What are the best mods

Goes9s

Registered
Looking to continue to add power to the beast. I have Yoshi full TRS system, K&N filter, TRE and the power commander. I do not want turbo or NOS yet or internal motor work. Is there anything else I can do for power?
One more thing, with what i have so far can the Busa hit 200MPH? I've already done 180 using GPS yellow box so I know that's accurate. Thanks.

I'm just getting going with my Busa mods also, but I've been riding and modifying street bikes and dirt bikes for many years now. I would say without further motor work, turbo, or N2O you should look toward weight reduction. Maybe a set of lighter wheels, get rid of the grab bar, carbon fiber body work, etc...

I haven't tried them yet but I hear that ceramic wheel bearings can go a long way in your search for top speed. Racers will often ditch the O-ring chain to reduce friction drag. A good motorcycle quality synthetic oil could help reduce friction losses in the engine.

That's just my $.02 worth.

About the only other thing to do is get the bike tuned. Won't get you to 200, but will definitely help out the performance.

How do you ride your bike? If you do mostly street riding and are looking for the best bang for the buck you might look at a change in gear ratio by changing the front and rear sprocket. However, without making some major engine mods such as a turbo, increased displacement, or both, I think you will have a hard time getting the bike to run 200 MPH.

Thanks all for the feedback and tips. I already had the bike tuned and in the process of replacing any part I can find with carbon fiber. I'll check the math on gear ratios to see if it will matter but I'm hearing if you have a long enough stretch on a calm wind day it is possible to hit 200MPH. All of my riding is done on highway runs and now switched from 4 wheel drag (9sec honda civic 716hp) to 2 wheel drag. What a big difference in launching. Looking for more adrenaline!

What cam degrees are people using to gain a little power?

Also what is the airbox mod i keep seeing that everyone has done? and are the facatory pro "superflare" volicity stacks any good? What about the "pair block off kit" on Shnitz racing?

Here is some info on the small box mod,it works. Will need a little map work after. Do the block off's while you are at it. Get rid of the tre,it's hurting not helping. You are not makeing enough h/p to pull 200.

gear calc

Thanks Chevelle, I've been riding for years, not a Busa, but this is the first time I've tried mod'ing a bike or racing one so I'll take all of the tips and advice I can get. Why do they call it a "small box mod"? Why is the TRE hurting not helping? Thanks again for the 411.

There are 2 box mods,small and large. The small box will help with most any combo mild to wild. The large box is a bit more radical,some swear by it...others laugh at it. Lots of nitrous guys use it. (i don't) A search on any busa board will net a lot of info on the subject.

The tre,Suzuki took the time to build 6 fuel/timing curves. A tre locks the bike into a rich 4th or 5th gear (depending on the tre) map at all times.

Good luck hitting 200. Be safe!! There are lots of people passing away this year. I dont think it would be a smart idea to go 200 on the highway all it takes is a little wind, keep it to the tracks. Be safe!

Thanks Scipione420 for your concern. I try to do things as safe as I can with minimal risk (45 years old with 3 kids) but at 200MPH that is a risk in itself whether on a track or highway. The time I did bring it up to 180 was a very calm wind day and I had 5 miles ahead of me with no traffic and smooth highway. There are several spots like that here so I'm not trying to do it in the middle of traffic or in such a short run. Like this idiot I saw yesterday, a stunter popped it up right beside me to show off and rode a 80mph wheelie between two cars...and we wonder why people are dying on thier bikes...

