What are you doing to offset price increases?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Nothing political here, it's just a fact that things cost more right now. I was curious on how this is affecting the members of the site. What kind of adjustments have you made to offset the cost of gas as an example, are you driving less or riding the bike to work more?

Are you eating out less, have you cut into your entertainment budget to pay for the necessities, cancelled your vacation etc....

For me, we increased the size of our garden this year to help offset food cost and we let the grass get a little taller than normal between mowings.

How about you?

Just had to pay the balance for my holiday £4300 pound, which last time I went was£3000 . Out of curiosity I had a look this morning and it's was priced at £5500 .If it doesn't drop down I don't think many people could afford a holiday,this world has gone mad
Someone has to pay for all these lockdowns and free money government's have given away across the world

Stopped driving to work all-to-gather. I work remote 100% of the time now. In my f150 that saved me 200 a week. I also drop some insurance garbage i carried and saved another hundy. We also made our garden a little larger to help offset prices. I also buy all meat in bulk straight from the farmer and it usually ends up being less than half price of stores. example hamburger 80/20 roughly 2 bucks a lbs.

Any outings we ty to eat at home before we go etc.

Haven't done a darned thing...life continues as before...I'm retired so drive little and the wife already drives a fairly fuel efficient car to work. There are only two of us here so our grocery bill isn't too bad to start with and we generally cook everything from scratch.

I cut two lawns sometimes twice a week, it it has to be done, it gets done.

Even with all the price increases of everything, I still see lots and lots of vehicle traffic and I see lots of toys being bought-there are long waiting lists for those (side by sides, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, boats, jet skis, motorcycles) and people are paying exactly what the dealers are asking or they move on to the next person on the list.

Fortunately I was in the middle of a major life change so it not hitting me as hard as some.

Took early retirement, sold a property in the city, bought 20 rural acres and built a semi-off grid house and sheds.
No phone or TV cable, no mains gas, water, or sewer, no dustbins or mail delivery. Only have power but that will be eventually replaced by a large solar system / battery wall and a generator.

Fuel has been the least of my worries when building and setting everything up but the dust is starting to settle and we moved in last Saturday.

Now vehicles are predominantly for leisure or shorter runs to the doc’s or hardware store etc. Although fuel prices are a bit salty at the pump it hasn’t really effected how and where I drive.

I bought a Hayabusa to save on gas...
Here in NZ the cost of licensing (registration) a Busa is $567 a year, combine that with tyres, servicing, insurance, safety checks etc, its cheaper by the km to run a car to work and back.
I'm doing a lot of bike servicing and maintenance/upgrades for friends bikes here at home in the evenings and weekends to make a little extra to pay the bills.
The cost of living here in NZ is eye watering compared to the US.
My social life is staying home as much as possible and in weekends try to get over to see my mates and ride my bikes for fun. I do not drink or smoke, I'm single and live as simply as possible.
My staff account at work is around $1500 a month so gives you an idea of how much home work I'm doing. My friends are generous and appreciate my efforts and the presentation of their bikes when I return them looking and running awesome!
So I work all day and night and make money rather than foolishly waste money.

I had this discussion with someone recently.

I live on acreage near a small country town, half an hour from a city that’s away from the coast. It’s not a big place but we get some traffic passing by, much more leisure than commercial, this has increased not slowed down.

Grey Nomads (pensioners with caravans touring the country) bike clubs heading out to the mountains or a rural cafe, car clubs like Holden, VW, Classic etc using the local park for a drive out and a “Show and Shine” and if anything there’s more than ever. Getting out and enjoying a Sunday ride or drive seems to a priority over the actual $$’s. The post Covid boom is still continuing.

I think the folk who are doing it tough and feeling the pinch are those commuting, doing the school run, doing deliveries, kids to sport, visiting family etc…. for those who always had expensive hobbies like a motorcycle, classic car or hundreds of thousands of $$’s invested in a 4x4, caravan or motor home its still not nice but a smaller part of the picture.

Back