What automotive trends do you hate?

mx597turbo

Registered
I've been thinking lately as to how much I dislike most new cars and trucks. There are very few new vehicles I would consider buying, even if I really liked (or had) older versions. This list is not exhaustive, but covers a lot of trends I just don't like:

The death of the manual transmission in just about everything.
Cars are constantly getting bigger and heavier (does not apply to trucks, as bigger/heavier is fine with them)
LED/halogen trim/daytime lights on EVERYTHING (god I'm so sick of this trend already)
All car electrics (hvac, windows, lights, etc) being computerized vs. electrical. What ever happened to switch > relay > device?
Bigger wheels on everything
Independent front suspension on trucks. (there's a reason companies make ifa to sfa conversions, but not the other way around)
Increasing HP instead of lowering weight
Radios integrated into the dash (because now it costs an extra $200-$300 to put in an aftermarket stereo)
On-star style GPS/data integrated in many cars (just don't like this, and would disable it if it were in any car I owned)
Cars that don't have dip sticks for the engine and trans (yes, subaru had a dipstick for the manual trans)

That's all I can think of for now, but may be updating. While many of these things may be fine for your typical sedan and SUV, they just plain suck in most enthusiast cars. Share your thoughts!

Well I don't think cars are getting heavier unless your frame of reference does not extend into the seventies and beyond. They are definitely making them lighter now! Also the average car is far better than just a few years ago in terms of the performance perameters the industry is looking at (mileage, safety, driver aids, etc.). So I guess it sort of depends on what you call an enthusiast. Maybe you don't like all those rider aids but the amount of HP they are rolling onto the dealer showroom floors is impressive, and without TC that would not happen. Same with bikes.

It's funny but the performance bikes of the future will be electric. When you look at what they are doing and what is in the grasp of electronic technology, it's pretty impressive. Trouble with progress is it usually leaves the garage mechanic behind.

Over complicating infotainment systems,

Example: My 2001 Explorer I can change stations, switch to the CD and adjust the sound all without taking my eyes off the road.

The wifes 2014 Focus almost requires a copilot to find everything and the audio settings are buried in a difficult to access menu. Also the voice commands are basically useless because I never get the correct item I ask for and they far more distracting than accessing a menu manually. Just give me real buttons!

I cant seem to find the pic or a link but somewhere think top gear us had every generation ford sho. I believe from that you can see what op is talking about with size and weight.

Just another example back in the day I had a 99 Nissan Maxima considered to be a full size sedan. Now thats about the same size as the sentra, a compac car.

No more manual transmissions. I know the new automatics and paddle shifts are the way to go but there is something about shifting.
Data logging and reading by the insurance industry, lawyers, governments, FOX News, people in black helicopters, the list goes on!

Some of the car companies are using fake engine sounds in their new cars. How cheesy is that?

I'm not sure how this is categorized, but the new addition of the Ford engine's ability to randomly shoot spark plugs out of the head..... Ya, I could do without that trend.

Sorry, that probably isn't what you're going for.

Lots of plastic, and Bluetooth everything. Car companies wanting to be compatible with iOS X.x but not being able to keep up with the software updates (even aftermarket stereos, like Pioneer).

Some of the car companies are using fake engine sounds in their new cars. How cheesy is that?

I believe BMW does this with their new M series, they make the "engine noise" come from the speakers to make it seem like its throaty, but alas..

-D

The auto transmission is in response to the excessive involvement by the tree huggers. Cars are over restricted because of their supposed environmental impact...

In the last 20+ yrs I have only had a couple of cages but most have been std trans, even took my DL test in an Alfa Romeo and everyone thought I was crazy. I don't care for the newer vehicles that don't allow the driver to feel the road and do Way too much thinking for the operator. My youngest just got a new "to her" car with a stick and is loving it! Her first time to drive a manual trans and she doing well. I think everyone should at least get the feel of a real car to hone skills and actually know how to drive a car rather than just riding in one.
It seems that in today's world driving IS the distraction and most people just want to do other things and not bother with all that driving stuff, why do you think so many are embracing the "driverless" cars of the future? I don't like the look of future commuting on these roads with more drivers with less skills.
Just my 2, carry on.

Trends I hate, how about new paint schemes for the new year release!

i second plastic crap interiors, cheap stereos, lack of manual trans, seats are uncomfortable as hell, i cant stand all these x over crap as wanna be 4x4 vehicles that make these idiots feel invincible. When it comes to bikes. keep all your electronic bs. Give me fuel injection and leave it there.

Fake engine sounds?? Tell me that isn't true.... Wow.

So true that even one car in europe will allow you to make your car sound like another car.

Its some hot hatch over there with a i4 and you can press a button to sound like a gtr or a corvette or something else. Believe it was about 5 car options.

Wait... it sounds like another car TO YOU, or it sounds like another car outside of your car? That's great marketing, honestly, if people are actually buying into it. That's crazy. I'm curious how they do it.

Back