Welded Clutch Mod Broke NEED HELP

FireMedic

Registered
Gen 1

Had some motor work done by a reputable builder and welding up clutch was part of the deal. Stock clutch, 4 HD clutch springs with OEM Stack. I've been fighting clutch issues since bike got on dyno. The tuner went for the first nitrous pull and after pull shut down the bike telling me I need HD springs. Put 4 HD springs in and clutch has been good for a few rides.

About a week ago after riding about an hour I bike felt like it lost power and clutch started slipping worse then ever in all gears. I babied the bike home and talked the guy who tuned the bike. I was told to try and throw an extra steel plate in the middle of stack (2.06 stack height/it was at 1.98".)

I figured the "weld piece" would be in oil pan but it is not. I removed clutch cover and oil pan with out seeing any metal piece. I/m not sure when it this happened. Looking for some advice on what to do next or what might be going on.

Any help appreciated

IMG_4821.jpg

To be honest here, i dont think the piece will be found, im not even sure how i would even get out of the basket. While you have been running the bike.

I/m no mechanic and I am smarter enough to know my limits and stop at oil pan and clutch cover. I thought about removing the clutch hub nut and torque limiter but don't want to get in over my head. The builder and the guy who did tune said it is probably in oil pan. Just don't want to mess up newly built motor.

I'd be on the phone with the "builder" asking him where he learned to weld and letting him know he's responsible for any damage that's been done due to his sh*tty welds breaking. I've seen better welds in a high school shop class

Well a few things to say . First its never a great idea to weld up parts that are/have been coated/seasoned with oil . It can be done , but with billet baskets , and clutch hubs on the market at a very fair prices why weld it up ? 2nd you can blame the engine builder , but with any big engine / Race engine there is no warranty . The motor in my avatar belongs to Dorey racing that has 7000 in parts . There was no warranty when it left my shop .
3rd you will want to find that piece as it can damage your crank gear , or any other gear it comes into contact with .

FYI you got to pay to play . Nitrous use while fun tears stuff up .

This project has truly been a nightmare and refuse to deal with builder anymore. 2007 Busa with 9600 miles and 2nd gear went out so I brought the bike to get tranny repaired and undercut all the gears.
Figured while motor is open I can do some upgrades:

Dyno - 203hp motor w/pump gas
Headwork
Cams
Valve/springs
Manual can tensioner & HD cam chain
Direct port dry nos setup 50
Air shifter
Data logger
Tranny repair
12" over arm
-500 miles on new motor, haven't got to used nos or shifter

On the ride home after losing power it shifted funny and I had to easy it up to speed or clutch would slip. before this I was having clutch slip issues but thought it was solved after putting a few HD springs in. I guess I'll check filter and attempt to take clutch apart for first time. Any advice or things NOT to do please let me know

Taking you clutch apart is not that big of a deal. Just take your time and pay attention to how it comes apart.

I'd be on the phone with the "builder" asking him where he learned to weld and letting him know he's responsible for any damage that's been done due to his sh*tty welds breaking. I've seen better welds in a high school shop class
I totally agree. His weld didnt just break, but actually came off. Thats even worse, since it never even penetrated enough to weld.

I think the Carpenter clutch ring that holds the 2 together is really a good thing. I deal with MPS and those folks quite a bit. Before I bought my billet basket, I asked if they would weld mine. They said they pretty much quit welding them and just use the ring. Even the guy down the street who they were taking it to said he liked the ring better than welding it. And I am not one to pump vendors when stuff can be done yourself. But if it really is a better solution, why take a chance on the weld.

Back