what a horrible RE-discovery I have made....

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
TEQUILA. The other day I had a hankering for a shot or 2 of Tequila. Off to the jar store I go. I ask the cashier for advice on a nice "middle of the road" bottle. Not too pricey,but not paint thinner either. She tells me to go talk to the manager.Why? Well, because he is Mexican.I thought to myself that her comment was a little racist and stereotypical. Turns out the dude just knew everything there was to know about the booze from his homeland. Very cool,knowledgeable and entertaining dude.

So after some schooling I buy 2 bottles. One cost me 90 bucks,the other 120 bucks. OUCH right? But I have to tell you what an' amazing beverage when you step up into the higher quality category. The stuff I had been drinking over the years tasted like donkey pi55 compared to this stuff. There was even a huge difference in taste quality between the 2 bottles I had purchaced. I learned a ton from this guy:

Did you know the shot glass was invented for the sole purpose of drinking tequila.At first they drank out of a bulls horn.Then they used a giant seed,hollowed out with the top cut off,and eventually the shot glass.

It takes 7 years or more for the plant to mature before it is completely cut down.(another plant must be seeded for the process to begin again.) It's not actually a cactus plant as I always thought,it's a plant that belongs to the "Lilly Family". Wierd right.

Be carefull buying tequila's that have that nice dark coloring. The dark color suggests it has been aged.Nice Tequila gets aged in American or French oak barrels. Cheaper tequila's get a darker color by adding caramel. Thats where your nasty hangover comes from,all that high sugar caramel.

Buying a better tequila. The types: White or silver types are basically poured from vats directly into bottles for sale. Then you have the Gold. A bit better but it may have only been rested (aged) for 3 months and is quite often a blended mix of 51% agave and the rest a lesser quality. Then you have your reposado (meaning aged) for atleast 3 months. Then you have what I like better. Añejo, which means "vintage", this is the good stuff. Aged 1-3 years. Then you get to what I will only drink from now on. Extra Añejo tequila .Aged 3 years or more. YUMMY! LOL.

If you want the good stuff buy only 100% blue agave. Be wary of bottles that say made with 100% agave.:rulez:

Today we drink our finer tequila's out of a cognac glass. Everyone know's there is the right glass for every type of spirit.There are even different types of glasses for the different categories of beer. Pilsners,lagers,ale's etc.

So there you have some neat factoids on Tequila. It shouldn't burn on the way down. It can and should be smooth as silk.

I bought Don Julio and Grand Mayan. I will never step backwards again.

Peace and good drinking....

Rubb.

O ya...I said "Horrible re-discovery" because my better knowledge and taste have made my wallet extremely light.:whistle::banghead:

Anybody bored by the fact that I am posting again...???

I don't care.:rofl:

RSD.

Well done, I've discovered in the last couple years that good booze can be consumed without a mix. If you must mix it the it's not very good stuff.
Drink wisely everyone

Have you ever tried mescal? Think its made from the same family of plants but has a bit of a smokey taste to it. Just another good drink to expand your horizons of fine drinks from Mexico.

Well done, I've discovered in the last couple years that good booze can be consumed without a mix. If you must mix it the it's not very good stuff.
Drink wisely everyone

Agreed Bro. When I have a sip or two of whiskey its straight up or over ice or with just a bit of cool water.

Booze and pop....:puke:

RSD.

Have you ever tried mescal? Think its made from the same family of plants but has a bit of a smokey taste to it. Just another good drink to expand your horizons of fine drinks from Mexico.

Yup,good stuff. It's actually spelt with a z not an' s. But who care's right. Its made from a sister plant to the agave called maguey.

Class dismissed....:learn:.......:laugh:

RSD.

Never been a big drinker of tequila usually had some at parties and such with the whole salt lemon/lime gimmick. Great thread though Rubb, very insightful and it makes me wanna try some :beerchug:

Tequila, my favorite drink. Usually drink mixed like a margarita, but if it is good quality, sipping is good. I found a good middle of the road one you might like. Camarena Reposado. I'm sure it's not high end, but is noticeably better than the usual Jose Cuervo. Got one in the trunk of my car (wife doesn't like booze in the house) and drink it after she goes to bed. Sweet dreams.

Good tip,thanks. You get out the tequila after she goes to bed.:nono: That's awesome.:laugh:

RSD.

