What a history!

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
The Origins Of The Hayabusa

Suzuki said the first Hayabusa invented a new category called Ultimate Sport. We said, “Yeah, right,”…until we rode it.

The Hayabusa made you consider things you’d never considered before. Take the definition of “corner.” We all know what that means, right? We find them on winding back roads, or at intersections with other roads. But is there really a corner on the freeway or interstate? No, you say? The 1999 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa said yes.

At the 1998 press launch for the 1,298cc copper-and-gold beast, it seemed impossible that Suzuki wanted us to spend an entire day at Circuit de Catalunya in Spain, followed by a day of “touring” on the road. Further to this, we even had a track session in the morning before our, um, tour. This was a 550-pound missile sent to kill the Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird and crush the previous king of speed, the Kawasaki ZX-11. It wasn’t a racer replica built to win some crazy (nonexistent) 1,300cc roadrace championship.

Yet there we were. And it was amazing what this bike did on this Spanish Grand Prix racetrack, lap after lap, with only a mildly spongy front brake lever to show for its remarkable speed and not insubstantial weight. Well, that and fairing sides and engine covers that scraped on the tarmac, particularly in the long, right-hand turn 3, where this bike demonstrated stability on the edge of the tire that belied all its might and girth. No one at the launch could believe what we were getting away with. Draft passes as we dipped into fifth gear down the long front straight. The Hayabusa ripped through fifth gear like most bikes did third.

Performance progress is so typically “last year, plus 3 percent” that when a bike like the Hayabusa comes along, it sends a shock through the system that tends to change the performance landscape. But it was more than just this great leap in outright performance, it was the remarkable overall balance and sweet rideability of the Hayabusa that set it apart. During the press presentation in Spain prior to testing, the public-relations backhoe was running full-steam, and we skeptical journalists all leaned back in our chairs and scoffed when Suzuki said, “The Hayabusa has invented a new category called ‘Ultimate Sport.’” After riding for two days, we were all discussing the merits of this new Ultimate Sport class the Hayabusa had invented.

At the time, the Honda CBR1100XX was the most recent bike in the road-burner class, and it was lovely, smooth, and quite fast, but it was no contest in our June 1999 comparison test with the ‘Busa. Kawasaki tried to strike back with the 2000 ZX-12R and later with the ZX-14, but these fell on each side of the Hayabusa in spirit and never equaled it in performance. The 12R was harder and less comfortable, like a giant sportbike. The 14 felt heavy and soft, early models truly a fright on the racetrack. The Hayabusa had comfort and competence on the road with tractable power and refinement, and also remarkable agility and speed at the racetrack.

In the years since, every possible thing has been done with a Hayabusa, both in Gen 1 form and the 2008 to current 1,340cc version. You want 500 hp or more? Just make a few calls and the parts will arrive. Rad Greaves cut a Gen 1 model in half to shorten the wheelbase and added wings long before MotoGP ever screwed with it, and raced the bike in AMA Formula Xtreme. I tested one of Greaves’ cut-in-half bikes at Willow Springs International Raceway, and it was the first bike that ever made me wonder if my affairs were in order.

The Cycle World 1999 Hayabusa ran a 9.86-second, 146 mph quarter-mile—face-meltingly fast for the time and still among the best we’ve ever recorded. It also did 194 mph for the old CW Stalker radar gun, which we are going to bronze and hang on the wall in our office because no bike that gun has recorded before or since will ever go so fast. Yes, the ‘Busa remains the fastest production top speed we have ever recorded, and its overriding competence in crushing air like this led to the 2000 “gentleman’s agreement” among manufacturers to voluntarily limit top speed to 300 kph, or 186 mph, so that governments wouldn’t intervene. A record attained, then preserved.

Too beautiful to live and too rare to die? OK, I think we can all agree the ‘Busa isn’t pretty. And, boy, were we confused by its looks when it debuted at the Cologne Show like some copper-colored cosmic suppository. What I will say now is: We just didn’t know that this is what the world’s fastest production motorcycle was supposed to look like. Could it look any other way than how it does?

