Weird question

busa_boy_69

Registered
Since I have put the Full system on my bike I have done 2 services and noticed something funny on each of them. The Akrapovic Headers are VERY closely wrapped around the oil filter. I can get the wrench in between the header piping to loosen the filter and get it off but I can't get the filter OUT of the piping area. The only way I have got them in and out of that space is to disconnect the oil cooler line on the right side. Do you all do this to or am I just being too stupid and overlooking an easier way to get them in and out?

Wow.....4 hours on the ORG with 23 views and no one has a reply to this?
rock.gif
I am kinda shocked.

I disconnect the oil cooler line on the right side, and it works for me.
cool.gif

...sometimes ya just need somone to break the ice. The answers will start pouring in now.
laugh.gif

I have the HMF highmounts. I have to remove the oil cooler line. It's no big deal actually. An allen wrench and some elbow grease get's er' done.

The problem I have is that I can't use the oil filter wrenches, so removing the filter just about detroys it with the slip lock style. I've since used the rubber belt sryle wrenches, but those take a but of effort to get just right.

I have the HMF highmounts. I have to remove the oil cooler line. It's no big deal actually. An allen wrench and some elbow grease get's er' done.

The problem I have is that I can't use the oil filter wrenches, so removing the filter just about detroys it with the slip lock style. I've since used the rubber belt sryle wrenches, but those take a but of effort to get just right.
Use a K and N filter man. They have a thing on the end to use a regular wrench on. Makes it soooooo easy.

ha...i thought it was just my micron system
smile.gif
. have ta move the line and use a belt wrench... and it's still a tight fit.

I can't even use a K&N oil filter with my micron pipes...there is no clearence for the nut on the filter to clear the headders...so OEM filter for me.

I use a K&N filter with the nut on my full race Micron without any proplem at all.

Just remove right fairing, loosen with wrench, unscrew and replace, just that simple.

Did I do something wrong
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

I shave the end off nut on the K&N filter. Gives me that 1mm of clearance I need to get the filter started on the bolt. You have to be a bit more careful when tightening, because you will loose some of the stength in the nut. Shoot some black spray paint on the bare metal and away I go.

I have a full Muzzy - and rather than remove the oil cooler line, I *almost* remove the lower oil cooler bracket. I remove the bolt holding the bracket to the cooler, then remove ONE of the bolts holding the bracket to the motor, and finally just loosen the second bolt on the motor...the bracket will just pivot outta the way giving me enough room to remove the filter.

I chose to go this route rather than risking stripping the the bolt holes and having leaks on the cooler lines.

I use a K&N filter with the nut on my full race Micron without any proplem at all.

Just remove right fairing, loosen with wrench, unscrew and replace, just that simple.

Did I do something wrong
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
Hmmm...Is your Micron Sysytem the Older style system...meaning made pre 2002? Those Pre02 systems had smaller headers, and are the same systems that gave Micron a bad name for making HP with the BUsa. After 02 Micron changed their setup, and now make great sound and power...Headers are also bigger...so who knows...all I know is there is no possible way to use the K&N filter with my Micron setup.

Did I do something wrong
rock.gif

biggrin.gif
Hmmm...Is your Micron Sysytem the Older style system...meaning made pre 2002? Those Pre02 systems had smaller headers, and are the same systems that gave Micron a bad name for making HP with the BUsa. After 02 Micron changed their setup, and now make great sound and power...Headers are also bigger...so who knows...all I know is there is no possible way to use the K&N filter with my Micron setup.
Valium, the system is installed on my 03 busa, but was purchased and installed NEW in May of 04 so I would guess it's a new system, but who knows. I just know I have zero issues getting to and removing the filter. I mean, it's not like there's a football field or anything there, but I can easily unscrew the filter, slide out from behind the headers, and reinstall and tighten the new one. Very odd, I'm certaintly not complaining.

even with my stock exhaust i had problems since my hands are so damn big. i had the 600 mile service done at the dealer, doesnt look like they took the filter out... as it was extrememy tight like a first filter from the factory usually is. i disconnected the line and had to punch a screwdriver through there to give me some leverage to turn it... but yea, every other time i still have to disconnect the line. its not hard, 2 bolts lol.

Use a K and N filter man. They have a thing on the end to use a regular wrench on. Makes it soooooo easy.
That thing always strips off. It just isn't very good metal.

Still, the filters are good.

--Wag--

Yosh Tri-Oval full system and I don't have to move anything, my filter comes right out no prolbems. It surprises me that you guys have to.

Back