Weird problem, need advice!

Bruno44052

Registered
Ok I just bought an 06, 8900miles all stock.
Trailered it home due to weather.
Ok, first rides went bad, ran like crap, it would miss like crazy, then clear up then come back.. No pattern at all!! Sometimes pulls to redline, sometimes breaks up like crazy..
The bike starts right up, and idles ok(sometimes misses at idle too), kind of low I think though.. Around 900rpms.
When the miss clears up, it pulls like crazy.. When it's cleared up..

So I called the dealer, he said no problem, they'd fix it..
So, I ride it back there a week later... (80 miles & 29 degrees outside)
They have it a few days, and call and say it's fixed, "needed plugs" they said..
I drove back out there today and got it, rode it home.. It ran absolutely perfect all the way home, and for a short while today..
I put maybe 150ish miles on it today.. Now, towards the end of the night, while driving in 35-45 mile zones, it started bucking slightly..
At first, didn't think much of it, but it slowly got worse.. By the end it was acting all most as bad as before they changed the plugs.. Only difference now is if you rev it up it clears out, but as soon as you go back to steady speeds, it starts missing again!!!

Any ideas???
All advice is welcome!!!!
I just hate to have to keep doing 160 mile round trips with it and another vehicle, to take it there and to go get it... Freaking gas prices are too high for that crap..

Oh, 1 more thing, the fast idle lever(choke I guess you can call it) you can move it almost halfway before any change in RPM occurs????

To me it just seems like it's loading up the plugs...

Please help!!!!!
Thank you in advance,
Bruno

pull the plugs for inspection. post pics if you can. im not 100% about the ecu's inputs, but if it was a car... poss coolant temp sensor. is it running rich? hows your fuel mileage?

Check plugs
Make sure all connections to airbox are complete!

how much fuel was in it when you got it and have you gone through that tank yet it could be bad fuel also does it have a power commander ? the map could be way off if its completely stock check your connection on your coil connections and after that pull the air box check and see if the inside of the throttle bodies looks clean.. slide a finger down there and see if it feels different than the top clean section you could have a buildup inside thats affecting the spray of fuel ..

Ok thanks guys I'll pull those plugs and post it up. And check the throttle bodies.
The bike is 100% stock.. Fuel mileage is about 40mpg.

Yeah pull the plugs and take pics. At 40mpg it doesn’t sound like you are running too rich. It could be the throttle bodies need to be cleaned and synced.

Curious if you had the chance to test ride the bike prior to purchase? Best of luck getting your bike fixed so you can start enjoying it.
P.S. Can't hurt to check the fuel filter also.

No didn't get a chance to, the weather was horrible..
I just wanna take a look at it myself, before riding back out to the freakin dealership again...
Maybe it's something stupid....

how much fuel was in it when you got it and have you gone through that tank yet it could be bad fuel also does it have a power commander ? the map could be way off if its completely stock check your connection on your coil connections and after that pull the air box check and see if the inside of the throttle bodies looks clean.. slide a finger down there and see if it feels different than the top clean section you could have a buildup inside thats affecting the spray of fuel ..

^^Yeah.. this is where I was heading too..

Good ideas so far, I think the plugs will tell your story

something else I thought of and your fuel filter would tell you something...does sound like you've put enough miles on it to go through a couple tanks of gas so does it only happen when the tank is low on fuel? Might check to make sure the inside of the tank is in good shape and no sediment getting stirred up.

there is a sensor under the bottom of the airbox, and should have a small hose hooked to it. be sure it's plugged up..

Low mile bike. My first thought was gas. Sounds like you've ran a tank through it. Might need to throw some seafoam in with the next fill up. When you pull the plugs and check all the vacuum and electrical connections on the airbox, check the air filter. Who knows Mr. Bug, Rat, or Bird if screens are missing might have left you something inside.

Sounds like the fast idle and idle need adjusting. Warm idle should be close to 1200. It's a long trip but the dealer would have to make this right.

If you been riding normal 40 MPG sux. Should be close to or 50 MPG.

I bought it on the 29th of February, and have put about 500 miles on it since.. Granted 160 was to the dealer and back again..
The inside of the fuel tank is very clean, one of the first things I checked when I first rode it and it ran bad. But still, I put fresh gas in it, and ran injector cleaner in that first tank.

Talked to the salesman at the dealership today, he said don't even worry about messing with it, just told me to bring it back and they'd take care of it.
The guy has been very nice. He said the mechanic working on it told him this morning that he kind of suspected it of having a bad coil(#1 cylinder), so,,, According to what I was told, their gonna put new coils on it. I just hope this time they fix it, nothing worse than buying a new toy, and can't play with it!!!

Thanks for all the advice!
Hopefully they'll get it fixed, if not,, I'll be tearing into it myself!

I'm having the exact same problem with my 05 if the coils sort it let me know my mechanics been through it and coils seem to be the issue. €450 for a new set. :-((

I'm having the exact same problem with my 05 if the coils sort it let me know my mechanics been through it and coils seem to be the issue. €450 for a new set. :-((
That's what they cost for motor vehicles as well.

Glad to hear they are working with you to take care of the issue. A lot of places would be trying to pass it off by now or getting more money out of you for some reason or other.

What have you done as far as the battery? If the bike sat for awhile, could be that. I've had mine buck like crazy and run poorly and it was just the battery going/being bad.

Back