West Coast Maxton???

SGVridgerunner

Registered
Hey guys,

My wife/Busa are going to appear in Super StreetBike magazine (shameless plug). When my wife was being interviewed over the phone, they asked about the landspeed decals on the bike. She told them about us and SCTA and El Mirage. Then he said that they sponsor a landspeed race every year too.
wtf.gif
Something like a standing mile or so. I guess they've been doing it for a couple of years, with minimal turnout?

I'm going to look futher into this (probably call him back and talk to him directly), but has anybody else heard of this out here? Sounds interesting even if it's not for points.

Yes, Aaron helped getting the mag to sponsor the event at Maxton in N.C. Even after he left the mag they still sponsored the next years event as well. Less coverage though. I'm still hoping the sponsor this years event but the mag hasn't been playing it up much. I think it's difficult for them to really boost the turn out. It does boost about an additional 25% of attendees to the event. Some problems is that it's not much of a spectater sport. Unless you get some vendors into the event and maybe have a local bike night at smithfields laurenburg you're not going to genarate alot of spectators.

Hot Rod mag sponsors the opening event at Maxton and there's always a ton of cars. They do a car night on the Friday before the event and there's always alot of people there. At the event though it's again not a high turn out for spectaters.

If you could add some cctv cameras at the start line, the half mile, the finish line, and another one wandering around and have some screens to see it all then you could make it more interesting for the spectaters.

As it stands right now, if you're at the start line you can watch them leave and then listen as they dissapear from site. If some one has a walkie talkie then you can hear what his speed was. That's all the input you get from the start line.

If you sit in the bleachers at the finish line then you'll hear on the PA if it's a car or bike making a run and their reg. number. You'll hear them as they approach before you can see them and then blast by the finish line. You'll hear on the PA what the speed was and then that's it.

To play things up you would need an announcer that really plays things up a bit and some way of visualy seeing the entire run. Then have an editor pause the vehicle crossing the finish and display they're speed. You could give some states too to show what the class record is, and show if they're speed increased or decreased from their previous run.

Alot of things could be "jazed up" more but I think it comes down to budget.

I think the mag could do a little more promoting maybe by highlighting a few riders, they're bike, and some background in the june or july issue. You have to get people interested in the riders and the event. You have to play it up more to get more interest.

The first event had alot of playup in the mag and the turn out was pretty big. Alot of riders were humbled though by the mile. It's tough going out there the first time. You're not sure of how everything flows logisticaly and then when you do make a run and your speed is 160-180mph on your busa while others with more lsr seat time are running >200mph makes it tough to want to compete.

It would be great if the mag would visit someone at their home to really see what the prep process is like. I know for myself and others it's always the same kind of prep. You plan, you schedule your time, go over some strategies, set your goals for the event, and then always end up thrashing like mad for the entire week prior to the event. Then you get everything loaded up and leave your home at some crazy hours with little sleep. Race, race, race... thrash some more on your bike or call it a day, meet other fellow racers to eat/chat/drink. Colapse in your bedand get up at the crack of dawn the next morning to go race some more. In the end you always have a great time, exhausted you pack everything up and on your ride back home evaluate what goals you meet or didn't meet and begin to plan for the next event.

I think showing the readers some of the prep and personalities of the people may generate more interest. It's one thing to read about so and so was the fastest. It's another to know why and how so and so got to be the fastest. Even if the background is on a guy who isn't th fastest but puts his time into his prep and runs well is a good story too.

Back