What are the signs of a failing damper?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I don’t have another Busa to compare and since riding the Kawasaki which has an ultra light feel when turning the bars, I’ve noticed that in comparison the Busa feels extra heavy when turning the bars. I know the seating and lean angle to the bars is different but it still feels kinda too heavy.

I don’t have another Busa to compare and since riding the Kawasaki which has an ultra light feel when turning the bars, I’ve noticed that in comparison the Busa feels extra heavy when turning the bars. I know the seating and lean angle to the bars is different but it still feels kinda too heavy.
I think you can change the oil in the damper...?

If the damper has lost it's damping ability then there would be no symptoms until you developed a rapid oscillation in the steering assembly colloquially know as headshake or tankslapper. If the damper has failed and is too stiff it could cause the symptoms you describe.

I would simply remove the damper and if you are able to easily and slowly move the shaft in and out by hand the problem is not the damper.

cheersken

They are easy to service . Leaking is usually the sign of failure . One must get the air out though after service though.
mine dont leak or anything. I just thought after 10 years it would be a good time to change the oil in them. Especially since now the depressing wintertime starts!:-)

You are assuming a lot of things here, you need to actually test a few things.
Get the front end off the ground and swing the steering thru it’s arc, with the damper connected, then with the damper disconnected.
Compare the feel between connected and disconnected, with it disconnected it should freely move with a light push, with it connected you will feel some resistance.
Personally I always remove dampers from my bikes and if it improves the steering feel I leave it off... which is the case with my current Busa.

@WuzzaCBXRider @Sandow

Did either of you ever attempt steering damper maint?
I can't tell if it's a front tire w/ 8k miles, or a steering damper in need of maint, but the feel of the steering has definitely changed (lightened up), almost overnight.

@WuzzaCBXRider @Sandow

Did either of you ever attempt steering damper maint?
I can't tell if it's a front tire w/ 8k miles, or a steering damper in need of maint, but the feel of the steering has definitely changed (lightened up), almost overnight.

No and after some more riding I think I was imagining it. Turns as it should. I was just comparing it to my Kaw and thought there was a difference.

They are easy to service . Leaking is usually the sign of failure . One must get the air out though after service though.

I only use Dutch products lol Putoline HPX 5 fork oil

Back