Not long after I finished my First Ride report for Cycle News, where I worked when the bike was launched, I was hired at Cycle World, just in time to take on the Hayabusa as my long-term testbike. There were many great adventures in that 12,000 miles of testing, not least of which was leaving work on a Friday afternoon at about 4 p.m. to crush LA rush hour, and then Mach-speed my way to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, a 521-mile jaunt up Interstate 5. Like a good citizen who wanted to spend the weekend ripping laps at a two-day Jason Pridmore Star School and not in jail, I mostly obeyed the speed limit, and it took me eight hours. If only I’d been able to use the Hayabusa as intended, I might have done it in four hours, at an easy 160 mph, with gas stops.

Which brings up this important point: The only flaw with the Hayabusa wasn’t in the bike. It was that the bike was born into a world with laws. Its broad, deep, dense competence deserved a world without puny man-made limitations like traffic lights and speed limits. For two beautiful days in Spain, we rode like newly born gods searching for the end of sixth gear on freeways, dragged fairings while hitting 165 mph or more, lap after lap, on one of the greatest racetracks in the world, going faster and doing more than with any other production bike ever made. In a career of rare experiences, this pure moment in time allowed a weird bubble of impunity to descend upon us at that press launch, and we got to experience to the fullest extent what this remarkable motorcycle actually meant.

As much as Suzuki’s soul gets its divine light from the GSX-R, the Hayabusa is where engineering put supernatural powers, with lights and a license plate, in our hands. We never envisioned the aftermarket industry it would spawn and how fast so many could go, or how beautiful it was to ride this bike at “normal” speeds, knowing at any moment you could sample a kind of freedom never experienced by mortals.

839DDE01-329F-43C4-BD9F-408329E68AA0.png
3D306B53-4226-444F-8353-88FE1FA9AA6C.png

Last edited:
The Origins Of The Hayabusa

Suzuki said the first Hayabusa invented a new category called Ultimate Sport. We said, “Yeah, right,”…until we rode it.

The Hayabusa made you consider things you’d never considered before. Take the definition of “corner.” We all know what that means, right? We find them on winding back roads, or at intersections with other roads. But is there really a corner on the freeway or interstate? No, you say? The 1999 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa said yes.

At the 1998 press launch for the 1,298cc copper-and-gold beast, it seemed impossible that Suzuki wanted us to spend an entire day at Circuit de Catalunya in Spain, followed by a day of “touring” on the road. Further to this, we even had a track session in the morning before our, um, tour. This was a 550-pound missile sent to kill the Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird and crush the previous king of speed, the Kawasaki ZX-11. It wasn’t a racer replica built to win some crazy (nonexistent) 1,300cc roadrace championship.

Yet there we were. And it was amazing what this bike did on this Spanish Grand Prix racetrack, lap after lap, with only a mildly spongy front brake lever to show for its remarkable speed and not insubstantial weight. Well, that and fairing sides and engine covers that scraped on the tarmac, particularly in the long, right-hand turn 3, where this bike demonstrated stability on the edge of the tire that belied all its might and girth. No one at the launch could believe what we were getting away with. Draft passes as we dipped into fifth gear down the long front straight. The Hayabusa ripped through fifth gear like most bikes did third.

Performance progress is so typically “last year, plus 3 percent” that when a bike like the Hayabusa comes along, it sends a shock through the system that tends to change the performance landscape. But it was more than just this great leap in outright performance, it was the remarkable overall balance and sweet rideability of the Hayabusa that set it apart. During the press presentation in Spain prior to testing, the public-relations backhoe was running full-steam, and we skeptical journalists all leaned back in our chairs and scoffed when Suzuki said, “The Hayabusa has invented a new category called ‘Ultimate Sport.’” After riding for two days, we were all discussing the merits of this new Ultimate Sport class the Hayabusa had invented.

