went down a few weeks ago.

FTMFW

Registered
compared to most of these stories, mines not even really worth posting, but if someone learns from MY mistakes, then it was worth doing.

was saturday night 3-4 weeks ago. went for a ride up to the local drive-in, about a 45 minute highway ride. was sticky and humid, didnt wear any gear, i almost always do, and have been much better about it since.

long story short, weather came in 6-7 hours early, and came in hard. we started getting calls about storms rolling from the west (i live south east of that location) so we split up. i got on the highway, and was clipping along trying to stay ahead of the storm, but it was no use. i was stuck in the middle of it. came on hard and fast. i slowed to about 50, hazards on (which i hate when people do that, but being i have the blackout integrated taillight, i felt it was warranted). i couldnt take anymore abuse, it felt like paintballs were hitting me everywhere, and i was soaked to the bone. i came up to the next underpass available to wait it out, and thats where it went bad. instead of coming in in the proper gear, i coasted in in 5th. my glasses were so dirty and foggy i couldnt see very well. as i got as far over to the right as i was going to, the tire went out from under me, about 10-14 mph. upon closer inspection the gutter wasnt just damp, but was under about 1.5" of mud. a 003 shinko and mud dont get along. bike ground to a halt, as did i. the only damage to me was light rash on my right forearm and my leg twisted up a bit. the bike was a tad bit worse. right side t-miester is all ground up, brake lever end is ground up, frame slider (which helped immensly minimize damage) is chewed up, top of the right fairing, bottom rear of the nose is chipped up, MPS quick-access clutch cover needs to be re-powdercoated, carbon fiber vinyl on rear of right side fairing took damage, and the brocks street smart can is rashed up.

all in all it was a cheap lesson. got caught two weeks later in full gear, and made it home safe. wet, but safe. no thanks to the ***** at the tollbooth who yelled at us for stopping in a closed lane to decide if we should press on or wait it out at the oasis. thanks, lady, thanks for maintaining safety out there.

FRAME SLIDERS HELP.

GEAR HELPS.

RIDE SAFE.

Glad it wasn't too bad. I hate the rain. If I get stuck in it I press on carefully until i can safely stop.

Glad your alright. I got caught in the rain, so I took it easy, but the amount of cars who tailgated me waiting to get past was silly.

that's why i never stop in the rain!:rulez: more folks wipe out trying to stop than if they had just used their entire lane and rode it out.
sorry for you dinger buddy. even if you dont wear it, always have leather. and don't stop for the rain, stop Before the rain!:laugh:

i always wear my gear now,didnt before,,,and with weather i cut a hole in the bottom inside piece to the hump and store a full rain suit inside,never caught without weather protection..

First off , Glad you are okay . If you have Shinko tires be very careful in the rain . I use them and they will hydro on you since there is nowhere for the water to go . Glad you are ok . Get a set of Frog Toggs and put them in your hump , they are waterproof and take up the space of your fist .

Back