Went to get bike inspected??

knippie

Registered
Took my bike to get inspected today and left her at the dealership only to get a call before I was even back to work that she failed her annual exam!!!! Now I am not sure about other states but NY is a pain about inspections. They said her rear tire was alittle to smooth. Now how often am I supposed replace this thing(its been 5 years and 6000 mile). :laugh: The dealer wanted my left arm to replace the tire(not happening). So I ordered a new one that will be here in 2 days and then it will be installed and then I can face inspection again!!!

Tires have wear bars molded into the grooves. Look for those to be flush with the surface. Then it's time. Depending on how you ride, the types of roads, commute, etc, tires wear differently for different people. I will typically flat spot my tires in the center because I commute 60 miles a day on my bike so the center wears out first. People who ride mostly on twisty roads tend to wear their tires more evenly. Take a look at a new one, and you will be surprised at how little rubber is between you and the road.

The type of tire has a huge effect on wear. Sticky track/street tires wear quickly and touring tires take longer. Multi compound tires try to extend tire life.

After a while you will find some favorites and get to know when it's time for a new one. Mine is Michelin Pilot Road 3 otherwise known as PR3s. they have decent life and work well for my style of riding.

Do some searches on tires and you will find a ton of information on this site.

6000 miles out of a tire is good for a Hayabusa. It's fairly heavy with lot's a' torque, rough on the rear tire!!!

We are supposed to get bikes inspected here in VA too. Thankfully you don't have to show proof of inspection to get registered. :D

Wow. I live in Communist Kalifornia. No inspections here. On anything. Just commercial trucks. Older, independent = +++ chance of getting inspected.

Inspections are nothing more than an additional tax on motorists. Glad they don't have state inspections here in New Mexico.

My mom lives in PA. On a visit I took her car for a ride and noticed it was not right. The front tires had the steel belts showing due to bad ball joints. The car had just been inspected the week prior. I visited the inspection station and gave the owner a piece of my mind and reported him to the state DOT.

In Germany, the TUF inspections are brutal. They take driving serious over there for good reason. I'd gladly support a system like that here.

I use to take mine to the Harley/Yamaha dealer.

Then found out our Toyota dealer who does the car and truck, does the bikes for $14 a pop, while I sit in the waiting room sipping coffee and watching TV.

Down here if your pre 2000 then every 6months otherwise 12 months price around $30,

They check stuff like wheel/steering/swingarm bearings, brake performance and pad/disc wear, indicators,brakelights and controls,headlight alignment etc, chain and sprocket condition and tyres, take note of KMs and check frame number.
If you don't have a current WOF (warrant of fitness) you cannot register your vehicle, interestingly if you had a crash and didn't have WOF/REG you are still covered insurance wise unless said vehicle had obvious fault eg bald tyres.

Inspections are nothing more than an additional tax on motorists. Glad they don't have state inspections here in New Mexico.

My mom lives in PA. On a visit I took her car for a ride and noticed it was not right. The front tires had the steel belts showing due to bad ball joints. The car had just been inspected the week prior. I visited the inspection station and gave the owner a piece of my mind and reported him to the state DOT.

In Germany, the TUF inspections are brutal. They take driving serious over there for good reason. I'd gladly support a system like that here.
No thanks, we have enough jack boots around here as it is. Sounds like a plane ticket might be in order.
Gary

Hmmm dont have this problem, i just went to the shop, and grabbed the book of stickers, and all my bikes passed!

Back