At the time, the Honda CBR1100XX was the most recent bike in the road-burner class, and it was lovely, smooth, and quite fast, but it was no contest in our June 1999 comparison test with the ‘Busa. Kawasaki tried to strike back with the 2000 ZX-12R and later with the ZX-14, but these fell on each side of the Hayabusa in spirit and never equaled it in performance. The 12R was harder and less comfortable, like a giant sportbike. The 14 felt heavy and soft, early models truly a fright on the racetrack. The Hayabusa had comfort and competence on the road with tractable power and refinement, and also remarkable agility and speed at the racetrack.

In the years since, every possible thing has been done with a Hayabusa, both in Gen 1 form and the 2008 to current 1,340cc version. You want 500 hp or more? Just make a few calls and the parts will arrive. Rad Greaves cut a Gen 1 model in half to shorten the wheelbase and added wings long before MotoGP ever screwed with it, and raced the bike in AMA Formula Xtreme. I tested one of Greaves’ cut-in-half bikes at Willow Springs International Raceway, and it was the first bike that ever made me wonder if my affairs were in order.

The Cycle World 1999 Hayabusa ran a 9.86-second, 146 mph quarter-mile—face-meltingly fast for the time and still among the best we’ve ever recorded. It also did 194 mph for the old CW Stalker radar gun, which we are going to bronze and hang on the wall in our office because no bike that gun has recorded before or since will ever go so fast. Yes, the ‘Busa remains the fastest production top speed we have ever recorded, and its overriding competence in crushing air like this led to the 2000 “gentleman’s agreement” among manufacturers to voluntarily limit top speed to 300 kph, or 186 mph, so that governments wouldn’t intervene. A record attained, then preserved.

Too beautiful to live and too rare to die? OK, I think we can all agree the ‘Busa isn’t pretty. And, boy, were we confused by its looks when it debuted at the Cologne Show like some copper-colored cosmic suppository. What I will say now is: We just didn’t know that this is what the world’s fastest production motorcycle was supposed to look like. Could it look any other way than how it does?

Not long after I finished my First Ride report for Cycle News, where I worked when the bike was launched, I was hired at Cycle World, just in time to take on the Hayabusa as my long-term testbike. There were many great adventures in that 12,000 miles of testing, not least of which was leaving work on a Friday afternoon at about 4 p.m. to crush LA rush hour, and then Mach-speed my way to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, a 521-mile jaunt up Interstate 5. Like a good citizen who wanted to spend the weekend ripping laps at a two-day Jason Pridmore Star School and not in jail, I mostly obeyed the speed limit, and it took me eight hours. If only I’d been able to use the Hayabusa as intended, I might have done it in four hours, at an easy 160 mph, with gas stops.

Which brings up this important point: The only flaw with the Hayabusa wasn’t in the bike. It was that the bike was born into a world with laws. Its broad, deep, dense competence deserved a world without puny man-made limitations like traffic lights and speed limits. For two beautiful days in Spain, we rode like newly born gods searching for the end of sixth gear on freeways, dragged fairings while hitting 165 mph or more, lap after lap, on one of the greatest racetracks in the world, going faster and doing more than with any other production bike ever made. In a career of rare experiences, this pure moment in time allowed a weird bubble of impunity to descend upon us at that press launch, and we got to experience to the fullest extent what this remarkable motorcycle actually meant.

As much as Suzuki’s soul gets its divine light from the GSX-R, the Hayabusa is where engineering put supernatural powers, with lights and a license plate, in our hands. We never envisioned the aftermarket industry it would spawn and how fast so many could go, or how beautiful it was to ride this bike at “normal” speeds, knowing at any moment you could sample a kind of freedom never experienced by mortals.

View attachment 1630911View attachment 1630912
.......AMEN!

And in the 22 years since, how much better/faster has anyone gone, including Suzuki?

The Cycle World 1999 Hayabusa ran a 9.86-second, 146 mph quarter-mile.
I saw a list where the ZX14R, H2, Ducati Desmosedici RR are faster with the ZX10R, Ducati 1098R, BMW HP4, are on the heels of the Hayabusa with mere seconds separating trap times.

