Welders? Anybody make their living burning metal? I've got some questions.

By the way, generations of my family (and yours) built this Country on their backs, and although many give credit to the financiers, developers, architects, and engineers, I'm always amazed at the talent of the men and women who actually BUILD our environment from endless rolls of drawings and piles of word-filled paper :bowdown:

Last edited:
I have an idea for the fiberglass particles from the grinding discs....use a respirator. I worked in a machine/welding shop for 2 years and almost always wore a paper mask when I was grinding. Sometimes a cartridge style filter is appropriate. PPE (personal protective equipment) is key to leading a long and healthy life.

I have an idea for the fiberglass particles from the grinding discs....use a respirator. I worked in a machine/welding shop for 2 years and almost always wore a paper mask when I was grinding. Sometimes a cartridge style filter is appropriate. PPE (personal protective equipment) is key to leading a long and healthy life.

Sounds like a Safety Manager. :rofl:

Certified welder as well.
Learned through the hall.
Best bet would be take a class like you said and get some home setups to practice with like others mentioned.

ive graduated with a diploma in welding, can do almost all metals all positions, and all most all forms, if you love it then go for it, its too much fun to beat and bang and make stuff,
ive learned that in order to make money and not be in a union its all about location, and what skills you have and know matter how much i learned in school ive learned 100x more in a shop and having hands on experience from leaning from the "old timers"

good luck

Pipefighter, Stalker05, I appreciate it.

I grew up in a machine shop, Dad was a prototype machinist and I frequently found myself deburring, sweeping, grit blasting, polishing, cutting etc.

Combined with the Art side and all the raising, forming, piercing, stone setting, enameling, soldering, forging, etc, etc, I think welding will either be something I freaking love to do for a living and find it rewarding, OR welding will just be something I learn and enjoy doing on my own for my own projects.

I've got a strong urge to build stuff though.

OH and yeah BFA... Bad F'ning Attitude :whistle: Spend a few months unemployed or delivering Pizza after you've graduated with your Bachelors of Fine Art, and you learn the true meaning of BFA. :thumbsup: Though it did take me quite a ways, I want to do something more.

I dunno, I find myself envious when I see the folks out there in the world building homes, buildings, heavy equipment, etc... Must be a terrific sense of satisfaction to actually DO SOMETHING real, tangible.

Back