What are these plugs telling me?

Mathewrussell52

Registered
24,000 miles I assume they are stock. So I was surprised 1-2-3 were not tight at all 1-2 I thought the socket was not on the plug because it had no resistance. 1-2-3 look a little lean and have some specks on them hope it’s not from the piston melting but 4 looks good.

65979D7C-C49C-4B28-8D91-D0C3EBE1CADF.jpeg

Would suspect low compression from air escaping past the plugs and poor burn because of it
NOT an expert but, were it me I would install a new set of plugs properly tightened ride about 400 miles and take them out and have a look. If they are still that black I would say you are way too rich. But that is me

#4 looks like a used plug, with a tune that’s a bit on the fat side.

If it weren’t for the speckling on the others I’d say the same for them for the most part. If I pulled those plugs out of a bike at my shop I would do a compression test, and stick my camera down the spark plug holes to inspect the tops of the pistons.

What is likely the problem is the injectors are clogged up causing your lean conditions. And being as 1&2 are the worst looking that falls in line with a bike that isn’t ridden routinely and sits for periods at a time. 1&2 are the lowest cylinders when on the kick stand, and if there’s junk in the fuel rail it will settle in the rail at the lowest point.

Gen 2 injectors turn to poop fast because of how their tips are designed.

#4 looks like a used plug, with a tune that’s a bit on the fat side.

If it weren’t for the speckling on the others I’d say the same for them for the most part. If I pulled those plugs out of a bike at my shop I would do a compression test, and stick my camera down the spark plug holes to inspect the tops of the pistons.

What is likely the problem is the injectors are clogged up causing your lean conditions. And being as 1&2 are the worst looking that falls in line with a bike that isn’t ridden routinely and sits for periods at a time. 1&2 are the lowest cylinders when on the kick stand, and if there’s junk in the fuel rail it will settle in the rail at the lowest point.

Gen 2 injectors turn to poop fast because of how their tips are designed.
Interesting info re the fuel rail on the angle and the debris settling when on the side stand for long periods, had never thought of that, but will add that to my arsenal of diagnoses in the future, thanks, I learned something today! :thumbsup:

Interesting info re the fuel rail on the angle and the debris settling when on the side stand for long periods, had never thought of that, but will add that to my arsenal of diagnoses in the future, thanks, I learned something today! :thumbsup:
I have found if I just keep quiet when the elders are speaking I tend to learn things. Good point Boosted Thanks for the info
John

I used to install my plugs and torque them to factory spec. Several times I found loose ones. Now I tighten them until I feel the crush washer just finish crushing and give them about an eighth of a turn more. No more loose plugs. Be sure to use antiseize compound on the threads.

Back