Weird sound

Mojo

-------------
Donating Member
Registered
08 Busa, 1100 miles. When I start the bike in neutral and let out the clutch I hear this "sort of" humming sound?? Could even be considered a "very slight" grinding sound. When I pull the clutch lever, the sound stops. Any ideas what this could be?? Is this normal??

I have no mechanical knowlegde, just thought you could use the "bump".

post_77_29284_post_12_95132_post_whore.gif

I think that's normal, long as it's just "very slight". Things turning with no load will a lot of times make a little noise.

I wouldn't panic about a "very slight grinding" noise. If you do not feel a pulsing at the clutch lever, you are more than likely in the clear. If the grinding noise is prominent when you disengage the clutch (pull lever in) you may want to check your clutch hub bearing. If the noise is more of a "humming", you most likely are in the clear, as that is normal. Before I hit around 2K miles, I had a few noises that I monitored. After approximately 2K miles, everything quieted down as things broke in.

You may want to check your oil level, just to play it safe. While you are at it, be sure that the window in the clutch master cylinder looks good. Also, be certain that the clutch works as it should. If it drags, or slips, it will require attention.

Just don't panic, as you are most likely just hearing normal engine/transmission noises. It is however, a good thing that you are paying attention to your bike!

Ride safe, and enjoy it!

Thanks for the info guys!! I feel much better now. You would think coming off a big bore Harley that I would be used to strange noises.

Thanks for the info guys!! I feel much better now. You would think coming off a big bore Harley that I would be used to strange noises.
Different noises. ABSOLUTELY different noises.

If you want to hear something really cool, stick your head up near the intake ducts. Now that is one SWEET sound.

Since you are used to the H-D (Fuji) clutches, you will definitely be able to adjust to the feel of the 'Busa clutch. Even though it uses a hydraulic actuator, the throw and feel are about the same. One major difference, outside of the hydraulics, is the "slipper" aspect. If you are one of those guys that likes the sound of engine-braking on your Harley, You'll be heavily disappointed by the fact that your 'Busa has a slipper clutch. If you are into performance, you will LOVE it.

Have fun!

Mine started making the same noise a month ago. 2200 miles on her now. Is it possible that the clutch can slip or am i spinning the back tire going from 1st to 2nd gear? (after sittig in city traffic)

Back