Went to look at a Sportster today

i admit i'm no harley expert. but there is someone on here with a new 11 model that has some orange color mixed in. it had a shield and bags and i recall it looked VERY nice.

that is one Harley i'd add to my garage

??? 70hp? :poke: more like 45hp-52hp!

no way in heck a stock 883 or even a 1200 is pushin more than high 50's in hp.:rulez:

??? 70hp? :poke: more like 45hp-52hp!

no way in heck a stock 883 or even a 1200 is pushin more than high 50's in hp.:rulez:
That certainly would have been true of the older Sportys, but the new 1200 engine is putting down close to 70 RWHP. Air cleaner, pipes and tune gets you into the low-mid 70s, cam will get you near 80. I'll compare that to my 1989 sporty which has mongo investment in the engine and she peaked at 89 hp, just couldn't pop her over 90 hp.

The stock 1200 sportster with the shorter/ standard fork plus with longer/ better rear shocks would be quite a fun ride. Thats basically what the new (and poorly selling) XL model does. No sport bike rush, but still a lot of fun.

Sportster motors do have some potential. This was my 99 buell (the only good thing a sporty motor had ever been in) and it was a fast bike. I put about 4gs into the motor (im sure ill catch some slack for that) And i was pushing almost 115-120 hp. The bike handled like a dream but the motor pulled in every gear. Dont get me wrong I love my busa, but this bike is fun to ride!

1250 big bore kit with Keith Black drag pistons
Thunderstorm heads
High rise cams
Full race exhaust
Ignition
Aftermarket plugs and wires
Forcewinder air intake
Mikuni flat side card (jetted)
Rims
Custom Paint

2010-11-13 11.48.17.jpg

don't get me wrong, the sporty is a good bike. wouldn't mind getting my wife one. the V-rod on the other hand, feels way more "sporty" than a Sportster. i liked the feel of the V-rod. :thumbsup:
a sporty would be fun to ride wheelies on too. :whistle:

don't get me wrong, the sporty is a good bike. wouldn't mind getting my wife one. the V-rod on the other hand, feels way more "sporty" than a Sportster. i liked the feel of the V-rod. :thumbsup:
a sporty would be fun to ride wheelies on too. :whistle:
I have never ridden a V-rod (but want to!). They put out 'only' about 120 hp, which would be good if the thing didn't weigh so much. I also really hate the feet forward riding position. We installed the "standard" footpeg kit on my wife's Sportster 1200 Custom which comes with the forward pegs standard. The only thing I can say for feet-forward riding is that it makes the small Sportster more liveable for tall people, but it sucks for really controlling the bike. And it plays h@ll on this old man's spine. :laugh:

So a mower and a Harley drive into a bar...

Bah...I'm just kiddin'...the Harley was pushed. :laugh:
Now that's pretty funny. :laugh:

Fwiw, at the shop i worked at back in my college days, we once had a "sort of" mechanic that we all called "dumb Bob." Behind his back, anyway. Pretty good looking guy, but thick as a brick. I think the boss hired him out of pity, and some loyalty to bob's brother, a friend of the shop's owner. Bob only got to work on the few non Jap bikes we serviced, and then only with adult supervision. No one ever trusted him to do anything requiring finesse.

Dumb Bob rode an old POS Sportster, about mid-60's vintage, which made it an old POS because it wasn't yet a classic. Bob didn't have two nickels to rub together, but he would get the best looking girls to ride on the back of that Sportster. Ok, they weren't that bright either, but they were all pretty, and probably good at things other than conversation. Bob's Harley had a solo seat. Those girls would ride on the luggage rack of Bob's POS Sportster.

That's when I knew I needed to own a Harley some day.

Now I'm married and it doesn't matter. Plus my wife has the Harley. What does she know about motorcycles? :rofl:

Back