Well, i finally did it

So when i first got this bike i looked in the trunk and didnt notice a rod to hold the tank up. Are new busas supposed to have one from the factory? Also wondering if the dealerships cleaned your chains before handing you the bike. Mine still had the chain grease when i got it, stuff slung everywhere. My rear stand is on its last leg and no spools to boot. Longest time ever to clean and wax chain lol.

Some dealerships may assemble the bike but many dealerships in America use an assembly service and likely do not touch anything on the bike. I got my bike 2nd hand and the chain was far too loose. It seems like a lottery. A guy making minimum wage at an assembly service and a guy making minimum wage on bike setup at a dealership do not care at all about your bike. They merely do not want to get whipped by their manager for not opening enough crates per hour. They also want to charge you big $$$ for the first service where they finally adjust the chain properly! The automotive technician industry is seriously broken so do not spent too many minutes contemplating the quality of the output.

The tank prop now shows as optional on the tank parts diagram, while it did not show such in prior years. I can only guess it originally came with bikes but now only if explicitly ordered (?)

Some dealerships may assemble the bike but many dealerships in America use an assembly service and likely do not touch anything on the bike. I got my bike 2nd hand and the chain was far too loose. It seems like a lottery. A guy making minimum wage at an assembly service and a guy making minimum wage on bike setup at a dealership do not care at all about your bike. They merely do not want to get whipped by their manager for not opening enough crates per hour. They also want to charge you big $$$ for the first service where they finally adjust the chain properly! The automotive technician industry is seriously broken so do not spent too many minutes contemplating the quality of the output.

The tank prop now shows as optional on the tank parts diagram, while it did not show such in prior years. I can only guess it originally came with bikes but now only if explicitly ordered (?)

I've never bought a new bike but know many who have...maybe it is just our local dealership but their bikes are delivered to them perfectly as the shop takes great pride in their work.

In today's social media controlled world, a dealership wouldn't be around long if they mess with customers.

I personally wouldn't accept a bike until after I've inspected it-that chain adjustment would be picked up then and adjusted or the bike would stay there if it were me.

maybe it is just our local dealership but their bikes are delivered to them perfectly as the shop takes great pride in their work.

They exist, we have some, but anyone with a close dealership of knowledgeable, proud techs is nothing short of lucky.

In today's social media controlled world, a dealership wouldn't be around long if they mess with customers.

We are captive to dealers for the new vehicle sales, so their reputation has always been immaterial. This is just one news event but it does represent what is going on in our entire market:

Note the comments from automotive students as well as the salary chart. Where is the proud, knowledgeable problem solver going? Other trades, or a 9-5 with health insurance in a mfg facility. This applies to bike dealerships just the same, they merely do not get attention like the car industry does.

This is not just from personal anecdotes. I have had extensive conversations with a regional tech, the guy who gets the call to fix a "mysterious electrical problem" in 1 hour that dealership techs could not solve in several weeks with lots of part swaps. According to him the knowledgeable dealership tech, at least in the US, is fundamentally on their way out. What will be left are many who "need a job", and those are people that nobody wants to touch their vehicles.

Congrats:beerchug:
Man I love that red!
I've contemplated pricing a 2020 tank and all the plastics off a Suzuki parts sight to change mine up once in awhile but I fear the price shock will cause me cardiac arrest.
Also kicking around picking up a gen 1 since I've never owned one and painting it that color:thumbsup:

They exist, we have some, but anyone with a close dealership of knowledgeable, proud techs is nothing short of lucky.

We are captive to dealers for the new vehicle sales, so their reputation has always been immaterial. This is just one news event but it does represent what is going on in our entire market:

Note the comments from automotive students as well as the salary chart. Where is the proud, knowledgeable problem solver going? Other trades, or a 9-5 with health insurance in a mfg facility. This applies to bike dealerships just the same, they merely do not get attention like the car industry does.

This is not just from personal anecdotes. I have had extensive conversations with a regional tech, the guy who gets the call to fix a "mysterious electrical problem" in 1 hour that dealership techs could not solve in several weeks with lots of part swaps. According to him the knowledgeable dealership tech, at least in the US, is fundamentally on their way out. What will be left are many who "need a job", and those are people that nobody wants to touch their vehicles.

Our local dealership no longer sells Suzuki bikes but they really love it when I come in with my Hayabusa...they all love this bike, even the HD mechanics say it's a cool bike...

There are very few Hayabusas in this area and my bike is one of a kind anywhere-which I like.

Awesome!
So the other ones in your barn are project bikes?
This one gonna stay stock or ...??
They started as projects and thought i had them sorted. Both bikes run but need some tlc. I had the harley running but recently started running bad again. I think it may have bad gas, injector(s), or fuel pump. I will be selling the gen 1.

I understand what you mean. The place i bought from is a fairly small place. It just bothers me that they say they have to charge me fees for set up and not remove the grease from the chain. I went into the service department to get a price on an oil change because im honestly too scared to scratch it. It seemed to bother him but he may have been busy. He told me to look on the floor and get the price on oil and filter and said they charge 30 mins for labor. Keep in mind this is the day im picking up the bike after purchasing. I feel there should have been a little more intiative to help a new customer. I will be bringing it to a local well known mechanic that has better customer service.

I called and they told me the bikes dont come with them so you are correct. I have a tank rod on my gen 1 i could use but i will be selling it with the bike when the time comes. Ive thought about trying to make one with carbon but may get an oem.

Qi

I dont have any experience with dealerships as far as repair or service work. Ive been fortunate with vehicles as ive only had to change minor parts. I do know good techs are few and far between.

Ive had jobs that didnt require much skill but had to join big companies for the pay and benifits.

Ive read stories about people taking their bikes to dealerships and getting the run around so the few times ive brought my bike in its been to an indy shop. It was at his place for awhile and he told me je was having trouble and was basically swapping parts. May not be by the book but he did fix my problem and never felt like he was giving me the run around. He has been in business for many years and relies on good business as its his only source of revenue.

Congrats:beerchug:
Man I love that red!
I've contemplated pricing a 2020 tank and all the plastics off a Suzuki parts sight to change mine up once in awhile but I fear the price shock will cause me cardiac arrest.
Also kicking around picking up a gen 1 since I've never owned one and painting it that color:thumbsup:

Sticker shock for sure! Ive heard oem prices for oem fairings are astronomical. I think a gen 1 would look superb in thed 2020 red. Ive seen it on the web and when i seen it in person i was blown away.

Last edited:
Well? How about a ride report? Better than the Gen 1? Different? Worth it? Buyer's remorse? And more pics, please.
So far im loving the ride. Compared to my tired gen 1 its a night and day difference. I went with a smaller profile front tire to try to combat tire to turbo clearance issue. The rear is a 180 or 190/55 tire lowered 2in in the rear. The bike has a nice stance and sits just about level. After riding that set up for 7 years and going to a new gen 2 some rider recalibration was neccisary. The new bike feels more stable and flickable. I toyed around with the power modes a bit but keep it in default mode most of the time. I have put 600 miles or so on it and havent got passed the 1000 mile break in so i havent been able to take it to red line. My gen 1 is turbo so its apples to oranges sort of. The responsiveness is crazy to me, it seems to pull good at any rpm.

I think its totally worth it, no buyers remorse. I was looking at a few other bikes but a busa is the total package for me. It took me some time to come around on the looks though but the red sold me. Only thing i dont like look wise is the silver rearsets, whos idea was that anyway? To this day i think the gen 1 is the best looking bike ive ever seen. With the 2020 in the garage i find eyeing the gen 1.

Back