I had the most horrific experience with tequila many years ago. It was so bad, I could barely say the word "tequila" without that feeling in the back of your throat and on your tongue - you know, the one where you're about to throw up even when you're sober? :laugh: I didn't touch the stuff or even smell it for maybe a decade.

Then we're on vacation with friends in Key West and we want to buy bottles of good sipping beverages, so it's going to cost us. We stopped at a tiny street-side bar where the bartender was more than happy to explain all of our options, let our friend taste test. I was still hesitant when we got to our rental and I was handed that glass of tequila, but that's when I found out that garbage I'd had all those years ago was just that - garbage. Wish I knew what we'd bought in Key West. It was pricey, but it was smooth, and it was gone in no time. A decent tequila I've had many times since is Patron...

Never got that back story Rub, so it pays to learn from those that know even more about the history of it. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! ;)

I don't really drink very often (a 6 of beer stays in the frig months) and I absolutely hate alcohol. But the only exceptions are very good tequila straight and very good gin mixed with juice. Don't do these often and never to excess.

Excellent post though, I love learning stuff like this.

You know Rub - it would have been one of the best posts you have ever done IF you had posted Pictures of the bottles you bought.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing what the bottles looked like would have greatly helped out someone
wanting to purchase exactly what you were taking about. Being in Canada I'm curious as to if the bottles you have are the same price here.
If I had images to look at (and maybe even print out) I would go to see if they were the same price OR even available where I live.

So how about a few pics? Half full is fine, as seeing exactly how dark it is might help spot it in the sea of bottles available. :laugh:

Just so I'm straight - was the $120 better then the $90 bottle? So you would never buy the $90 bottle again?

You know Rub - it would have been one of the best posts you have ever done IF you had posted Pictures of the bottles you bought.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing what the bottles looked like would have greatly helped out someone
wanting to purchase exactly what you were taking about. Being in Canada I'm curious as to if the bottles you have are the same price here.
If I had images to look at (and maybe even print out) I would go to see if they were the same price OR even available where I live.

So how about a few pics? Half full is fine, as seeing exactly how dark it is might help spot it in the sea of bottles available. :laugh:

Just so I'm straight - was the $120 better then the $90 bottle? So you would never buy the $90 bottle again?

My bad Red. I would buy the 90 again...but only if the primo was sold out. There is that big a difference. IMHO.

RSD.

IMG_20150329_151449.jpg

IMG_20150329_151500.jpg

IMG_20150329_151529.jpg

IMG_20150329_151540.jpg

I recently went on a trip to Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco MX where I found out all Tequila comes from with very few exceptions. And man, they had some smooth tequila! I have always hated taking shots of any alcohol, but when I tasted some very well made tequila there was no fiery burn, just a pleasant warming sensation. Now my wife gets a little fiery when she sees the receipts after a trip to the liquor store.

I recently went on a trip to Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco MX where I found out all Tequila comes from with very few exceptions. And man, they had some smooth tequila! I have always hated taking shots of any alcohol, but when I tasted some very well made tequila there was no fiery burn, just a pleasant warming sensation. Now my wife gets a little fiery when she sees the receipts after a trip to the liquor store.

I have been telling the bro's for years...when the clerk in the liquer store, the auto parts store, your local Suzuki dealer asks if you want a receipt...

the answer is always no. NO. No evidence,no paper trail. :whistle:

RSD.

I'm totally honest about what I buy because I have my job, money, back account, and share of bills to pay and she has her own set of everything too. If she has a problem with I buy, tough luck. There is a lot of that. Lol

I have been telling the bro's for years...when the clerk in the liquer store, the auto parts store, your local Suzuki dealer asks if you want a receipt...

the answer is always no. NO. No evidence,no paper trail. :whistle:

RSD.

So you only pay with CASH :laugh:

I'm going to assume that the Grand Mayan cost the $120, right? The hand painted bottle probably cost $20 or more by itself.
Don't remember seeing a bottle like that before - may have to go to a store that ONLY sells liqueur to find that one.

Thanks for the pictures. :thumbsup:

So you only pay with CASH :laugh:

I'm going to assume that the Grand Mayan cost the $120, right? The hand painted bottle probably cost $20 or more by itself.
Don't remember seeing a bottle like that before - may have to go to a store that ONLY sells liqueur to find that one.

Thanks for the pictures. :thumbsup:

No I don't always pay with cash....EVEN BETTER.... I don't have a wife.:rofl:

RSD.

Back