Wet weather tires?

rdx4me

Registered
First: I did search and man those threads are old! Technology changes at a rapid pace so I thought I'd try and find out what the latest is.

Need to replace the front tire and am looking for something really good in wet weather with decent mileage. Rainy season is coming and the roads are all flat here in NW Florida.

The roads up here you mainly have to worry about deer or someone in a car wanting to share lanes with you (and then pretending they didn't see you as they are talking on their cell, putting on make-up or reading a book on the way to work! :banghead:)

Last edited:
Dunlop Raod smart's... they get great traction in the rain, and they have a dual compound for mileage, but also grad the curves AWSOME.... good tire not to expensive either...

Thanks CBX!

A guy at work has an R1 and was saying something about a Dual Compound tires.

How is the mileage on these? Any problems running one of these on the front with a stock Busa tire on the rear?

Rear tire is literally brand new but the front needs replacing.

Thanks again!

I also ran Continetal Road attacks it also has a dual compound, i ran 8k before i had to change it, sweet lookin tread to. I drive a 100 miles total aday and im still breakin in the dunlops but i love the grip they get on the curves. The first pic is the Dunlops(sorry only one i had close enough to see), the second is of the continentals.

DSCN3599.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg

I am a (Dulop 208) man, But the (Shinko 005,s) were on sale so I bought them and they handle very well.:thumbsup:

Avon Storms are GREAT in the wet and dry...high mileage tire too :thumbsup:

av56.jpg

Avon Storms are GREAT in the wet and dry...high mileage tire too :thumbsup:

I'm hopeful this is true. Just had a set mounted by my stealership for 60 bucks.. whata joke. They told me to be careful on them because they have a tendancy to be really squirly and thats to be expected on a cheap set of tires. I said really, so you would say the BTO15s' are a better tire? Told me most definately. Then asked him why are the BTO15s' 40 bucks cheaper? Had that dear in the headlight look. <<Whata Putz.
I picked up a set for under 300 dollars w/ free shipping over at motorcycle-superstore.com. Haven't rode on them yet, but from what I've researched, riders are getting amazing mileage on them. All depends on your riding style from what I've researched. I'm more of a highway commuter type and burned through a set of Pirelles' in less than 3k miles. Mismatching front and rear isn't a good idea from what I understand. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful this is true. Just had a set mounted by my stealership for 60 bucks.. whata joke. They told me to be careful on them because they have a tendancy to be really squirly and thats to be expected on a cheap set of tires. I said really, so you would say the BTO15s' are a better tire? Told me most definately. Then asked him why are the BTO15s' 40 bucks cheaper? Had that dear in the headlight look. <<Whata Putz.
I picked up a set for under 300 dollars w/ free shipping over at motorcycle-superstore.com. Haven't rode on them yet, but from what I've researched, riders are getting amazing mileage on them. All depends on your riding style from what I've researched. I'm more of a highway commuter type and burned through a set of Pirelles' in less than 3k miles. Mismatching front and rear isn't a good idea from what I understand. Good luck.

Good choice...you will like those tires :thumbsup:

Good choice...you will like those tires :thumbsup:

Thanks... Was really on the fence between the BTO15s' and the AVONS. They got the set right now for 277.00 delivered. If I only waited another week, thought they would go up due to spring right around the corner...:laugh:

tire1.JPG

tire2.JPG

They spoke the truth! However, for your particular needs the Storms will probably serve you better. Storms are great tire with long life, just not a performance oriented tire.

This is the tire I would highly recommend. You want confidence in the wet? Try it. You want high mileage? You got it.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Another vote for the Avons here! :thumbsup:I have rode them in the rain twice and once being a thunderstorm. They felt totally planted the entire time. Could not be happier.

They spoke the truth! However, for your particular needs the Storms will probably serve you better. Storms are great tire with long life, just not a performance oriented tire.

Yeah, it just burnt me up that they said they were a "cheap" tire. On a side note then, mismatching an AVON front tire with another rear "performance type" tire would definately not be a good idea. The stealership fitted me with just a rear Pirelle and left the front stock.. Man..talk about some major tracking problems. Felt like the rear was wanting to eat up every part of a lean and the front did'nt know what was going on, lagged majorly. Very scary.

You will like them they are a great tire 2nd set and never had a problem .
The dealer should hsve told you take it easy for the first 100 miles.Tires are a matter of preference in feedback.Don't get me wrong there are some under par tires out there but most brand names are on the cutting edge of technology.ie)Idon't like Dunlaps but they make high quality tires.You will be happy wiyh the Avons.

Back