Welcome to the IBA !

The list is huge ,but short for Hayabusa's . There is a guy on Face book who built a custom 2nd fuel tank in the tail section on a Gen 2 . Not sure if he really does big miles or if its more for remote locations . Also has a Pelican case mounted as a top case ( medium size maybe 25 to 30 liters )

I just read this sad news on the MTF, 89,000 miles just as an Iron Butt Rider.

IBR legendary rider Tom Loftus passed away this morning after a lengthy battle with cancer. For those that don't follow the Iron Butt Rally, Tom had achieved 7 IBR Finishes in 10 attempts and ridden over 89,000 miles in the IBR. He had ridden all over the world literally and was one of the most knowledgeable and likeable riders you would ever meet.
Sad to see this! I’ve been doing some reading on IBA and ADVrider websites for the last few years, because I keep drileaming about ridding to NY to visit my family and trying to get an I A certification out of it. Looks like he lived a good life doing what he loved.

The list is huge ,but short for Hayabusa's . There is a guy on Face book who built a custom 2nd fuel tank in the tail section on a Gen 2 . Not sure if he really does big miles or if its more for remote locations . Also has a Pelican case mounted as a top case ( medium size maybe 25 to 30 liters )

There is a member here that used to be very active on the forum and was experienced on IBA rides on his gen2 with his custom fuel cell on the back. Screen name is something like “warchild” I believe, but when I used the search bar and typed his name on the member box, nothing comes up.
EDIT: found his thread about the auxiliary tank:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/endurance-k8.84605/

Last edited:
Bryan I joked about this before but I seriously think this should be prorated. It certainly is more of a challenge to do 1000 miles on a Busa (or more extreme example your dual bike first attempt) than a Gold Wing so is it fair to count it as the same mile for mile?
Or does this come under the logic of no elephants or peanuts so this isn't a fair? ;<)

Bill the bird ( Ram Jam) is nicknamed a BusaWing from a friend. The comfort is better than any bike I've ever owned.
The Fjr1300 only had wind protection on the bird. I did have to ride through 600 miles rain on day one of the 1170 run. Temps were low 50's. It reminded me of a navy seal training video where they are all in the 50 degree water sitting down while the waves brake on them for hours. That is how the first 600 miles felt.

... ride through 600 miles rain ...

To "rationalize" buying a second bike (Busa), I sold my SUV. (wife has sedan) My brother in NY bought the SUV. To get the SUV to him and save shipping, I drove it to NY. For me to get back to MO, I put my cruiser on a hitch carrier.

At that point I had never ridden more than 3 hours straight, so I was excited about the return trip home on my cruiser. From my brothers to my home is just over 1K miles. It's 1036 miles door to door; no fuel or rest stops. The time frame for entire trip (2K miles) was 3 days. Start Thursday night 10 PM, arrive in NY Friday night 8 PM. (sleep, shave, & shower) The return leg would start Saturday at about 2 PM, arriving home in MO by 4 PM Sunday.

Trip went according to plan, rain (~400 miles) and sore butt did slow me down on the turn trip. It was my first (so for - only) overnight trip on a motorcycle. It took some time getting comfortable and adjusting. though after 15 hours my butt became sore. (next time gel cushion or gel seat)

Two things I came to appreciate from that experience; rain x and highway begs. I packed rain x for my windscreen and visor; my cruiser didn't have highway pegs. :confused: Passed my personal test, I can ride for 20 before sleep.

Had I known about IBA and how to document trip for certificate, I would be a certified member. For now I'm content being a "sore butt brother."

Later this year I will be a certified member; Haya's In the Hills is this July.

Sooner if someone has a trip planned and would like someone to ride with !!

Reactions: c10
Yeah i was in a nascar state of mind when I was fueling up. Gas up quick look over of the bike and snap a pic of receipt next to odometer. Helmet never came off unless I had to run in and use the rest room. Every other stop is grab a water and chug it down before i got back to my bike

Found a rally this July !!

There will be multiple rides July 24 - 27. Certified IBA routes !!!

• Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in less than 24 hours)
  • Bun Burner 1500 ( 1500 miles in less than 36 hours)
  • Bun Burner 1500 Gold ( 1500 miles in less than 24 hours)
  • Saddle Sore 2000 ( 2000 miles in less than 48 hours)
  • Saddle Sore 2000 Gold (2000 miles in less than 36 hours)
  • Trifecta (3- 1000 mile in state Saddle Sore 1000’s thru West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio)
  • 24 hour Extreme A-Z Rally 26 stops in 24 hours. This ride will also count as an Extreme In-State Ohio SSK.
Start/End location: Econo Lodge 87 Jenkins Lane Triadelphia, WV

OK, who's in ?!!

Sorry for this unusual question.

If a rider completes a Saddle Sore 2000 Gold (2000 miles in 36 hours), does the rider also get certification for the following:

Sorry for this unusual question.

If a rider completes a Saddle Sore 2000 Gold (2000 miles in 36 hours), does the rider also get certification for the following:

I believe you can but the documentation has to be spot on and you have to pay the fee for each one to get it recognized.

Back