Wet methanol system and direct port injection

zerotact

Registered
I have been looking into putting gas to my '06 and had some questions...

My Idea :

Use ECU editor to control the nitrous solenoid and an air shifter
Machine ( or drill and tap ) to inject nitrous right into the intake runner on the head
Install a complete second fuel system to pump methanol in with the nitrous mixed at the fogger nozzle right into the head

I haven't seen anyone doing this, is there a good reason? I know there's no need to re-invent the wheel, but I assume people don't go to this extreme because of the labor involved and not having acess to a full machine shop. I like to overdue things...

This seems like a good way to run a nitrous motor at a very high compression ratio safely. Alchohol is good for detonation, and the latent heat of vaporization and the huge amount of extra fuel required for methanol along with the N2O would keep the inlet charge real cold. Here is the challenge you might run into though. Methanol needs around 5 or 5.5:1 A/F, and if you are going to inject it with a fogger, you will need one with a design that sprays much more fuel. I don't know if they make an alcohol fogger. The second problem is tuning. Many widebands (like my Innovate LM1) don't read down in the 5:1 range, and because you are running a mixture of gas and alcohol, I would have no idea what to tune for. ?? Last, of course is the problems everyone has with alcohol is massive corrosion to everything it touches, and washdown of the cylinder and dilution of the engine oil. You might end up changing your oil every event. Major pain. Let us know how you make out.
Tom.

Yea, It seemed like a practical way to keep the top end from burning up. But all in all it might cost too much for the un thought of things than just going with a traditional system. I was just trying to build rarely used on demand power withough having to redo the stock fuel system... etc.. But there are readily available meth.nitrous foggers... I even remember seeing a jet size tuning chart for meth. fuel jet vs. n20 jet... You'd probably have to tune the motor on gas, then run the meth on the rich side... IIRC most alky tuners just watch EGTs to gauge weather they are too rich or not...

Suprisingly, Ive found an article of Mopar Muscle that did this in about '96.. They rented a neon and pushed it till it blew up. Used " Heat " which is just methanol to richen up the n20 system... They plumbed it using the washer fluid tank, and pump....

IMAG0482.jpg

Realistic amounts of methanol will not cause corrosion. The speed of the air at the points you will be injecting will move most if not all of the fluid out of the piping. Methanol will be easier to tune that fuel because it has a wider sweet spot. A wideband will not have to go down to 5:1 unless you are running methanol as a main fuel, and even then stoich is stoich Mount a tank, find a pump that can handle deadheading (aquamist old and new can, most of the aquatecs for sale by water meth companies can, or you can buy a shurflo and install an aqumist head on it, or talk to Richard a aquamist about it. His older race pumps were run with a high speed valve, but the pump can only flow about 300cc/min. You should be looking at 2-3x the flow over gasoline. Meth will also keep you from having to lower timing. There are several discusssions about this, and it is usually filled with people who haven't done it saying it won't work, those that have done it saying it does, with some in that group saying it was more trouble than it was worth. If I find an LS1 cheaper than a TDI when I get back, I will try it with an aquatec recirculation pump, and a progressive or on/off switch, just make sure that you have the pump activate a few milliseconds before the spray starts so that you have full pressure.

Gixxer1300, what meth nozzles and solenoids are those?

Back