Weird sound coming out of my rear wheel

bkbusa11

Registered
Hey, whats up? There is a grinding noise coming out of my back rim and im not sure what it is. I sounds kind of like rotors on a car but im not sure. It is making a grinding noise without me hiting the back break. Any ideas?

Should be pretty easy to tell what's going on if you have a rear stand. Just put the bike up and spin the tire by hand to see where the problem is. If you don't have a rear stand try removing and wire tying the caliper up out of the way and then push the bike around. Don't ride it like this. If the noise stops you know you have a brake problem like a warped rotor or a stuck caliper.

If the problem continues then you're probably looking at a bearing issue.

if it sounds like the brakes are grinding, maybe the brakes are grinding... :)

shine a light at the rotor, see if you can see a small rub were you might have metal on metal (going to be pretty narrow most likely)..

before you tear the thing apart, even if you do not see any contact, I would pull the rear brake caliper and inspect..

pull the pads etc.. the "rock" idea could be a good possible too.. at this point you can spin the rear wheels without the caliper on and see if the noise is there..

First.. did you check if your pads are beyond their life? If the brakes check out ok (nothing stuck in them etc), then my bet would be a wheel bearing.

Should be pretty easy to tell what's going on if you have a rear stand. Just put the bike up and spin the tire by hand to see where the problem is. If you don't have a rear stand try removing and wire tying the caliper up out of the way and then push the bike around. Don't ride it like this. If the noise stops you know you have a brake problem like a warped rotor or a stuck caliper.

If the problem continues then you're probably looking at a bearing issue.
And dont touch the rear brake pedal... you could potentially push the shoes and the pistons out, and then you're in for brake bleeding, not to mention a mess on the garage floor.
:banghead:

Back