Wet oil filter still good?

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
I was planning on an oil change today so I put the oil and filter right outside the back door last night... As you can imagine we had torrential thunderstorms and the bag was filled with water... My question is... Is the filter still good after it dries out or should I just get another one?

all the filters I got for the busa had plastic covering the hole, did you take that off?

Yup... still has the plastic on it. But this thing was in around 4 to 5 inches of water... Gonna stick a cue tip up there tomorrow if it is even a little damp I am gonna chuck it. Thanks for the opinions.
E

There is a Paper Element in the Filter. If Water gets to it then it's TOAST..................................Throw it Away. If you install it, the Weakened Paper (Because of the Water) will Disenegrate and get trapped in your Oil Pick Up Screen or Tube. Thus FRYING Your Motor. $11.99 at the Dealer.............TRUST ME. I am an Expert :thumbsup:

$12 for a new filter and peace of mind
$2k-3k new motor because you used the other one

IMO just buy a new one.

if you can't pour water out of it then it didn't get enough in it to worry..turn it over on some paper towels and see if anything comes out. They do drain. If getting them wet destroyed them, they wouldn't last an hour with motor oil pumping through it.

Just found two more in my garage... along with a crap load of oil... I must buy this stuff and put it away and completley forget about it... Thanks for the advice.
E

Back