Went down 50 yards from dealership....

I think you were smitten by the Gen 2 monster power as compounded by "audience wrist' , I hate it when that happens. Thanks for maning up with the story & reminding us how quickly a surprise traction loss can pile us up...C mode anyone:laugh:. Ride safe.

I am going to the dealer to get a custom 'L' mode installed. I hear you go down to 1 cylinder, running on 2 valves, they replace your rear 190 with a wheel barrow tire and put on a set of training wheels.

Having worked sales at a motorcycle dealership I have seen many new riders do some sidewalk surfing within eye shot of the dealer. I've seen guys drive new their new ATV through the back of pickups, even seen boats and jetski trailers backup into cars and trees. While I can't say I never chuckled, I can say I didn't wish harm on someone.

Some times bad luck just happens. Sorry to hear you got hurt and it cost you so much.

Last edited:
No one is immune to a get off, sorry it happened at all. The new busa and gear adds insult to injury. As long as you heal up 100%, the rest does not matter.. :thumbsup:

+1; couldn't have been better said. :beerchug:

You're a big man for admitting it. :bowdown:

Sorry to hear, at least you are here to tell about it.

Sorry to hear, but glad it was not worse.

It happens. I remember years ago a buddy of mine who wrecked his new 600 turning into his sub division on his way home from the dealership.

Slightly off topic... I am going to be doing the upper faring tonight... Has anyone done one on a gen 2? I hear everything bolts off in one piece (guages and all) and it is just a matter of disconnecting a few molex connectors. This would be ideal so I could take the skin off it loose from the bike. Any advice would be appreciated as the threads on this particular job are pretty vague on here.

Nice write-up,terriable story line,sorry to hear!
The new tire story is an often heard one,not just on new bikes,but it is a worst case senario, with pride of new ownership involved:moon:
I am always on pins /needles when heading out the first time.This after as much prior prep that I can do.
I looped my mustang leaving the service station once with(seriously) no added throttle.It was over before I knew what happened.Can never be to careful ,even then you never know :beerchug: heres to many better riding days in your future:beerchug:

First off great thread. It is really good to hear someone totally honest about the cool stories we tell everyone as to why we got hurt... (by the way thanks for chasing the terrorists riding moose...leave it to them to screw up the Great Northwest!!!!) I am really sorry about the bike and your injuries...

Secondly I hope you heal up fast and are still able to ski! Hang tough!

if it makes you feel any better, go find those son-of-a-bi@@@ rocks and throw them!!!
bottle up that adrenaline and sell it to some crack head...glad your better now....i rode 22 years accident free then had 2 in my 23rd summer....be carefull

givinr, you must have peeked at my worst nightmare and put it into words. The last time I was down was in 1965, and it was in front of my buddies, and after a six-pack of Hamms. I try to think I have gotten smarter over the years; but, I know things can and do happen. I hope you are better soon.

Glad to hear that you are ok. Just remember there are two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who are going down. I have not been down ( knock on wood) thank God.

That just sucks in too many ways. Everything hurts, mind, body and bike. All will heal but friends just won't let this go. Hope you heal quickly!

No flaming here, and sorry you buggered your new stuff, and anybody that has ben riding for long has probably done the same thing, maybe not exactly but definatly equaly dip**** like, and if they say they have not, ether they don.t ride or they are lying

WOW! Great story, except for the whole injury to the bike and self part. Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, the story of your get-off will never go away. If they are true friends, and men, they will always remember. ALWAYS. Be prepared to hear about this fateful day for the rest of their lives. Good luck with the health and bringing her back to all her glory.

:rofl: it almost sounds like what me friends think about me gittin a busa (16 hr countdown). ive "went down" on every bike ive ever owned. 29 and counting. some ive wiped out on 5 and 6 times a day rodeoin. im a firm believer in crash guards. bid ugly bike protection. once u-bolted a 2 1/2 ',1" bar across the front of a bike. ended up being a good pivot point when i went down ridein wheelies in the snow. bike spun down the sidewalk like a top. didnt hurt me or the bike..wait....ouch my pride!:beerchug: heal fast brother Moose Chaser. and remember, scars are cool, and bikes are fun to work on!

Last edited:
Back