time to install new SBS Sinter Grip Pads!

You may want to remove the calipers from the bike as well as the pads so you can clean the pucks thoroughly. Regular old brake clean does the trick. A small tooth brush helps to get the real crud to let go after soaking it with brake clean.

While you have the calipers off, you may want to buff the rotors with a piece of fine sand paper to get any glaze off the shinny part?

Good time to install new SBS Sinter Grip Pads!
Thanks. I been a lover of the EBC HH pads for a few years now though. There's probably something better out there by now but so far these haven't done no wrong for me. Busa brakes are gonna feel like wood until some real work is done replacing the stock items. Got steel braided lines and Motul DOT 5.1 fluid and that's helped the front end feel some.

Napa, AutoZone, Kragen, matters where yah ...live ..... dare I say PEPBOYS !
thumb_up.gif
We had a pepboys for about a year and they closed. Crap was too pricey i guess. Most of the ricers or wheaters (kids with riced out neons, gran prix's, cavalier's) around here are compiled of ebay used parts or cheap stuff from websites. Almost all of 'em are "slow and hilarious" though.

you also want to see the words "non-chlorinated" on your brake parts cleaner can.... chlorinated brake clean can ruin the air in the shop for hours

Back