Well everyone..Lesson learned.

adamnflorida

Registered
Do NOT leave your gun in the console of your vehicle.

Found out today that my truck had been broken into and my gun was gone. Thursday morning, when i got in my truck to go to work, i noticed my passenger seat had been reclined.. I didnt think anything of it, thinking maybe i reached in on that side to get something and my pocket or something hit the recline button and i didnt notice it, or that my fiancee messed with it or something. But everything was still there, my costa sunglasses, ipod, drill in the backseat, edge programmer etc.. Well, i rode my bike to work yesterday, but i drove the truck again today, and thats when i noticed that the gun was missing. WTF. The rear passenger door has the window trim loose and a mark on the door, which isnt that noticable, especially when u leave home at 5 am. What a sick feeling in my stomach..I tried to think of every possible scenario such as me taking the gun in the house or something, but it never leaves the truck or me. My fiancee looked everywhere at home to be sure, and it surely isnt there. Police report has been filed, now im debating if its cheaper to claim insurance or just buy another Glock 30S and fix the window molding..pretty sad day today :(

Sorry to hear this. Can't stand thieves or the thought of your gun being involved in a possible crime. Probably not worth making a claim as there are low limits for unsecured personal property in most states, although I don't actually know what the limit is in Florida. Good luck.

I had one stolen out of my glove compartment when I was having my tires changed and Sam's Club. When I took possession of the vehicle, I immediately contacted management and security. They reviewed their surveillance tapes and saw that the guy who changed my tires took "something" out of the glove compartment when he was moving my car out of the bay. It was his last job of the day and from there he went from my car to his truck and drove off. By the time they had reviewed the tapes he was long gone home. The cops were called. He reviewed the tape and agreed that that employee did in fact go into my glove compartment and remove "something".

The reporting officer said that it would be assigned to a detective. This process took days. By the time the detective called me, he said it is likely already gone or been sold. There was nothing they could do for me.

Insurance said it was not covered, because it happened in the care of another entity and was not technically in my possession from an insurance POV. Had the car been broken into on the street or on my property they would have covered it.

So I wrote off a $1200 GLOCK come tax time......yippee. Like that makes it all better.

*sigh*. Life is crappy sometimes.

$1200 Glock? Sounds like you got ripped off twice! :laugh: J/K.

Sucks about the stolen guns though, hope you had your Serial # written down. :down:

$1200 Glock? Sounds like you got ripped off twice! :laugh: J/K.

Sucks about the stolen guns though, hope you had your Serial # written down. :down:

It wasn't a standard GLOCK. Custom grips. Custom sites. Along with Laser site. Re-coil suppression. With 16 rounds of Defense ammo. And yes I gave them the serial number but they said it was likely already sold or traded for something else. I hope nobody gets killed in some drug deal etc with it. But I did my part. I still don't understand why they didn't make an arrest.

That was someone close to you partner that knew that gun was there. I don't ever leave stuff in my car and you dang sure can't leave things in sight or talk about what you have where anymore. Criminals are everywhere and justice is on a long vacation.

They should have at least entered those weapons in NCIC. In the past year I recovered a handgun stolen twelve years ago .

Bought a laptop two or three christmas's ago at best buy. Walked out to the car and placed it immediately in the trunk. Had to be an inside job. The contents of the bag were never visible. Drove a mile and went in to watch a movie. Parked directly in front of ticket booth, well lighted, deputy patrolling parking lot for holidays. Came out stepped in "crunch" glass. Drivers window gone. Interior pulled apart. Laptop in trunk. Idiot couldn't figure out how to release trunk. TY Mazda. Report done, lesson learned.

Why would you leave a gun in a car considering how many car thefts there are???

Because you carry it in the morning for self defense but can't carry or take it into work. I'm taking the risk of having one stolen.
Lets just hope they leave the Bug out Bag with the carbine, .22 and .357 in the trunk :laugh:

Adam sorry for your loss. What was her name? :)

The video, which I was never allowed to see, showed that he made a quick sweep of everything he could get into or gain access to. Its the same way they steal spare cash they find in consoles etc. It's quick, and they have it down so that nobody would ever see them "slowing down". It was completely my fault that I had forgotten about the firearm in there. Its like forgetting you have gum in your console or a garage door opener on your visor. It is just a routine you get into. I should have either removed and carried it into the store or simply left it at home that trip. I generally carry everywhere, but I was in shorts and a T-Shirt and at times I have made people nervous when they see a firearm being carried by someone.