However, for a bike that has only had one major (kind of) change in 22 yrs, the Hayabusa is doing pretty well in my opinion. It's slowly sliding off the top of the hill though.

Still the best machine out there!
Don't get me wrong, I love my bike but I'm a realist...there is a bike for all purposes, I would wager over half or more of all the members on this forum no longer own a Hayabusa and have moved onto other platforms.

The goal of Suzuki was to make the Hayabusa a street dominating bike in stock form...something which is no longer valid.

If Suzuki doesn't deliver a decent gen 3, the Hayabusa will disappear eventually just like many good bikes before it.

I saw a list where the ZX14R, H2, Ducati Desmosedici RR are faster with the ZX10R, Ducati 1098R, BMW HP4, are on the heels of the Hayabusa with mere seconds separating trap times.

However, for a bike that has only had one major (kind of) change in 22 yrs, the Hayabusa is doing pretty well in my opinion. It's slowly sliding off the top of the hill though.

It certainly can’t be “seconds”. My 948cc Kawasaki is not even that slow, turning the quarter in the mid 11s pure stock. Hell, my 40 year old CBX was that ’slow’ :laugh: . Until a bike runs in the low 8s from the factory, IMO, no huge strides have been made as far as ‘quick’ is concerned. All those bikes mentioned may have a slight edge but not a big enough edge to bother me.

It certainly can’t be “seconds”. My 948cc Kawasaki is not even that slow, turning the quarter in the mid 11s pure stock. Hell, my 40 year old CBX was that ’slow’ :laugh: . Until a bike runs in the low 8s from the factory, IMO, no huge strides have been made as far as ‘quick’ is concerned. All those bikes mentioned may have a slight edge but not a big enough edge to bother me.
Right....not seconds...I was face-timing with the grand-daughter while typing...even the 1/4 time by the Hayabusa is not a huge jump forward from some bikes before it-I guess kind of like it being compared to bikes now.

I think a stock ZX14R runs the 1/4 in 9.3 consistently from what I read and the H2 is right behind it. A ZX12R in 2000 ran it in 9.8 so not that far behind.

Personally, I could care less how fast the bike goes honestly....I am just happy to be able to own one.

When I was hunting for one, I came across lots of ZX14Rs just begging to be brought home but they all had one problem in common...they weren't a Hayabusa.

Its highly unlikely a stock bike from anybody is ever going to run low 8s. Perhaps electric bikes one day as technology advances. A low 8 bike from the factory would have to violate all kinds of rules and regulations while having a top gun rider on it to make it happen. An aftermarket tuner bike manufacturer might be able to produce a limited number for a price but it would mostly be a focused drag race bike and not really at home on the street like a Busa is. My old ZX-11 ran an 11.28 at 128 with me on it and with gear I probably weighed about 220 lbs. I can't imagine what a low 8 would be like except to say... hanging on for dear life and hoping it doesn't flip a 100 yards out as the torque load spikes into the run that is under way. I think we all pretty much agree here... The Busa does a lot more than its competitors based on overall ride ability and performance. A ZX-10 riders first words were after he rode mine was... "this bike is a Cadillac compared to my ZX-10". I replied as I got off of his bike... "yeah... I know".

Great copy and paste then lol

Its a good write up, whoever wrote it!

Mark Hoyer, Editor in Chief of Cycle World magazine wrote the piece. His only mistake was saying that the Hayabusa “wasn’t pretty”. I never thought anyone would think I was a journalist for Cycle News and Cycle World but apparently someone felt the need to inform the readers that I wasn’t actually Mr. Hoyer. Or, maybe he thought my intent was to deceive the members despite the article having several references to motorcycle magazines and professional test rides including the crazy thought that Suzuki Inc actually gave me a copper 99 for a 12,000 mile test ride. In any event, let’s all give our thanks to mathewrussel5 for that most valuable bit of information, to wit: “He didn’t write it”..... :thumbsup: :confused:

Last edited:
Back