I laugh at comments like that, "a Visa card with 20K". I built a 9 sec civic with less HP than most in my class. I have a degree in Mathematics and its as simple as physics, what i don't have is knowledge in the motorcylce world. HP plays a degree in forward motion (obviously) but aerodynamics, gearing and distance can over come a lack of X HP. Check the proof at Bonniville. Most of the world land speed records have far less HP than most drap racing applications. I can guarantee and wager any of my pinks slips that I can make a 172HP Busa break the 200 hp bearer, I just don't have 172 hp yet. What everyone is trying to do is accomplish this feat in 1 mile like Maxon. It can be done at 172Hp in 4.16 miles at 645lbs including driver, stock tire size and at 11127 rpm in 6th gear. The gearing I'll keep to myslef and by the way those gear calculations out there are off past 183MPH.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Check the proof at Bonniville.  Most of the world land speed records have far less HP than most drap racing applications.  I can guarantee and wager any of my pinks slips that I can make a 172HP Busa break the 200 hp bearer, I just don't have 172 hp yet.  What everyone is trying to do is accomplish this feat in 1 mile like Maxon.  It can be done at 172Hp in 4.16 miles at 645lbs including driver, stock tire size and at 11127 rpm in 6th gear.  The gearing I'll keep to myslef and by the way those gear calculations out there are off past 183MPH. [/quote]

I believe you. Anybody seen the movie, "World's Fastest Indian"? It's based on true story, and that was a '40s era Indian that reached 200MPH at Bonneville. Besides when the Busa came out in 99 many magazines were claiming speeds in the 190's...stock! I'll admit in a 1 mile event maybe you need 200HP. That's fine if that's what you're going for. Some people just want to hit that 200MPH mark for our own satisfaction and don't care if takes place in a certain distance or time.

ahhh... The real Burt Munro never broke 200mph. It's sounds alot better for a movie though.

As far as hitting actual 200mph I would say to get repeatable results on the road with a street setup you should still target the 190rear wheel hp range. Can it be done with less.. yes, but not as often. If your goal is to just once to get past 200mph then just get everything perfect, point it down hill and you'll have better results.

btw.. the gear calcs that are out there are just for basic ballpark figures. Calcs can be very close to correct actual numbers if enough variables are included and are correct. Are you sure you were using Pi or were you using 3.14? do you use primary as 1.596 or 83/52? Did you measure loaded tire radius? Oh yea how about tire growth and wear? Is the Air pressure right?

Concentrate on Force instead of Velocity...

oh yea just noticied the I'll keep my gear to myself coment.... I don't think you need to keep something like how to hit theoretical 200mph in 4.16miles, blah, blah a secret....
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

don't take it personaly though...
beerchug.gif

Looking to continue to add power to the beast.  I have Yoshi full TRS system, K&N filter, TRE and the power commander.  I do not want turbo or NOS yet or internal motor work.  Is there anything else I can do for power?
One more thing, with what i have so far can the Busa hit 200MPH?  I've already done 180 using GPS yellow box so I know that's accurate.  Thanks.
hi nt sure if this work but base on ur saying that u do not wan any mod to the engine but will be quite hard.

u can do a simple mod when doing ur valve/tappet clearance. swoping the exhaust cam to be intake cam. was told that it will be better. then do the air box mod for more air intake...

then i think with the pc tune properly with the increase timing of the cams and air intake, u shld be quite ok.

but then i read up some where of changing the injector to cbr1100 or S2000.
i am nt sure the why... maybe some one can fill me in on this?

i am banging on the idea, with more fuel, u need more air, thus with the new timing from the cam, u can pull more from the bike. changing gear ratio also helps too in the overall.

Hey guys - great dialog and feedback. I am new to the sport of racing bikes but not to mathematics and theories.

Didn't mean to offend anyone about keeping the gearing to myself i just wanted to prove my theory before a broadcast information that may need to be tweaked to hit the actual goal and the goal is to hit it twice, once for fun once to validate it as not a fluke. Then I'm done! back to drag racing.

The quantitative analysis i used is far more complicated than using simple PII but you did bring up a good point about tire growth, a factor I considered but haven't been able to measure yet. I need a static way to measure like a dyno where i can play with tire pressure to achieve my results without crashing. I noticed this on my run to 180mph. With the low "UFO" undertail I'm using the tire did rub under the left and right side of the undertail..CRAP. Need to fix that also.

tire growth will vary depending on tire size, brand, psi, nitrogen vs air, and tire temp.

I also don't know if a dyno will be able to tell you how much growth since you have to strap the bike down and "smush" the foot print which would equate to a different loaded radius. Also the radius changes as weight ratio moves away from the rear.

There are a ton of factors that can be calculated in or you can give yourself a margin of say 3% +/-
beerchug.gif

Back