Weird idle

TonezEnt

Registered
Ok so let me give you the lowdown. 2002 hayabusa 64k miles and the last guy treated this bike like crap. So far I have done the following.

Changed spark plugs to CR9's by NGK
Installed K&N air filter
Oil and filter change
Currently running a half bottle of sea foam

The problem:
After I get the bike started and idling at 1500 rpms I turn my handlebars to the left and the rpms go up to almost 3000 rpms. When I turn them back center the bike idles back to normal. Is this a problem in the fuel line like a kink or something?

Check the free play in your throttle cables, is that is ok check the routing of the throttle cables. Might be beneficial to find another GEN 1 to compare the routing to.

I recommend:
Based on the rise with the turning of the bars, check the fast ide cable routing and rig; cable is too tight because of one or both of those.
If the bike was treated like crap - check the TB Sync... if it is crazy, have the valves checked as well... the valves and snyc should have been checked/adjusted at least twice by now...

I can see the high bars possibly being an issue and you should check for cable length issues, but I have seen high risers put on before without presenting a problem...

What I have seen being an issue however is the incorrect routing of the throttle cable around the front gas tank mount. Here is where the cable can bind and cause your exact issue when turning the handlebars.
Take your front bolts out of the tank and lift. You might also need to loosen you air cleaner but take a look at how the cable goes through the routing wire that is bolted on with your air cleaner. If this routing piece is missing or if the cable is not in the correct place then the result is the issue you describe.

Edit: I see you have a Gen 1, I am speaking of a Gen II. Might be different, but I have seen this issue before on the later models

I was thinking risers as well. Check that fast idle cable. If you do have risers be careful moving the bike around in the garage. The front brakes might grab when you lock the steering left.

Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about I traced the line down to here. The line I circled in red is the one that is pulling taut when I turn my bars all the way to the left and it pulls on this.....throttle thingy.....that causes my rpms to go up. The cable seems really short even after dismounting the cable from the mount in the 2nd picture. I guess I would probably need a new line? This line is coming from the left handle bar mind you.

line problem 2.jpg

line problem 3.jpg

line problem 1.jpg

It looks like the end of the cable is getting hung up on the adjuster fitting. It looks like you have plenty of slack there and shouldn't be having this issue, but the end of the throttle cable should be INSIDE the adjuster and this picture appears that it is hung up on the edge. (It may just be the picture)...

Did you change any adjustments at the Starter Switch housing for this cable?

You should be idle at 1250, not 1500. Other than that I second the advice already given. You have a cable that is too tight.

It looks like the end of the cable is getting hung up on the adjuster fitting. It looks like you have plenty of slack there and shouldn't be having this issue, but the end of the throttle cable should be INSIDE the adjuster and this picture appears that it is hung up on the edge. (It may just be the picture)...

Haven't made any adjustments of any kind. Will make adjustments to correct this. Only problem that I have is that if i leave the handle bars straight I can barely move the choke. I thought I had problems with the bike starting and backfiring because I never had the choke on. However when I turn the handlebars to the right....I can use some choke....then the bike starts up fine....will be adjusting this cable soon. Thanks for the advice all

That cable looks failed to me. I'm not a mechanic ...... not sure if replacing it will fix the problem. PM gixerhp and or goldenchild and put the link for this thread in it and see what they say.

+1 That cable looks pulled apart at the end and could also possibly be fraying inside. I would take it out of the throttle body and check it over good, replace as needed.

That's NOT something you want to leave to chance!

I had one stick on me on another bike after getting TB's synced at a "reputable shop" back then and stuck open at 90mph with my wife on the back. I shut down the engine and drifted...fired her back up and stuck at 90mph again. Had to shut down and drift down the next exit ramp.

Don't take a chance on that cable and get caught off guard.

That cable does house itself properly when the handle bars are straight or turned to the right. When the handlebars are turned all the way to the left is when you see it the way it is in the photo

Looks like the steel cables are jammed / stuck inside the sleeve. Take them out, and add some WD40 or break cleaner, and free up the cables. Then add some liquid grease inside for proper movement.
Try this before you go out an spend any $$.

Mine does that a little too. Its a bit annoying. I plugged in my powercommander to the computer so that i could see what my real RPM was and I set it between 1050 and 1100. It fluctuates a bit which probably isn't the way its supposed to be but its not throwing any dealer codes.

It's not going to throw any codes if it's a mechanical throttle cable issue. The system thinks it's working properly.

If your RPM's increase 1500 just by turning the handle bars to the left it's going to be a binding cable. If we were sitting here at the table watching the outcome I'd put a $100 bill on it.

Unhook the cable at the throttle body and you'll most likely see the issue go away. If it does not then let us know so we can rule out other possible issues.

PS: Your cable is still not supposed to have that much play at the end of it. If you let it slip into the cable end where it's supposed to be you probably feel quite a bit of dead space in the throttle when you turn it.
It could also catch on the lip of the cable end at certain times and cause the RPM's to go up.

Back