Welcome to america

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA Press 1 for English. Press 2 to disconnect until you learn to speak English. And remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLIDER. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I saw it on FB too. I was gonna use it, but I was too busy trying to get my free t-shirt for adding a group and inviting all my friends, doing the latest hit on mafia wars, feeding my animals on farmville, plantying trees on farmtown, joining a prayer group for little mikey whos 3 years old and dying, catching up on the status of my 1200 friends, sending ihearts, sending smileys, going through the new posts in the 598 groups I belong to, and finding time to message my 30 friends that were online about nothing.

Okay, actually I didnt use it because of the part about jesus....but the first explanation was funnier.

hate to burst your bubble......there is no national language.

please feel free to write your congressman, and have him sponsor a bill......

but until then "press 1 for english" rants are both silly and pointless.....

seems our founding fathers in thier infinate wisdom,did not see a need for a national language, or state sponsored religion....

i love my constitution..

i love my constitution..

It doesn't mandate a national language because that's a state issue. Each state has every right to adopt on official language, and if and when that happens, I expect Texas to be on the cutting edge. I don't see how this is not a valid argument though...one state, one country, is best served with a unifying language.

Canadians are just canacrazeee with their French/English. :whistle:

It doesn't mandate a national language because that's a state issue. Each state has every right to adopt on official language, and if and when that happens, I expect Texas to be on the cutting edge. I don't see how this is not a valid argument though...one state, one country, is best served with a unifying language.

Sadly, if Texas does it, it might not be english. or at least not JUST english.

if its a state issue...doesn't that by defination exclude any national language.?

either way, the genuis that gave you your right to own guns, and protest the government...also realized that a national language was not very important.

freedom, to speak english or not speak it.

it always amazes me those so worried about the gov. taking thier freedom and civil liberties, don't mind passing laws to take aways "other" peoples freedoms and liberties.

if its a state issue...doesn't that by defination exclude any national language.?
The Constitution is a limiting document, it does not grant the Federal Government the power to create a national language, so by default, it prohibits it. [1]

either way, the genuis that gave you your right to own guns, and protest the government...also realized that a national language was not very important.
The right to a proper education isn't in the Constitution either, but every state has made it mandatory and today it stands as a right bestowed by every state. The absence of an issue in the Constitution simply means that the right is reserved to the state or the people in cases of private rights.

it always amazes me those so worried about the gov. taking thier freedom and civil liberties, don't mind passing laws to take aways "other" peoples freedoms and liberties.
A national language, for all intensive purposes, does not prohibit foreign language, but instead mandates that government agencies utilize a single language. This tends to reinforce the education of English for all citizens should they wish to interact with the government.

The Constitution is a limiting document, it does not grant the Federal Government the power to create a national language, so by default, it prohibits it. [1]

The right to a proper education isn't in the Constitution either, but every state has made it mandatory and today it stands as a right bestowed by every state. The absence of an issue in the Constitution simply means that the right is reserved to the state or the people in cases of private rights.

The vast majority of instances where you have to select a language are in the commercial world where it is done to attract market share. People who speak a different language can not purchase your goods and services if they don't know what you are selling. So it is a market driven innovation to have a selection of different languages. Capitalism right?

The vast majority of instances where you have to select a language are in the commercial world where it is done to attract market share. People who speak a different language can not purchase your goods and services if they don't know what you are selling. So it is a market driven innovation to have a selection of different languages. Capitalism right?

No doubt, I agree. I have even considered marketing to Spanish speakers. But I will never make my English speakers jump through hoops to speak their native language. At the very worst I would do one of those rapid speech greetings that asks Spanish speakers to press one.

However, mandating a government language preference would force many to learn the language. As it stands today, our government enables ignorance of the English language.

No doubt, I agree. I have even considered marketing to Spanish speakers. But I will never make my English speakers jump through hoops to speak their native language. At the very worst I would do one of those rapid speech greetings that asks Spanish speakers to press one.

However, mandating a government language preference would force many to learn the language. As it stands today, our government enables ignorance of the English language.

didn't you just argue that the constitution does not allow the gov. to mandate a national language??

and wouldn't excluding people based on thier language be a another form of discrimination?

so in essence:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof as long as it is english; or abridging the freedom of speech in english, or of the english speaking press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances in english.

the first ammendment should read like this?

Last edited:
How many LEGAL immigrants can't speak english well enough to communicate with americans? Granted, they may not be fluent, but they can at least communicate. I would imagine, not NEARLY as many as the number of ILLEGAL immigrants who can't adequately communicate. Enough said.

Back