What bolts to check after the fairings are off

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I'm going to be pulling both side fairings off, and it occurred to me that there are probably bolts and other things that should be checked.

Can someone give me some suggestions?

Floyd

I'm going to be pulling both side fairings off, and it occurred to me that there are probably bolts and other things that should be checked.

Can someone give me some suggestions?

Floyd

I take my fairings off I put them back if it's not time to do something else. These things when properly torqued don't vibrate apart like V Twins :whistle:

All of them. Couple beers, service manual, torque wrench, wife's sleeping, get to checking....all of them.
Why not?

check out p.450-452 (section 8-43) of the service manual....lists tightening torque values for all fasteners

Oh, I'd agree with that. I had a 1978 Sportster. The vibration cracked a rear view mirror and one of the turn signals fell off.
If were talking 45 degree twin, it's inevitable.

Don't mess with the oil drain plug. Unless it's leaking. They like to strip out easily.

Yeah, and I'm the guy to strip them. Now I make myself hold my hand closer down the handle toward the nut. Why they can't put a steel insert in a drain pan is beyond me. What would it cost them 50 cents?

Floyd

Anytime I have fairings off - I look carefully for three things - Fluid stain around seals, corrosion, wire chafing, burned and broken or dry rotted plastic and rubber bits etc. Also, start it up and take it for a naked spin - just for the fun of it...

Your points are well taken. Around the block with a naked bike. I wonder what that would look like LOL. Seriously though, without a helmet. I can't hear much with it on.

Floyd

Back