Weird Question...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hey oRg'sters,
I was wondering if there is anyone here who is involved in vehicle towing/motorcycle towing. I am thinking of getting into it at the local level, but I want to take with someone in the know who can tell me some of the requirements/ins and outs... anyone in the US have any info?

Thanks,
MCM

Here's a bike only company. https://haulbikes.com/ They have a pretty good website.

I've had a guy that bought a bike from me use USHIP. You create a request and shipping companies bid for the job. The guy that picked up the bike from me put it on a trailer that I wouldn't tow across town. Apparently he made it ok. The buyer was one that set it up and it arrived ok.

Are you state side now ? I can give you some tips on hauling as I use to do it cross country before U ship for a local motorcycle collector . Might be a better phone conversation .

BMW Motorcycle Owners Association has a list of qualified bike towing services. If you are interested in that let me know or go to bmwmoa.com

Let me clarify... I am possibly wanting to move bikes, professionally short distance towing/recovery, possibly customized transport. I don't want to ship bikes, I want to be the one moving them...

Are you state side now ? I can give you some tips on hauling as I use to do it cross country before U ship for a local motorcycle collector . Might be a better phone conversation .
Not yet, but I will be for a bit in a couple of weeks.

My friend's brother has had a rollback business for 10-15 years.
Typically picks up break downs and wrecks, doesn't do repo(I know a guy who does that too, no thanks).
Aside from a small business license, and some advertising, he contacted local police, county and state police.
Here, there are around 4-5 local guys who respond to crashes. The cops run a rotating list of rollback drivers. If you're next on the list, you get called for car wreck pick up. If you don't answer, or are unavailable, then they go to the next driver, and repeat.
You'll need somewhere to store vehicles too.
As an upstart business, depending on location, there may not be enough business to only transport from point A to B, unless you just want part time work.
Wrecks will sit on your property(fee paid by owner or insurance)until owner picks up, or insurance oks the move to shop or junkyard.
I don't see much of a market in only transporting bikes, and only locally.
You would be better off with a rollback service, which pays well(in time, after overhead is paid). And really, having part time help, as it's a 24/7 business, if you wanna make money.
Dangerous job too, as many rollback drivers are killed on the roadside every year.

Let me clarify... I am possibly wanting to move bikes, professionally short distance towing/recovery, possibly customized transport. I don't want to ship bikes, I want to be the one moving them...
Ok I thought you were asking what was required to do this from an equipment, logistics, etc. point of view. Sort of an eye into the business. I thought some of those guys might have that sort of info.

Certain bike brands do a lot of shipping. Get in with a dealer and you can move bikes for them. HD and BMW I know move bikes a lot from people buying on line to dealers swapping stock. I bought my bike from a dealer in Charlotte and they shipped it to me as a part of the deal. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

Rollback? Flatbed drivers?

Rollback, as in single axle straight truck, tilt flat bed, that you see pick up a single vehicle at a time.
Flatbed generally refers to flatbed tractor trailer. I've driven those, and they are a very expensive and difficult to get vehicles on/off with, as you need a dock or ramp.
The low boy flatbeds are easy to drive on, but again, expensive way to ship vehicles.
Motorcycle transport is obviously better in an enclosed trailer that a pickup truck or suv can tow. But again, not a big market for that unless you're willing to travel long distance.
Considering that you can ship a bike coast to coast for $500-$600, or less. If you can get 4 in a trailer, and have to take them 3k miles at 1 to 4 different stops, it took a week, fuel costs, plus wear and tear on your vehicle, it can be hard to make enough money to be worth the while.
With a local rollback service, you're talking average $50-$100, or more, per tow, in a pretty much non stop business.
That's where the money is, cars are always breaking down, and people are always crashing cars and bikes.

As said, local transport isn't big business.
Big carriers tend to pick that up, and dispatch can route the closest driver that can pick up and drop while on another longer distance run.
The guy with a pickup truck and trailer isn't making much profit.
The big trucking companies have the market cornered, as they are the only ones that can make a profit on $500-$600 freight, because of high volume.
I drove tractor trailers for several years, flatbed and van trailers, and know several owner operators.
The rule of thumb for a trucking business is that you need at least 10 trucks to make a nice profit. Consider the overhead, fuel costs, and that an average of $10k per truck is needed to be available at all and any times, for repairs.
So the rollback driver is the only guy making any real money, and with the least overhead.
Unless you can fall into some great deal making a dedicated local run for someone, which are few and far between, and usually cut throat on who will charge the least...which usually isn't the guy with one truck.
Good luck!

Back