Weird sound from engine

Shpetz

Registered
Video:

Started happening after a trackday. The mechanic thinks its something to do with the clutch but I want to get a second opinion before I drop the cash in to fixing this.

Can only hear it in neutral. As soon as I shift in to gear the sound goes away. I can sometimes hear it when I pull the clutch in though.

Bike rides and feels fine.
:huh:
Any Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell exactly with the speakers on my laptop(kinda muffled sound), but if that sound is only present with the clutch out/disengaged, then the clutch bolts could have backed out. They would be rubbing the inside of the clutch cover and causing the sound. Some of the earlier gen2's had that problem(no thread locker applied at factory).
You can remove the clutch cover without draining the oil, just leave the bike on it's kickstand. You would see the bolts backed out, and the grooves they have worn on the inside of the cover. Just add locktite and torque, done.
Is the bike not still under warranty? It looks like a 2015 model from what I can see of the color?

I can't tell exactly with the speakers on my laptop(kinda muffled sound), but if that sound is only present with the clutch out/disengaged, then the clutch bolts could have backed out. They would be rubbing the inside of the clutch cover and causing the sound. Some of the earlier gen2's had that problem(no thread locker applied at factory).
You can remove the clutch cover without draining the oil, just leave the bike on it's kickstand. You would see the bolts backed out, and the grooves they have worn on the inside of the cover. Just add locktite and torque, done.
Is the bike not still under warranty? It looks like a 2015 model from what I can see of the color?

Nah it's a 2010 model, so I have no warranty. I'll tell the mechanic that it might be the clutch bolts.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

I'd say clutch bolt(s), when did the fairing get damaged over the clutch cover ?

I'd say clutch bolt(s), when did the fairing get damaged over the clutch cover ?

Ah you're right. The fairings got damaged after I clipped a ripple strip at the trackday.

Now that I think about it, I noticed the sound as I was warming up for the session after the incident.

Back