~~went for a plasma~~

(brendanp @ Sep. 15 2006,04:16) LCD rocks over plasma period!
OH..I forgot! Dish guy was telling me about a customer who had a plasma fall off the wall and shatter. Told me know one would touch it and you have to call a Hazmat team for cleanup. Had the suits and masks on too! Roped off the house and was a big tado event.

Didn't say but I'm sure it wasn't a cheap cleanup!

runeight...

bowdown.gif

(300Busa @ Sep. 14 2006,23:22) I have one made by samsung. Plays movies awesome on my 51" at a true 1080p. Mine came with the HDMI cable. Cost about $140 at Target if I remember right.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying you bought a DVD player for $140 that plays 1080p? You need a high-def DVD player to achieve 1080p and the cheapest those run is $500. You also would need to purchase HD-DVDs encoded in 1080p. Alternatively, you would have to get a Blu-ray DVD player($1000.00) and Blu-ray DVDs to view 1080p.
You probably have an upconversion DVD player, those produce "near hi-def resolution", somewhere between 480p and 720p, but not true hi-def

(brendanp @ Sep. 15 2006,04:16) LCD rocks over plasma period!
actually plasma is better for picture quality than lcd but you have to be careful of burning images into the screen most new plasmas now have an option to get rid of the burnt in images but takes like 2 hours

nice set i picked up the 32 inch sammy lcd and just love it works great for the computer monitor to and xbox360 kicks a$$

(Slayer @ Sep. 20 2006,17:08)
(300Busa @ Sep. 14 2006,23:22) I have one made by samsung. Plays movies awesome on my 51" at a true 1080p. Mine came with the HDMI cable. Cost about $140 at Target if I remember right.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying you bought a DVD player for $140 that plays 1080p? You need a high-def DVD player to achieve 1080p and the cheapest those run is $500. You also would need to purchase HD-DVDs encoded in 1080p. Alternatively, you would have to get a Blu-ray DVD player($1000.00) and Blu-ray DVDs to view 1080p.
You probably have an upconversion DVD player, those produce "near hi-def resolution", somewhere between 480p and 720p, but not true hi-def
right. he's upscaling. mine does that and although I was a skeptic to the idea, upscaled regular DVDs look pretty dang nice. I see more intricagte detail on regular DVDs upscaled than I have ever seen before on my plasma. although HD and BLuray disks are sweet [when they are not glitching and rebooting] I am gonna hold off on that since the upscaling works so well. Why pay $40 a disk when the same movie sells fir $7 on dvd and still looks great?

I choose plasma over LCD because it looked sharper and clearer with better contrast - but it is STILL not as good contrast as my glass tube
sad.gif

Plasma sucks until you spend roughly $5000. like the pioneer. I sell sony ,LG , Yamaha , Runco, Pioneer, panasonic, JVC to many to name. Right now my favorite is the LG 42" LCD now under $2000. ($2300 w/ 160G DVR) That T.V. Is truly wicked. Personally I bought the Epson 57" 3-chip LCD Rear PRO. Love the T.V. Too bad they quit making it. And by the way there is no such thing as a 1080p camera so any 1080p source is just taking a video shot with a 1080i source and just up scaling it. And most "1080p" t.v.'s are not 1080p native resolution. They are actually 720 chips running at 540p and then "wobulated" (overlapped) to give the impression of 1080p. Good smoke and mirrors.

(spkerhed @ Sep. 14 2006,19:21) I bought the 42 LG lcd just for a computer monitor picture is super now you need to buy a dvd player that up scales to hd  LG has one for about $130 bucks I orderd 2 but havent got them yet
honestly a yamaha DVD like the DVD-c6860 through component video Looks better than the LG w/ HDMI. by the way I can get you either soon. And I agree with you the 42" LG LCD is fricking sweet. MY favorite in my store now.

(DrBoom @ Sep. 20 2006,22:31) Plasma sucks until you spend roughly $5000. like the pioneer. I sell sony ,LG , Yamaha , Runco, Pioneer, panasonic, JVC to many to name. Right now my favorite is the LG 42" LCD now under $2000. ($2300 w/ 160G DVR) That T.V. Is truly wicked. Personally I bought the Epson 57" 3-chip LCD Rear PRO. Love the T.V. Too bad they quit making it. And by the way there is no such thing as a 1080p camera so any 1080p source is just taking a video shot with a 1080i source and just up scaling it. And most "1080p" t.v.'s are not 1080p native resolution. They are actually 720 chips running at 540p and then "wobulated" (overlapped) to give the impression of 1080p. Good smoke and mirrors.
I theeenk the Zenith I bought is really an LG rebranded. Do you know if that is right? My Zenith plaz was about 3k and looked noticable better than the Sony's and some others on display. I don't think it sucks at all, and was bolder/cleared than the LCDs I saw but I also needed 50+ inches. The hazmat thing has me worried now though.
biggrin.gif

(WWJD @ Sep. 21 2006,08:24) I theeenk the Zenith I bought is really an LG rebranded.  Do you know if that is right?  
that is right LG owns the zenith name and our rep says that name brand will be going away soon (kinda sucks cause zenith was the shitt when I was a kid, neighbor had one that was curved to fit in a corner it was bad to the bone for a console tv)

How about you say screw it and get a high quality LCD Projector. Simple, plenty of inputs from Computer to HD, and you can have a screen bigger than ANYTHING on the market today, depending on room size.

Last a long time as well.

(Revlis @ Sep. 21 2006,08:56) How about you say screw it and get a high quality LCD Projector. Simple, plenty of inputs from Computer to HD, and you can have a screen bigger than ANYTHING on the market today, depending on room size.

Last a long time as well.
those are really nice, but I traded mine in for plaz because the concept of a "White" screen showing "black" bothered me too much. IE a screen is white but for it to show black, ALL ambient light must be removed from premesis or else it reflected as white [gray?] and that bothered me for no logical reasoning. and the RAINBOWING sucked.

Incedentally, I have a Optomoa EXPRO 739 for sale if anyone wants one. Nice, just not for me. I had, on say a 12 foot TV/movie screen on my wall for a while... and Video games? Nothing compares!

Back