So I wasn't thinking that day. That is all there is to it. Had too many other things I was doing while my tires were being done.

Had they stolen my truck, I would have been able to recover the loss of the truck and the contents.

I hope nobody gets killed in some drug deal etc with it. But I did my part..
I am a gun owner too and have my Texas CHL. You did not do your part. Nobody who leaves a handgun in an unattended vehicle has done their part. I understand people like you and Blanca won't like this, but anyone who leaves a gun in an unattended vehicle is potentially responsible for its future use after being stolen. Regrettably, you are not legally responsible, but you should be. Having a gun stolen from a gun safe in a home is regrettable. Having one stolen from the glove compartment of an unattended vehicle should be criminal.

I am a gun owner too and have my Texas CHL. You did not do your part. Nobody who leaves a handgun in an unattended vehicle has done their part. I understand people like you and Blanca won't like this, but anyone who leaves a gun in an unattended vehicle is potentially responsible for its future use after being stolen. Regrettably, you are not legally responsible, but you should be. Having a gun stolen from a gun safe in a home is regrettable. Having one stolen from the glove compartment of an unattended vehicle should be criminal.

Yeah OK. I am complying with every law I am supposed to. I have many reasons that I have to leave my gun in my vehicle. Albeit locked when I do. To somehow make me responsible for it being stolen...........your have your opinion.

Why in the blue "F" would you leave a firearm in your vehicle overnight? I can understand if it was a mistake as in you forgot it was in there but it sounds like you knew and expected it to be in there the next morning. What a perfect excuse for a common car burglar who has ambition to decide to go from a petty criminal to a armed robber or worse. If you dont have a CHL get one. If you cant get one you shouldnt have a gun in your rig. If you have one and you left your gun in your rig you have broken one of the cardinal sins for chl holders. Unfortunately you just allowed someone who has no regard for property or possibly people to run around with a deadly weapon. Bad news bro. I seriously hope nothing happens with that weapon.

I am guilty of leaving my ar15 in my trunk a few times, I have woke up in the middle of the night thinking I woke up and my trunk was open.

Tell that to the police. Every officer I know marked or not unit leaves weapons in their vehicle. Yeah ok so to be safe and make sure my console pistol doesn't get stolen out of my car I'm gonna go to and fro unarmed. I will and have already taken the risk into account and I will still take it with me and leave it in the car when I have to. I guess you've never had to go to court, the post office, a rock concert, nfl football game and any of a million other places where you couldn't carry it inside and left it in the car because you left it at home, right? Or you smuggled it thru metal detectors at the Buffet concert? Maybe you don't remember the Leva Thutty Thutty in Granpas back window in the truck either? Criminal? Get real. Folks leave guns in their cars ALL the time.

sorry to hear your loss. I remember when I use to leave everything in my car in plain site, my phone and wallet. that all stopped the day I went into cvs for 5 minutes and came out to a smashed out driver window and my phone gone. now I take everything out of the car. lessed learned then

This same exact thing happened to my sister in-law. She was at the other sisters to see the newborn. To make it worse my brother in-law is a cop and his cruiser is always in front of the house. He was on duty and people must have been going door to door jimmying doors. (She left it in the car so that the kids would not get a hold of it in case they rifled through her things

I'm in the same boat at work though. I don't go out unarmed but work says not so it stays in the console. I park right outside of my office door though so at least I could hear my alarm.

Could be the almost worst feeling....feel for you man.
Where i live you can have a loaded hand gun on the dash...but don't dare leave it in the parking garage even under the seat. loaded or unloaded makes no diff.

So sorry man. Can you file charges on the guy that took it? Seems to me if you have a vid of him taking it you could take some kind of action against him. The store should be accountable as well. It was in their care when it was stolen. They have to have ins. for such things. Might be worth looking into. I hate Dam thieves. They should cut his hand off. Keep us posted.

So sorry man. Can you file charges on the guy that took it? Seems to me if you have a vid of him taking it you could take some kind of action against him. The store should be accountable as well. It was in their care when it was stolen. They have to have ins. for such things. Might be worth looking into. I hate Dam thieves. They should cut his hand off. Keep us posted.

The Vid never showed enough detail to show it as being a gun. The detective said that unless that gun showed up somewhere else, the video was not enough to arrest on. Both the store security and the police said they knew it had to be the gun, because I reported it and the video confirmed that my vehicle was the one he was in and took "something". To be honest I think they just didn't feel like it was worth the effort. They had no gun, he denied taking it, and the video wasn't able to show the gun specifically. Any decent defense attorney would have gotten him off.

Back