Weird Creak/clunk In Handle Bars

BanditKing

Registered
When pushing my Busa around in a parking space (not sitting on the bike), I will occassionally notice a soft "creak" or clunk as I push down on the bars. It only happens the first time I push down on the bars, then it doesn't happen again unless I let go and then push down on the handle bars again, but not all the time.

I thought it was my handle bar holder getting loose, so I went to tighten the bolts and found them to be tight. I though it might be the pinch bolts holding the handle bars getting loose, but I tried to tighten them and they were tight too.

Maybe the rubber bushings between the handle bar holder and the top of the triple tree are wearing thin?

Always good to error on the side of caution. That being said Suzuki bikes do make all kinds of weird little sounds. Compared to Honda they are not known for their quality of trim. If it bothers you maybe take the handle bars apart, clean, inspect, and see if it goes away.

I actually had a bad bearing in mine. Replaced them with new bearings. I got a clunk when I held the front brake and pushed back and forth on the bars. They felt fine and everything was tight. New bearings and it was gone. Bearings in the steering head should last the life of the bike, but maybe I just got a bad set or something. Cheap problem to fix!

what you describe, Fallen, is very similar to what I'm experiencing, BUT, I had the steering head bearings replaced, at 65, 000 km about 5 - 1/2 years ago. The mechanic said he felt some "notchiness" in the middle and said that they could be replaced (I didn't feel it then). I'm now at 85, 000 km and I just noticed this clunking this summer. Now, the clunk only occurs when I press down on a handle bar, and usually only the right side one. It doesn't happen if I just turn the bars from side to side without pushing down.

Does that still sound like the steering head bearings?

I checked the price of the handle bar holder bushings and they're $30 EACH from BikeBandit.com! OUCH!

I checked the price of the handle bar holder bushings and they're $30 EACH from BikeBandit.com! OUCH!

I think you can easily visually inspect the rubber bushings by taking the handle bar holder off (you can do this without taking clutch or brake levers apart). I doubt they are bad though. If you hear a click when you push down on the bars, and everything is tight, might be an internal fork thing. Is it possible one fork leg is very low on oil? I think your choices are:

1. Something in the fork or maybe a slow leaking seal has the oil level down
2. Maybe the steering damper. I doubt this but you never know. I would visually inspect and tug on it.
3. Did you say you checked where the triple clamps clamp the forks? Remember to use a torque wrench on these because they require specific tightness to allow proper flex on the forks.
4. Brake issue, maybe a lose fitted shoe or something.

There are some smarter people here on this sort of stuff so maybe they have an opinion. I will say if you check everything and all is in order, don't worry too much about it but keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or morphs into something more threatening.

Back